Author Topic: Over-analyzing Star Wars  (Read 11718 times)

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: Over-analyzing Star Wars
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
I guess I thought part of the reason they wore the armor is that they were all clones and no one was supposed to know. 

Huh? After reading several novels and source books written before the prequels it became obvious to me that Lucas hadn't written the backstory for the Clone Wars until he started the script for Attack of the Clones. If Lucas had written half as much of the backstory as he claimed to there wouldn't be half as many discrepancies between different EU literature pieces. Many retcons would never have been needed. The reason for the armor was twofold; it made the enemies a faceless menace and it made it easier for the audience to accept their deaths thereby allowing it to be rated PG (other movies have done that to get milder ratings as well.)

I remember hearing somewhere about that blasters were illegal.

That was probably the work of a poorly informed author. Lucas never had any grand plan for the EU or anything else. He didn't even think about making prequels until the 90's. The official idea was that there would be 6 more movies made which would take place after the original trilogy. After Lucas abandoned that idea he had a group of authors plan and write books which take place as much as a decade after the trilogy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 06:17:11 PM »
The thing with the Storm Troopers having all the arms and armor and still getting constantly bested by the rag-tag Rebels...

It's the same thing in every action film. The good guys are always expert shots and bullet-proof.  The evil henchmen, no matter how butch they might appear, are always lousy marksmen and easily eliminated. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

It's the same thing in every action film. The good guys are always expert shots and bullet-proof.  The evil henchmen, no matter how butch they might appear, are always lousy marksmen and easily eliminated. 

So...does that mean we can expect the same from COBRA?....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046173/

...and will we really care?.... :P
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
So...does that mean we can expect the same from COBRA?....

Yes - did you not watch the cartoon?  NOBODY *EVER* got hit!  Lots of property and equipment damage, but I don't ever remember anybody even getting winged.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046173/

...and will we really care?.... :P

No.  No, we won't.  :lol: