Author Topic: 3 Million Subarus!  (Read 11632 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
3 Million Subarus!
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:21 AM »
SIA plant in Lafayette, Indiana makes its 3Mth vehicle. 

Apparently if you make quality cars you then do not need a government check.  Go figure.

Someone call GM.

http://www.jconline.com/article/20090930/NEWS/909300343&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

3 million down, more to come, SIA promises
By MAX SHOWALTER • mshowalter@jconline.com • September 30, 2009

When their overtime shift ended Tuesday afternoon, associates at the Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. plant in Lafayette clapped and cheered as their employer reached another milestone.

A silver 2010 Outback 2.5i was the 3 millionth vehicle to roll off the production line since SIA began building cars and trucks 20 years ago. The first debuted on Sept. 11, 1989.

Susan Retherford, the first associate hired at SIA, was among the employees who held a large sign that heralded the car of the hour as it was driven off the assembly line amid a shower of confetti.

"It was fun," said Retherford, a Lafayette resident who initially was hired as a temporary worker in May 1987. She became a full-time employee in September of that year and now is a member of the technical support staff in the Toyota Camry trim and final assembly area.

"I've been here 22 years," Retherford said. "I enjoy working for the company. We've grown a lot since I first started. I've seen a lot of change, but it also stays the same. We're still a team -- one big family."

Retherford was the first in a long line of employees at the plant, where production levels topped out at 216,198 in 1998 and are projected at 158,000 this year.

"Since the first vehicle was built at SIA, 9,000 associates and temporaries have been involved," said Motokiyo Nomura, SIA president and chief executive officer.

Over the past 20 years the lineup has included Subaru Legacy, Outback, Tribeca and Baja models; Toyota Camry; Isuzu Axiom, Amigo and Rodeo; and the Honda Passport.

"This milestone is a tribute to all SIA associates ... and others who play a part in this success," senior vice president Tom Easterday told the associates. "With the popularity of the Outback, Legacy and Camry, I'll bet the 4 millionth vehicle is going to come around a lot sooner than we planned.

"Thank you for your hard work, dedication and focus on safety and environmental stewardship."

Employment at the plant is currently 3,300, which includes 100 temporary workers and 10 full-time associates who have been hired since August.

Success of the recent "Cash for Clunkers" program and early customer acceptance of the 2010 Legacy and Outback models prompted the additional hiring and helped Subaru reach a record monthly sales total of 28,863 vehicles in August.

"It's resulted in Subaru having only a 16-day inventory on Sept. 1. It's normally 60 or 70 days," said Easterday.

Easterday said he anticipates the one hour of overtime Subaru employees are working on most weekdays and the eight-hour overtime shifts on two Saturdays in October will continue.

"We have tentative plans for additional daily overtime and some Saturday overtime in November and December," he said. "All we need is a little more economic recovery."
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: 3 Million Subarus!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
     They make a good car. I'd buy one if they made them in 2 wheel drive.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »
Why is it when I see a Subaru Outback, there is a obama sticker on it or some other leftist equivalent?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
Over the past 20 years the lineup has included Subaru Legacy, Outback, Tribeca and Baja models; Toyota Camry; Isuzu Axiom, Amigo and Rodeo; and the Honda Passport.

Wow, I learn something every day.  Does or did Isuzu, Toyota and Honda own a piece of Subaru, or does Subaru build other manufacturers' cars under contract?  I thought they just made Subarus in Indiana.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »
Why is it when I see a Subaru Outback, there is a obama sticker on it or some other leftist equivalent?
Lol. No kidding. Subarus must have some sort of lefty appeal.  They are still good cars though.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
I own an 05 Outback bought new in April of 06....99,000 miles by end of week....biggest expense?  a $14.00 piece of window trim that spilt and annoyed me...oh, the horror!!!
One day at a time.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:03:29 AM »
Wow, I learn something every day.  Does or did Isuzu, Toyota and Honda own a piece of Subaru, or does Subaru build other manufacturers' cars under contract?  I thought they just made Subarus in Indiana.

Indiana manufacturers many different vehicles today and in the past.  If you look back at history, Indianapolis had the potential to become Detroit as to auto manufacture.

SIA manufacturers Hondas, Toyotas and Isuzus under contract for those companies and organizations (such as the U.S. Post Office, the mail trucks were made here).  It's just like the gun bidness where competing companies make guns for each other.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:06:10 AM »
Lol. No kidding. Subarus must have some sort of lefty appeal.  They are still good cars though.

Mike Irwin, good liberal, could likely explain.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
Lol. No kidding. Subarus must have some sort of lefty appeal.  They are still good cars though.
Suburu wagons are practical, functional vehicles.  They're sorta like SUVs, but without the guilt.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »
Interesting how AMERICAN workers in places like Kentucky, North Carolina, and Indiana actually CAN make quality products, wheras those in Detroit . . . can't.

Or won't.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:04 PM »
Here in Missoula (hippie town Montana) I swear that no matter where I am there is at least one Subaru product in view.  I owned a 91 Subaru Legacy until 2 years ago and it was boringly reliable.  My parents have transitioned to all Subaru's except for Dad's Land Cruiser for his project vehicle

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »
Interesting how AMERICAN workers in places like Kentucky, North Carolina, and Indiana actually CAN make quality products, wheras those in Detroit . . . can't.

Or won't.

If I'm not mistaken only one of those locations is unionized.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
If I'm not mistaken only one of those locations is unionized.

You win the thread.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »
My nearly year-old Subaru Forester has 4,100 miles on it, and hasn't given me any trouble. It's about 10% as much fun to drive as the Accura Integra I traded in; conversely, it costs less than 50% as much to insure.

I've to confess I still don't like the idea of full time four-wheel drive, though I'll concede the vehicle over-steers only a very little, and does better on slippery roads than any other I've ever owned. I'd like to be able to open the rear door with the key rather than the battery-powered clicker.

Mine, incidentally, was made in Japan. I don't doubt the Subaru factory in Indiana turns out better vehicles than General Motors; I'm still not willing to take a chance on an American car, and wouldn't do business with a company that devoured tax dollars in any event.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »
Our family must be the only ones on the planet to have bad luck with both Subaru and Toyota.   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 01:43:18 PM »
Our family must be the only ones on the planet to have bad luck with both Subaru and Toyota.   :O

Must be :)  We've had nothing but good luck with both brands, 2 different legacy's about 15 years apart, a 2005 Tribeca, 91 4runner, 99 avalon, and a 94 land cruiser.  Conversely the GM branded cars have been horribly bad to us though the trucks have been fine.  A typical example was a 90s Pontiac that started burning oil at 25K miles and killed a factory stereo every 3 months.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 02:52:18 PM »

Yup.  Over 200,000 miles on my '01 Forester.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
25-plus years ago I worked for a guy who worked in the Ford factory in Detroit to pay his way through college. He said very soon after he started he was taken aside and "counseled" by the union shop steward. It seems the young man, who was only trying to do an honest day's work, was being "too productive" ... and making the career assemblers on his line look bad by comparison.

I doubt the UAW attitude has changed since then, and that's why the (former) "Big Three" are in the shape they're in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »
My nearly year-old Subaru Forester has 4,100 miles on it, and hasn't given me any trouble. It's about 10% as much fun to drive as the Accura Integra I traded in; conversely, it costs less than 50% as much to insure.

I've to confess I still don't like the idea of full time four-wheel drive, though I'll concede the vehicle over-steers only a very little, and does better on slippery roads than any other I've ever owned. I'd like to be able to open the rear door with the key rather than the battery-powered clicker

Did you buy a 2009?  I looked at the new Forester but it didn't feel nearly as sporty as the earlier models.  I ended up buying a 2009 Patriot that averaged 29 mpg while towing 1100 pounds cross country and hasn't hiccupped in over 11,800 miles.  My only complaint is the damn brake pads leave dust on the rotors and when I back up in the morning to get out of the driveway the brakes squeal.

I'm a huge fan of the Forester from 2001 to 2008.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »
From 2005

GM used to own a chunk.Any quality issues from '00-'05?

I remember seeing literature about Subaru sourced parts being used on a couple of different platforms.That little Poncho/Saturn roadster thingy leaps to mind.

http://jalopnik.com/129235/saaburus-no-more-gm-dumps-stake-in-subaru

The Car Connection is reporting that GM is selling its stake in Subaru's parent Fuji Heavy Industries, effectively ending the rebadging exersize that resulted in the Saab 9-2X, and leaving several new Saaburus stillborn. GM's 20 percent stake in Subaru, which it took in 2000, will net the company around $315 million after the sale. Toyota will reportedly take 8.7 percent of the existing GM shares, with other investors picking up the rest. The Saab 9-2X is safe for now, but an upcoming SUV will likely come by way of the Opel Antara GTC concept, not the Subaru B9 Tribeca, as had been planned.
jeff w

I like onions!

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:40 PM »
I want a 2010 Subaru Outback. Wicked bad. A touch out of my price range though.  :|

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:47 PM »
That's good, because the previous version of the Subaru Tribeca is butt-ugly, reminding me a lot of the Pontiac Aztek.  

It was even described here, in not-so-kind terms:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/subaru-tribeca-review/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »
What is pretty ugly for $100, Alex?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »
I know several people in Lafayette with Tribecas.  They are very utilitarian, but so ugly not even I can drive one. :O

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 05:50:14 PM »
I find for the most part lesbians and tree huggers love them, which would explain the leftist bent and the Obama '08 stickers. I hate the friggin' things. Good cars, or at least my '79 was, but freakin liberals drive SO DAMN SLOW and I always find myself stuck behind the damn things just barely making the speed limit, maybe.

Before anyone chimes in and says how it's their road too let ME say driving 5-10 miles over the limit is not unreasonable and is for the most part the norm. I don't mind if people drive slow but the courteous thing to do, if you drive below the speed limit and have some poor SOB or a LINE of poor SOBs stuck behind you, is to pull over and let them by. I do it myself and I'm usually driving 5 miles over. If some yodel is on my ass long enough and I don't feel like going any faster I'll SIGNAL, pull over and let them go rather than have to see them right up in my rearview mirror mile after mile. I call it being courteous. 
Avoid cliches like the plague!