Author Topic: Army and Marine Corp in a Food Fight  (Read 11699 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Army and Marine Corp in a Food Fight
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 06:41:03 AM »
Except....they haven't fought anyone for 200 years.  Probably a bit rusty.

You wanna test 'em?

Seems nobody else does either.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 08:05:28 AM »
You wanna test 'em?

Seems nobody else does either.

1000 yards of open field and a Ma Deuce and I suspect they'll be Swiss cheese.

These guy, though, might be rousgh at distance:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »
1.  The Army is issuing Multicam to people going to Afghanistan now.

2.  Don't forget the Air Force having their own uniform.  Very similar to ACUs, but not.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »
1.  The Army is issuing Multicam to people going to Afghanistan now.

2.  Don't forget the Air Force having their own uniform.  Very similar to ACUs, but not.

Not to mention that Generals seem to come up with these pet projects of their own, which do not mean anything for the entire branch of the military, but the press tends to run with the story (their own Army Times being the worst offender it seems) as if it were a whole branch-wide change.

As a total outsider, I've come to a conclusion that who actually does have the power to create universal standards in a soldier's basic gear like an adopted camouflage standard, or basic weapon to say... replace the M4/M16 family is hideously complicated, and changes from day to day with whoever's stock over in the DoD/Pentagon is riding high at the moment.

I suspect that only the POTUS himself, or DefSec actually has the kind of power to decide something like that and actually make it so with an order/penstroke, at least in the way the media comes out with a story that excitedly decrees that "THIS IS YOUR NEW RIFLE" (nope) and "THIS IS EVERYBODY'S NEW UNIFORM!" (nope)...

And even then, I'm getting the sense that when such a change does come down the pipe, it's as likely as not to be wrong, like the too-light/blends with nothing ACU's, and the "Derp... We's ALL Speshul Forces Now!" berets..  :laugh:

Right way, wrong way, Army way.
I promise not to duck.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 11:29:29 PM »
Huh.

I'm in the process to join the Army Guard to get my commission after getting out of the Corps back in '04.

If this goes I would wear my MARPATs on general principle, I earned 'em and if anyone wants to look close enough to notice the EGA they can bring it up with me then.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »
The Army is soon going away from the beret with ACU's and is going to allow sew on name, US Army, rank and skill badges. Also Velcro on trouser pockets going away back to buttons.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »
The Army is soon going away from the beret with ACU's and is going to allow sew on name, US Army, rank and skill badges. Also Velcro on trouser pockets going away back to buttons.

I've never understood the military fixation on berets.  IMO, a military uniform should do one of two things: make the soldier harder to kill (camouflage, bullet resistant vests, etc) or make them LOOK hard to kill (either by making them look scarier, bigger, etc, or, alternatively, like a badass mofo).

A beret does neither.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »
I always thought the beret was Clinton's way of flipping the finger to the military given the provenance of earlier media coverage of berets and the president.  In any case I glad to hear the beret is on the way out.  Hopefully an exclusion will be made for certain units.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
I should clarify.  The beret is going away as standard headgear with the ACU's, will now be the Patrol Cap.  The beret will still be around for wear with the Class A's/Blues.  Plus with the new Blues, NCO's are to wear the bus drivers cap.  Of course being in a CAV unit I will just wear my Stetson. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 03:57:27 PM »
I should clarify.  The beret is going away as standard headgear with the ACU's, will now be the Patrol Cap.  The beret will still be around for wear with the Class A's/Blues.  Plus with the new Blues, NCO's are to wear the bus drivers cap.  Of course being in a CAV unit I will just wear my Stetson. =D

What's a patrol cap?

And what's a bus driver's cap (if I'm not a bus driver)?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »
What's a patrol cap?

And what's a bus driver's cap (if I'm not a bus driver)?

Patrol Cap:

Army Service Cap:

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
Yep, still no uniform neck or ear sun protection while in garrison.  Super.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
Yep, still no uniform neck or ear sun protection while in garrison.  Super.

While true, I don't care right now.

I'm so glad not to have to wear a black wool blanket on my head in FL, that I'll take my Patrol Cap back and grin the whole time.

Besides Boonie Caps look stupid in garrison.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 04:54:06 PM »

Besides Boonie Caps look stupid in garrison.

Unless it is a hot female airforce member with just a t shirt and trousers.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »
Never did care for those patrol caps. They always look messy when donned after being stowed in the pockets or such. Much prefer the 8-points the Navy and Marine Corps uses. Even after being folded in half, scrunched up, and stuffed in a pocket the stitching used in them helps them retain their shape.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 12:47:22 AM »
I always thought the beret was Clinton's way of flipping the finger to the military given the provenance of earlier media coverage of berets and the president.  In any case I glad to hear the beret is on the way out.  Hopefully an exclusion will be made for certain units.

Nope, that was Shinseki's gift to the Army.  He saw a Ranger unit.  Said the black beret made them look hardcore and thought the whole army would look hardcore if only they had berets.  He was wrong, so horribly, terribly wrong.  Most can't wear it properly and end up looking like they should be tossing pizza's not shooting bullets.   It just needs to go back to Rangers (black), Airborne (maroon) and Special Forces (green). 

The patrol cap needs to be the headgear with the daily wear uniform (whatever they may be) and the Army Service aka "Bus Driver" Cap with the dress blues.  Killing the class A's wear a mixed blessing, it was ugly, but at least gave you a "Business Casual" with the short sleeve shirt and the black sweater (tie optional).  Which took the place of khaki's.   There needs to be an "undress" uniform but dress blue pants, white shirt and black tie ain't it (no rank insignia, for one).   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 12:56:03 AM »
After six years in the Army Guard I can count the number of times we wore our berets on all my fingers and toes, with toes left over.  It was one of the few benefits of being in an infantry unit.  We were issued boonies but only wore them when we were playing OPFOR.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!