Author Topic: Penn State Gets What It Had Coming  (Read 11655 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Penn State Gets What It Had Coming
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »
I mostly agree with ArfinGreebly...lot's of valid points.  However, it does send a message to every institution that crap like this will result in severe penalties to the whole institution, and that the whole institution (every/any institution) will pay a price for turning a blind eye to moral, ethical, and legal issues. 

I agree, but I wonder how many innocent folks will be adversely affected by the punishment.

I think it'll work. I think it sends a message.

I guess the crux of my feelings on the issue is that I simply feel bad for those who didn't do anything wrong :-S
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »
Can i steal this word for word for another forum?

Sure.

If you feel it has value, by all means use it.

Attribution would be nice, but I'm not a big stickler for that.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »
Sure.

If you feel it has value, by all means use it.

Attribution would be nice, but I'm not a big stickler for that.

I'd prefer to be vague (i.e., a guy from another board I frequent) because there's a good contingent of antis on this particular board and I don't want them snooping around.

However you'd like it attributed though, let me know. It's a pretty good summation of how I feel on it.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »
I'd prefer to be vague (i.e., a guy from another board I frequent) because there's a good contingent of antis on this particular board and I don't want them snooping around.

However you'd like it attributed though, let me know. It's a pretty good summation of how I feel on it.

Nah.  Don't need to draw in the trolls.

Your take is just fine.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 01:41:40 AM »
It might even be the case that an abused child will lose a scholarship because of this, or that the trauma of having the whole program attacked will only make things worse for many of the victims.

Way to go - scorched earth makes us feel good, and that's what matters most  ;/
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 03:16:00 AM »
Scorched earth? Hyperbole much? They got off light and if they had done the right thibg coulda avoided it all.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »
In my opinion, every last individual who knew about the child molesting but failed to call the police ought to be criminally prosecuted as an accessory - part of a cover-up, with possible conspiracy charges thrown in - and face serious fines and jail time. This is a matter for law enforcement, and ought to be prosecuted vigorously.

The administrators who hired & managed such people ought to be gone - fired, with no golden parachute - and banned from all other academic positions. THIS is where the NCAA should be playing; go after the people involved, and see to it that they NEVER have a position at another NCAA institution again.

Fining the institution, removing more than a decade's worth of victories, imposing additional sanctions without following the usual procedures . . . that just seems a bit "off" to me. (Hmmm - when removing the victories, does that mean that the QB's who won those games now have to update their college ball stats to show nothing but losses?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
It might even be the case that an abused child will lose a scholarship because of this, or that the trauma of having the whole program attacked will only make things worse for many of the victims.

Way to go - scorched earth makes us feel good, and that's what matters most  ;/

I thought your first sentence was sarcastic, and I was like  :lol:

Then I realized you were serious and I was like  :O  ;/  :facepalm:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »
My objection is not to "punishing institutions" per se, because there are such things as evil institutions.

My objection is to punishing an institution -- made up largely of people who are not culpable -- while failing to punish those who are culpable.

Sixty million bucks?  Who's paying that?  The people who committed these crimes?  Not likely.  Who suffers when the university is stripped of its victories and banned from bowl games?  The perpetrators?  Well, no.

You want to punish the "institution?"  I have no beef with that so long as your punishment reaches the actual perpetrators.

Everyone is dancing around and cheering this decision as though it constitutes justice.

I'd really like to see a list of the people who actually committed this atrocity, along with a list of how the punishment directly affects each of them.

I can accept a certain level of collateral damage, but the collateral damage without an actual hit on target is kinda pointless, wouldn't you think?

The perps are already getting slowly put in front of the legal system. PA has been rocked by a good number of scandals relating to inappropriate conduct by our legal system, so this will be interesting.

PSU has been fostering an environment of sports trumping the legal system for a very long time. It's far from the only place. Even my podunk university tried to do the same thing. Even my HS looked the other way, and after Columbine was terrified that sports players could possibly be given retribution for their actions. Personally, I could always care less if the masses view sports as being even more important than religion. Tis their right to worship as they please. Until they believe their worship trumps the rule of law and other folks' rights. 

The institution promoted the climate of absolute right of the sports programs. The institution promoted a high level of unaccountability in their sports programs. The institution certainly did not turn down the checks from the sports programs. The institution directly profited from this, everyone up and down the line knowing to STFU. Even janitors knew, and knew not to say anything because at a minimum they'd be fired. 

Also, more than a couple people heard of Ray Gricar and thought best to leave some stones unturned.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
I agree, but I wonder how many innocent folks will be adversely affected by the punishment.

I guess the crux of my feelings on the issue is that I simply feel bad for those who didn't do anything wrong :-S
There are always "innocents" affected by these punishments, but that is nothing new.  I have no problem with the punishment.  IMO, the school should go a bit further with the athletic program management and school management who may have known about it.

When I was a student at A&M, we got punished with scholarship reductions and no TV for a year because one rich booster in Dallas who hired athletes for summer jobs was paying them for days they didn't show up.  No one at the school even knew it was going on.  That didn't stop the NCAA from slapping penalties on that affected everyone. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »

I can feel bad for them, but that's on the school not the NCAA.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »
The perps are already getting slowly put in front of the legal system. PA has been rocked by a good number of scandals relating to inappropriate conduct by our legal system, so this will be interesting.

PSU has been fostering an environment of sports trumping the legal system for a very long time. It's far from the only place. Even my podunk university tried to do the same thing. Even my HS looked the other way, and after Columbine was terrified that sports players could possibly be given retribution for their actions. Personally, I could always care less if the masses view sports as being even more important than religion. Tis their right to worship as they please. Until they believe their worship trumps the rule of law and other folks' rights. 

The institution promoted the climate of absolute right of the sports programs. The institution promoted a high level of unaccountability in their sports programs. The institution certainly did not turn down the checks from the sports programs. The institution directly profited from this, everyone up and down the line knowing to STFU. Even janitors knew, and knew not to say anything because at a minimum they'd be fired. 

Also, more than a couple people heard of Ray Gricar and thought best to leave some stones unturned.

Well put Rev, and I think that holds true for a lot of other "Institutes of Higher Learning".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/tom-price-penn-state-sanctions-september-11_n_1699775.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

In case anyone was thinking that I was kidding that plenty of folks believe ANY form of punishment is abhorrent and intolerable.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/tom-price-penn-state-sanctions-september-11_n_1699775.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

In case anyone was thinking that I was kidding that plenty of folks believe ANY form of punishment is abhorrent and intolerable.

Sandusky's in jail and Paterno died -- what's yer problem?

Nothing to see here, move along now ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
But it's FOOTBALL, Rev! Don't you understand how important that is?

Yet another reason I despise sports
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 06:32:23 PM »
Sandusky's in jail and Paterno died -- what's yer problem?

Why are we letting Paterno off so easy?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »

[Gobsmacked] Any word on when he's going to apologize to the 9/11 victims' families?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 10:03:06 PM »
But it's FOOTBALL, Rev! Don't you understand how important that is?

Yet another reason I despise sports fandom.

I like sports plenty.  It is the yahoos in the bleachers that make me wanna knock heads.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »
It's not what they have coming, but it's a start.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
[Gobsmacked] Any word on when he's going to apologize to the 9/11 victims' families?

He isn't. And his words may have been considered impolitic by other PSU fans, but not the sentiment. FB is lighting up with "You can't change history!", "WE ARE PENN STATE", etc etc. 

I have always loathed sports fandom. Might you, I say this being fond of MMA. But hell would freeze over before I support a sports program over an entity that actively assisted a pedophile. 

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
I was amazed at some of the twitter reactions posted here:

Some NSFW language:
http://deadspin.com/5928385/

But, as other have stated, football is a religion for many. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
He isn't. And his words may have been considered impolitic by other PSU fans, but not the sentiment. FB is lighting up with "You can't change history!", "WE ARE PENN STATE", etc etc. 

I have always loathed sports fandom. Might you, I say this being fond of MMA. But hell would freeze over before I support a sports program over an entity that actively assisted a pedophile. 

Their own reactions prove why the institution had to be "punished" too.
I promise not to duck.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
AJ hit the nail on the head.

And honestly, I think the death penalty on the program SHOULD have been used
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/us/pennsylvania-penn-state-insurer/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

An interesting but not unexpected development in my area of risk management.  This is not unusual, and this has happened most frequently in recent years in the clergy sex abuse cases.  It all has to do with the wording of the insurance policies that were in effect when the acts occurred.  Eventually, a court will decide if the insurers are on the hook or not based on an interpretation of the policy language.

Because of these sort of cases, the commercial insurance policies in recent years generally have specific exclusions that clearly state that there is no insurance coverage for these cases.  It is similar to your homeowners' insurance policy that now have an exclusion for sexual abuse, intended or not.  

So if there is no insurance coverage, the University and ultimately the tax payers of the state (since this is a state school if I recall correctly) will be paying legal fees, costs, settlements and awards out of the University budget.  If the Court finds under the policy language that there is a duty to defend but not indemnify (unlikely), then the insurance company would have to pay the costs of defense but not any verdicts or settlements.   In most cases, courts are reluctant to have insurers pay for criminal activity such as sexual abuse, since this is against public policy and the insurance is supposed to cover accidental exposures, not deliberate or criminal acts by the insured.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:43:37 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/us/pennsylvania-penn-state-insurer/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

An interesting but not unexpected development in my area of risk management.  This is not unusual, and this has happened most frequently in recent years in the clergy sex abuse cases.  It all has to do with the wording of the insurance policies that were in effect when the acts occurred.  Eventually, a court will decide if the insurers are on the hook or not based on an interpretation of the policy language.

Because of these sort of cases, the commercial insurance policies in recent years generally have specific exclusions that clearly state that there is no insurance coverage for these cases.  It is similar to your homeowners' insurance policy that now have an exclusion for sexual abuse, intended or not.  

So if there is no insurance coverage, the University and ultimately the tax payers of the state (since this is a state school if I recall correctly) will be paying legal fees, costs, settlements and awards out of the University budget.  If the Court finds under the policy language that there is a duty to defend but not indemnify (unlikely), then the insurance company would have to pay the costs of defense but not any verdicts or settlements.   In most cases, courts are reluctant to have insurers pay for criminal activity such as sexual abuse, since this is against public policy and the insurance is supposed to cover accidental exposures, not deliberate or criminal acts by the insured.

Short answer, no, it is not a state school.

Long answer, yes and no.  It's a state school when it is convenient and it is not a state school when it is inconvenient.  It's a "state-related" university, and a land grant university.  It's part of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education, gets state funding but is independent.  OTOH, it has 32 board members. Governor, six governor appointees, three department Secretaries means the State has 10 board members. Rest are elected by alumni or agriculture societies. It's intentionally convoluted.

The PA Legislature is making it clear that PSU had better not be charging the state for their fines. Technically, PA Legislature cannot demand to see PSU's financial and budget information. OTOH, they can stop the checks. If PSU withholds information or spends state money, they will see those checks stop coming until information is provided or the state is reimbursed. I do wonder who put that to folks in the State government.