Author Topic: Over-analyzing Star Wars  (Read 11719 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Over-analyzing Star Wars
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:37:35 AM »
I just went through the Star Wars trilogy again.  Some thoughts, mainly on ESB.

1. Funny that Han set up some kind of shelter to camp out on Hoth, but they never showed it.  Boy, they must have needed ALL the dough they could spare for special effects.

2. This giant creature that lived in the asteroid, and tried to chew on the Millennium Falcon - how hard must that sucker have been, to live in vacuum?!  And so it had some kind of atmosphere inside its belly, in which they could walk around, lightly clothed?  ???

3. Why is Storm Trooper armor so bloody useless?   :lol:

4. Why can't they ever hit the Millennium Falcon? 

5. When Luke and Vader are fighting, and Luke gets sucked out the window, is it a little odd that Luke is able to breathe and remain conscious out there?  I know it wasn't vacuum, but...

6. Leia kissed him, even though she'd somehow always known he was her brother.  =)

7. Ewoks are so cuuuute. But they eat human flesh.  :lol:

8. And finally, Billy Dee Williams. What a corn-ball. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Over-analyzing Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:47:26 AM »
Would you like to reconsider?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 06:14:40 AM »

2. This giant creature that lived in the asteroid, and tried to chew on the Millennium Falcon - how hard must that sucker have been, to live in vacuum?!  And so it had some kind of atmosphere inside its belly, in which they could walk around, lightly clothed?  ???

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c392132b05a201132b1d30100044&cid=vplayer
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:22:18 AM »
It's tacticool. It's only supposed to look tough. =)

I didn't know this. I'm going to have to pay attention to the ewok parts and not fast-forward through them next time.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:12:07 AM »
6. Leia kissed him, even though she'd somehow always known he was her brother.  =)
She just wanted to get under Han's skin.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »
I know, but she was still snogging on her brother.  This is a reasonable explanation to you? 

I'm just kidding, obviously.  She didn't know, so she didn't know.   

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 10:24:43 AM »
. Ewoks are so cuuuute. But they eat human flesh.  cheesy

Yeah.  So?

They're not the only ones.

3. Why is Storm Trooper armor so bloody useless?   cheesy

It's made of the same stuff they made cheap plastic toy trucks out of when I was a kid.  A few rough hits and the wheels fall off.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:40:35 AM »
I just went through the Star Wars trilogy again.  Some thoughts, mainly on ESB.

1. Funny that Han set up some kind of shelter to camp out on Hoth, but they never showed it.  Boy, they must have needed ALL the dough they could spare for special effects.

4. Why can't they ever hit the Millennium Falcon? 

5. When Luke and Vader are fighting, and Luke gets sucked out the window, is it a little odd that Luke is able to breathe and remain conscious out there?  I know it wasn't vacuum, but...

1. I distinctly remember a scene of them getting rescued in the morning, with Han popping out of a snow-covered shelter as snowspeeders whent overhead and he waved at them. No interior shot of it.

2. No way of explaining that one, I agree.

3. Storm trooper armor is actually pretty good ballistic/fragment armor, but there's not much that's man-wearable that will resist a blaster. Just like today, where full rifle-proof body armor is in the SAPI plates, but too cumbersome/heavy to wear everywhere.

4. They do hit the Millennium Falcon a lot. However as a small courier/pocket freighter it's larger than single-seat fighters, and has proportionally more powerful shields and deflectors. (TIE fighters, the basic model anyway, in contrast are a quantity vs. quality argument and have no shields at all...) Also, the Millennium Falcon is indeed FAST. If you've played any of the X-Wing or TIE-Fighter sims for the PC where the Falcon makes an appearance, it is incredibly fast and slippery due to all of Han Solo's modifications. It's even faster than the Alliance A-Wing, or the various advanced TIE models. If it keeps turning, it might stay in the dogfight area to get shot at, but you'll never actually catch it in a flat-out run.

In one TIE-Fighter sim mission where you're supposed to catch the Falcon, you've got about 10 seconds to do so from the start of the mission before it's out of range and it disappears into hyperspace.

Also, IIRC, there's a picture of what the original stock ship from the factory looks like and the cockpit is in the center between the two gapped winglets. So Han Solo has had some serious modifications to move the entire cockpit over onto the side like he did. (Presumably more room for engines/gear...)

5. Might have been part of a force-throw by Vader, or a Force-jump by Luke to escape. In the Prequels, you see more examples of how the Jedi are willing to jump/fall many stories and control their fall with the Force.

6. The family that lays together... stays together...  :laugh:

7. Ewoks = FAIL. Should have been Wookies, and the battle take place on Kassyaak or whatever it's called.

8. The pimp is strong with that one...
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »
8. The pimp is strong with that one...
:laugh:  LOLz

7. Ewoks = FAIL. Should have been Wookies, and the battle take place on Kassyaak or whatever it's called.

Yeah, sadly true.  A foretaste of Jar-Jar, I fear. 

1. I distinctly remember a scene of them getting rescued in the morning, with Han popping out of a snow-covered shelter as snowspeeders whent overhead and he waved at them. No interior shot of it
Ya know, I was watching it in the suckular full-screen, so that may have been cut off on the side.   ;/

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 12:20:18 PM »
5. Might have been part of a force-throw by Vader, or a Force-jump by Luke to escape. In the Prequels, you see more examples of how the Jedi are willing to jump/fall many stories and control their fall with the Force.
Of course, without proper practice, it can end... messily:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 12:58:54 PM »
1. It was covered with snow...didn't you notice the blizzard?....

2. The asteroids were made of beans...think about it....

3. Same reason TIE Fighters don't have shields or heavier weapons....lowest bidder & corrupt gov't....

4. They can, but great pilot + tough ship = survivability

5. It wasn't a vacuum...just a low-pressure area...Luke was breathing heavily, but Vader had a respirator.

6. In that galaxy, human civilization originated in Arkansas....

7. Esp. when the human flesh comes wearing it's own cookware (see #3)

8. Billy Dee is the MAN....smoother than smooth...and a gambler to boot...

If you really want to overanalyze SW...then go to this site...it'll melt your brain....

http://boards.theforce.net/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
I always figured real life Ewoks would be much slimmer and much faster.  I imagined miniature werewolves.  Using Dwarf guys in suits loses that effect.

When Luke gets sucked out, of course he could breathe.  Didn't you see the scene a few minutes earlier where they landed and were talking and breathing outside? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
It's tacticool. It's only supposed to look tough. plastic

fixed it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

detritus

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »
Also, IIRC, there's a picture of what the original stock ship from the factory looks like and the cockpit is in the center between the two gapped winglets.

actually (according to the background info approved by lucasarts) a YT-1300 could come from the factory with the cockpit mounted offset to left or right, or the centered. and very few of those built (less than the 1/3 one would have assumed) came with the center mount cockpit. 

though the direct development "improved model" the YT-2000 (seen in X-wing Alliance, where it's the main character's ship type) DOES always have the center 'pit.

Solo and Calrissian DID do alot of mods to the falcon but movingthe cockpit wasn't one of em.   

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 07:25:12 PM »
1. It was covered with snow...didn't you notice the blizzard?....
I was watching in full-screen, so it was cut off completely, and all I saw was Han walking into view from offscreen. 

3. Same reason TIE Fighters don't have shields or heavier weapons....lowest bidder & corrupt gov't....
My guess is, the armor DID protect them from serious injury, but they were still taken out of the fight.  'Course some geek will be along shortly to tell us what "really" happened.

When Luke gets sucked out, of course he could breathe.  Didn't you see the scene a few minutes earlier where they landed and were talking and breathing outside? 

Oh, I'm not saying it was an outer-space vacuum situation.  They were in atmo of some kind.  But if the air pressure was low enough out there, that Luke would be sucked out, wouldn't that mean the air is too thin?  I don't know.  I'm asking. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »
actually (according to the background info approved by lucasarts) a YT-1300 could come from the factory with the cockpit mounted offset to left or right, or the centered. and very few of those built (less than the 1/3 one would have assumed) came with the center mount cockpit. 

though the direct development "improved model" the YT-2000 (seen in X-wing Alliance, where it's the main character's ship type) DOES always have the center 'pit.

Solo and Calrissian DID do alot of mods to the falcon but movingthe cockpit wasn't one of em.   

Ahh... I saw a pic once on the net and figured the center cockpit for the original style.

IIRC, in the original concept art, the Rebel Blockade Runner was going to be Han Solo's ship, but be smaller in scale and have the Falcon-style cockpit.
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »

I know a guy who's read almost all the SW source material, EU stuff, etc. He says storm trooper armour is designed to offer only very limited protection - against grenade shrapnel and such - but not actual, full-scale, body armour against the various weapons of the SW universe. Rather, it's role is as a provider of NBC protection, C3, EVA capabilities, and so forth.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »
but be smaller in scale and have the Falcon-style cockpit.

I'm confused.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 10:45:19 PM »
I always thought the "shelter" was the Ton-Ton's carcass.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
I'm confused.

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/0037-0508-0717-2918_1963_ford_falcons_dashboard.jpg

This is the Mellinium Falcon as originally conceived by Ralph McQuarrie.

http://www.igorstshirts.com/blog/conceptships/Ralph_McQuarrie_2.jpg

This is the rebel blockade runner as it appeared in the movie.

http://src.northcomp.com/Tantive%20IV.jpg

And too bad you couldn't get Indiana Jones in the Ford Falcon's driver's seat for a truly mixed-metaphor...  =D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:10:39 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 11:46:43 PM »
I always thought the "shelter" was the Ton-Ton's carcass.

Yeah, he shoved him into the Ton-ton's belly, but that would have eventually frozen up, too.  And then we'd have another suspension of disbelief.   =)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 12:03:55 AM »
Fistful, which version of Star Wars are you watching? The original where Han shot first?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 12:04:59 AM »

(Note the little lightsaber zipper pull...)
I promise not to duck.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 12:40:09 AM »
You are over-anal-yzing. :lol:
Now stop and let us oldsters that saw it at the theater when it first came out in nineteen dickity two alone with our fond memories.
And I hated the ewoks.

Ewok. Mmm wok. Wok mmm. Stir fry sounds good.

Look what you did now Fistful. I'm hungry. =D
Now I'll be up all night cooking and eating and maybe a little more drinking. The wife won't be happy.
At least I have someone to blame it on.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG