Author Topic: Army and Marine Corp in a Food Fight  (Read 11700 times)

Waitone

• friend
Army and Marine Corp in a Food Fight
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
http://bigpeace.com/pschweizer/2011/06/08/usmc-to-us-army-you-cant-use-our-camo-army-to-usmc-the-h-we-cant/#more-126768

I just love it when the taxpayer gets hosed when government parties squabble. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: Army and Marine Corp in a Food Fight
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
 :facepalm:

There is something highly amusing tho in asserting that the USMC wants to be noticed and distinguishable by the camouflage it wears.
 :lol:

Uncle Sams Misguided Children indeed
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
Yes, it's not as if the Army or any other branch would want the USMC globe-n-eagle that's hidden in the design.  ;/

Maybe the Army can give the Marines all their berets.  =D
I promise not to duck.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
Wow, not too long after they fully rolled out the ACUs. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »
Didn't the marine core soldiers  =D  wear the same woodland pattern BDU's as all the other branches for the longest time?

If I have any annoyance in this process it is the Army is AGAIN F'ing around with uniforms.  What is this?  The 3rd major change in the last decade?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »

Didn't the marine core soldiers  =D  wear the same woodland pattern BDU's as all the other branches for the longest time?

If I have any annoyance in this process it is the Army is AGAIN F'ing around with uniforms.  What is this?  The 3rd major change in the last decade?

Yeah, this is supposed to be the ARMY, not some high school chick who refuses to wear the same outfit twice.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:47:22 PM »

The ACU's were a good idea in theory, but absolutely sucked in actual field use. Well, I guess except if you were standing in front of light grey/green gravel. They were way to bright/light for many vegetations, and too gray-green for most deserts/sands/rocks etc. I think ACU sucks in daylight so bad, because they also gave significant score weight to how they looked under NVD's in near-IR too. Although right now, the people we're fighting don't have much in the way of NVD assets. Although the Chinese would...  [tinfoil]

Multicam was much better, at least in the varied terrain of Afghanistan, but I guess it's "too expensive" for some reason. (licensing issues?) So only SPECOPS or whatever gets to have it.

So perhaps MARPAT was kind of close to multicam, and with a .gov entity owning the rights to the design, there should (in theory) be no licensing issues.

I don't think anyone will truly be happy with camouflage until nanotech chameleon/squid cromaphore cloth is perfected.

The one that makes me want to LOL is the new navy "camo". First time I saw an off-duty enlisted rating walking in the local mall, I was floored by how indigo/purple it is. So I guess the idea is to make it HARDER to see you in the water if you uh... fall off a ship or something.  :facepalm:

I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
Why doesn't the Army one-up the Marines and choose Multi-cam instead? :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »
Why doesn't the Army one-up the Marines and choose Multi-cam instead? :P

I think my suggestion above that Multicam (TM) has licensing costs associated with it was NOT correct.

http://www.multicampattern.com/manufacturers

Do I need to license MultiCam® to use it on my products?

No. No license is required to purchase MultiCam® materials.

I dunno. Although we do know the .MIL makes any number of non-rational decisions. Such as: "The troops want Multicam" so we'll give them something else just to show them who's boss."

Or like the now famous sandbagging the Ordnance Corps gave the AR-15 during it's initial testing, like refusing to lube them etc.

Or even after adoption, like MacNamara ordering the use of surplus ball powder for 5.56 production, even though it was known that IMR rod poweder was needed for proper cyclic rate and cleaner operation of the direct impingment gas system.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:09:48 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 05:07:46 PM »
The Navy camo should be gray so the enemy can't see the sailors walking around on the ship  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
I think my suggestion above that Multicam (TM) has licensing costs associated with it was correct.

http://www.multicampattern.com/manufacturers

Yeah that was my understanding as well.  Ironic that the ACUs were supposed to save money over the multicam, but will ultimately have cost more to roll out and then replace with something better.  

One thing that amazes me about the ACUs is how quickly they fade and become really light colored.  I remember the commissaries having signs next to the laundry detergents that were "ACU friendly"   :facepalm:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
The Navy camo should be gray so the enemy can't see the sailors walking around on the ship  =D
:P

Why not just totally automated ships, with people working from home over the Internet? It would really cut down on logistical costs, and might even reduce the need for daycare expenditures on military bases.

Yeah that was my understanding as well.  Ironic that the ACUs were supposed to save money over the multicam, but will ultimately have cost more to roll out and then replace with something better.  

One thing that amazes me about the ACUs is how quickly they fade and become really light colored.  I remember the commissaries having signs next to the laundry detergents that were "ACU friendly"   :facepalm:

I had to go back and edit to add "NOT correct" I missed typing it, completely changing the tone of what I was going to say.  :facepalm:

Me? I have a quasi version of multi-cam in my SHTF/riot/TEOTAWAKI gear. It's a mix of OD, desert tan, ACU gray/green, coyote brown, whatever was cheap, but decent quality. All blended together with a smattering of WMBD (Walter Mitty Basement Dust... ) and American Obesity Epidemic sweat.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:14:41 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
Why not just totally automated ships, with people working from home over the Internet? It would really cut down on logistical costs, and might even reduce the need for daycare expenditures on military bases.
Why do you want to put innocent divorce lawyers out of a job?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
Why do you want to put innocent divorce lawyers out of a job?

They could all move over to personal injury law, and class-action work. That should really provide a boost to the American economy, right?  =D
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
It would really cut down on logistical costs, and might even reduce the need for daycare expenditures on military bases.

Are you saying the Navy needs day care to keep its sailors in check when in port?   =D

There were times we could have used that in the Army for some of the idiots while in garrison....

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
Yes, it's not as if the Army or any other branch would want the USMC globe-n-eagle that's hidden in the design.  ;/

Maybe the Army can give the Marines all their berets.  =D

Gotta have something to wipe with, right?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
The one that makes me want to LOL is the new navy "camo". First time I saw an off-duty enlisted rating walking in the local mall, I was floored by how indigo/purple it is. So I guess the idea is to make it HARDER to see you in the water if you uh... fall off a ship or something.  :facepalm:

My ship (USS Iwo Jima LHD7) was used as a testing platform for the new uniforms back in 2004. We had the MCPON on board for a press event regarding the matter. The whole concept was to produce a new working uniform that A: lasted much longer than the current utilities (which were designed to only last 6 months of hard use) and B: were more presentable even after being worked in. In the MCPON's exact words, "the CNO and I told the designers that we wanted a uniform that sailors could crawl through the bilge, then roll around on the flight deck, and lean up against something the boatswains just painted, and then stand in ranks with other sailors and not be able to tell them apart." Basically, it's less camo against enemy sighting than camo against stains from the course of one's usual work.  :P

The Navy camo should be gray so the enemy can't see the sailors walking around on the ship  =D

Actually it is.  =D  The four colors are haze gray, deck gray, black (the three most used paint colors on the ship) and navy blue.

As to the Army, seriously they would have been better sticking with the jungle and 3 color desert patterns in modernized cut and cloth. I used to heckle some of the 10th Mountain guys in Afghanistan that if Mister Taliban ever started sniping us I'd be just fine in my DCU's.  :lol:

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 09:37:13 PM »
My ship (USS Iwo Jima LHD7) was used as a testing platform for the new uniforms back in 2004. We had the MCPON on board for a press event regarding the matter. The whole concept was to produce a new working uniform that A: lasted much longer than the current utilities (which were designed to only last 6 months of hard use) and B: were more presentable even after being worked in. In the MCPON's exact words, "the CNO and I told the designers that we wanted a uniform that sailors could crawl through the bilge, then roll around on the flight deck, and lean up against something the boatswains just painted, and then stand in ranks with other sailors and not be able to tell them apart." Basically, it's less camo against enemy sighting than camo against stains from the course of one's usual work.

That makes sense. It's also good that the new utility uniforms look a lot less like some kind of prisoner clothing.   =)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »
That makes sense. It's also good that the new utility uniforms look a lot less like some kind of prisoner clothing.   =)

Funny you should mention that. Some of my utilities were labeled "Manufacturer: Fort Leavenworth"  :police:

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 11:38:07 PM »
“The main concern for the Marine Corps when it comes to other services testing our patterns is that they don’t exactly mimic them,” said Kent, who is scheduled to retire June 9. “The MARPAT design is proprietary, and it’s important those designs are reserved for Marines. We just need to make sure each of our designs is unique to each service.”

Why?  Shouldn't we all be wearing the best pattern for the current environment?  As 41mag said, nobody seemed to care when we were all in Woodland BDUs/Three Color Desert.

In fact, just go back to those two patterns.  I loved Woodland when I was in the Army Guard and hated ACUs after the switch.  Even just mucking around in the New England woods on drills and AT it was so obvious which was the better pattern for concealment.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
I despised the Navy dungarees. The quality was was absolute crap. They faded way too fast and I could buy budget blue jeans at Wal mart that were made of way better denim and lasted 10X longer and were 25%-50% cheaper.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 05:11:12 AM »
I find the NWUs pretty comfortable, a lot more than the utilities. Plus we no longer look like janitors/inmates. And on top of that we don't have to iron, hose them down with a can of heavy duty starch, and put in "military creases".  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 05:51:09 AM »
I find the NWUs pretty comfortable, a lot more than the utilities. Plus we no longer look like janitors/inmates. And on top of that we don't have to iron, hose them down with a can of heavy duty starch, and put in "military creases".  =D

Ugh, don't remind me of those. I had a real genius of a BM2 who kept scolding me for not putting creases in my friggin' COVERALLS. Every day I was elbow deep in paint, paint chips, rust, dust, grease and other general muck, and this moron was worried about adding creases to an item of clothing that didn't even call for them as an optional item. *twitch* Also rather into an Air Force NCO once who forced his subordinates to crease and starch their new digi tiger stripes despite the tags clearly stating "DO NOT STARCH." Only one small problem with that. The new high-speed low-drag digi-cams which previously had been nice and subdued on night vision goggles now shown like a beacon lantern, the starch apparently being highly IR reflective (which is also why they went from polished leather to unpolished suede boots btw).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:56:07 AM by kgbsquirrel »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 06:07:47 AM »
Screw it.  Take a hint from highly sought after badasses.

When they're good enough to win wearing that, they're good enough.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 06:39:09 AM »
Screw it.  Take a hint from highly sought after badasses.

When they're good enough to win wearing that, they're good enough.

Except....they haven't fought anyone for 200 years.  Probably a bit rusty.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth