Author Topic: Life in the 1980's  (Read 11785 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Life in the 1980's
« on: March 24, 2007, 07:19:15 PM »
How many of us can relate?

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE".

2. You watched the Pound Puppies.

3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of Belair " ...and can do the "Carlton".

4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.

5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.

6. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.

7. You know that "WOAH " comes from Joey on Blossom.

8. Two words: Hammer Pants.

9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock ".

10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect.

11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales". (Woo ooh!)

12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.

13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.

14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles " on the big screen... and still know the turtles names.

15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.

16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side.

17. You played the game "MASH ". (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)

18. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it.

19. L.A. Gear... need I say more.

20. You wanted to change your name to "JEM " in Kindergarten. (She's truly outrageous)

21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing " and all the Ramona books.

22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF".

23. You wanted to be a Goonie.

24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (Some of us... head-to-toe!)

25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.

26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.

27. You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pail Kids in the schoolyard.

28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.

29. You still get the urge to say "NOT " after every sentence.

30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.

31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band.

32. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hookup.

33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets.

34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (And like 24, probably in neon colors, too.)

35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"

36. You remember, "I've fallen and I can't get up."

37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.

38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.

39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.

40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.

41. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement.

42. You remember Popples.

43. "Don't worry, be happy"

44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks.

45. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do...getting yelled at by "younger hip" members of the family)

46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK "

47. You remember boom boxes and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.

48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.

49. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!"

50. You remember watching "Rainbow Bright" and "My Little Pony Tales "

51. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.

52. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.

53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool... and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB".

54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell ", the ORIGINAL class.

55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.

56. You just sang those words to yourself.

57. You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.

58. Homemade Levi shorts. (The shorter the better.)

59. You remember when mullets were cool!

60. You had a mullet!

61. You still sing, "We are the World"

62. You tight rolled your jeans.

63. You owned a bannana clip.

64. You remember, "Where's the Beef?"

65. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' about Willis?"

66. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.

67. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head,aren't you!
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Vodka7

• friend
Re: Life in the 1980's
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:28:06 PM »
Oh Jesus, I got to number nine and couldn't take anymore.  That is definitely a decade better off forgotten.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:39:12 PM »
Sorry, but by the 1980's I was already in my 30's and had started my own business. I remember tax cuts, rollbacks on interest deductions, increasing IRS scrutiny on deductions for home offices, and of course the USSR.

On the upside of things, I remember my wife and I having a glorious time. We had parties of fifty or more people at our small apartment, and more romance than I could ever have imagined.

Despite my skinny frame, I was strong, and was able to do almost anything with cars and motors.

I would gladly give one of my limbs to go back to those days.

If you want to scratch the memories of my childhood, you'll have to go back nearly fifty years.

I will say this, though: while I really disliked the music that came out of the 1980's, today's music makes me yearn for those days. Wink

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 02:02:02 AM »
That is definitely a decade better off forgotten.
On the upside of things, I remember my wife and I having a glorious time. We had parties of fifty or more people at our small apartment, and more romance than I could ever have imagined.

That's exactly why I don't remember much of the 80's.  It was a hard working- hard partying decade for me as well.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 04:02:37 AM »
That is definitely a decade better off forgotten.

Yup.  I was an adult by that time and the 80s were all kind of a blur.

Pound Puppies.

Death Row Dogs.

After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"

Disturbed, that's what you are Paul Reubens.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 04:19:33 AM »

I will say this, though: while I really disliked the music that came out of the 1980's, today's music makes me yearn for those days.

Thats profound.  I was thinking the same thing exactly when channel surfing past an old pop-up video rerun was on....

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 04:40:12 AM »
Sorry, but by the 1980's I was already in my 30's and had started my own business. I remember tax cuts, rollbacks on interest deductions, increasing IRS scrutiny on deductions for home offices, and of course the USSR.

Despite my skinny frame, I was strong, and was able to do almost anything with cars and motors.

I would gladly give one of my limbs to go back to those days.

If you want to scratch the memories of my childhood, you'll have to go back nearly fifty years.

I will say this, though: while I really disliked the music that came out of the 1980's, today's music makes me yearn for those days. Wink

I started college in August of 1980.  I remember Reagan I and II, releasing of the Iranian hostages, airtraffic controllers strike (and subsequent firing by an administration that knew what cujones were), lowering of inflation/interest rates, and some really cool music.  You want bad music?  Think '70s.  Disco, Muskrat Love, KC and the Sunshine Band.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 04:50:51 AM »
I was 15 in 1980.

I remember some of the things on that list, but surprisingly few of them, actually.

Popples? Hypercolor T-shirts? What the eff?

I disliked the music of the 1980s when I was in the 1980s, but given today's music scene, I'm finding a LOT to like in 1980s music.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 05:01:15 AM »
My version of #36 was, "I've fallen, and I can't reach my beer."  The others?  Too unimportant to notice.

1980 -- pretty much settled into the house in town.
1981 -- amicable breakup up with wife of 20 years.  Son gone to USAF.
1982 -- raised a lot of ruckus.
1983 -- started a whole new life in Terlingua.
1984 - 1988 -- worked on building the micro-empire.
1989 -- remarried, to a lady I'd known some 30 years earlier.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 05:20:56 AM »
You had to be an 80's child to remember some of that. Hypercolour t-shirts were so cool, until you realised that wearing a t-shirt that changes colour with your body temperature is choosing to advertise your sweaty pits.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 05:30:18 AM »

Popples? No eff-in' idea.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popples
WARNING: "syrup factor" is off the charts on this one. Approach with caution!

Hypercolor t-shirts? You remember those; the ones that would change color from body heat, so you got some really wild patterns when you wore them.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 06:29:05 AM »

Hypercolor t-shirts? You remember those; the ones that would change color from body heat, so you got some really wild patterns when you wore them.

Yup. Generra and some other designers made them. They stopped working after a few washes. I was a little kid in elementary school in the late 80's, and those, Benetton, and Guess? jeans were What Was In Style. The hypercolors were especially amusing in S. Florida, because in the heat of a mid-day summer, the transition back and forth between icy air-conditioned homes and buildings and the blast furnace of outdoors would make the shirt immediately and suddenly change color. Smiley

That list is missing a lot of male stuff, too. I mean, geez, Transformers toys, watching G.I. Joe cartoons, (A real American hero!) and whether you immediately get a phantom pain in the heel of your hand when shown an NES's original rectangular controller.

And to anyone who was a little kid in school in the 80's, this should be familiar. (image from wikipedia)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 06:52:05 AM »

Fraggle Rock Season 1 is out on DVD along with The Muppet Show Season 1.

Now those were good shows!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 06:56:10 AM »

Fraggle Rock Season 1 is out on DVD along with The Muppet Show Season 1.

Now those were good shows!

So is the complete collection of the Legend of Zelda cartoon series that was part of the Super Mario Brothers Super Show.

Good? Um... Heh.  grin
(but worth it for the cheesy 80's synth renditions of the game's music)

Here's the intro, if you're curious. Zelda's outfit is SO 80's!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t24JtFFm5Q4

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 08:04:56 AM »
I remember when 1980 was so far in the future than one could not imagine it ever coming.  And 1984 was the apocalyspe to be feared.

I spent most of the 1980's working my butt off, getting married, raising kids, and starting a business that didn't work out. 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
I was fresh out of grad school and had less than a year on my first REAL job when 1980 rolled around, so I was beyond many of the pop-culture items.

And even assuming I were 15 or so years younger, being male, most of the other items wouldn't have been on my radar 'scope. (Pony tail? Dolls? Streamers on the handlebars? Girl stuff, no doubt.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 03:28:01 PM »
I do miss a certain period of the mid to late eighties (85-86ish) when women were wearing tank tops sans brassiere.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dirty old man. And I'll be one 'til I'm a dead old man. (That's an old Fred Sanford gag for those who don't know)
Course in 85-86 I was 16 or 17 so I think I can be excused for this post! grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

mfree

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
I will say this, though: while I really disliked the music that came out of the 1980's, today's music makes me yearn for those days.

Eh, it's just some of it, the most commercially wh... uh, pushed stuff. I've got Wolfmother playing on the Xbox/windows media extender and they're "today's music".

Of course they're real heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin it seems, but they're still new Smiley

I've still got that Bon Jovi album on cassette around here somewhere...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »
Ooooh, last night I had a really bad 80's vintage song in my head: "Rock Lobster."

I had a co-worker who drove me crazy playing that song.

And just about anything by Devo. To me, they were just a bunch of guys wearing flower pots on their heads and moving robotically.

One tragedy is that nobody seems to remember Dire Straits these days. Fantastic guitar work.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 01:56:39 PM »
Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas RULES!

Brad

p.s.- okay, so it came out it '77 like Star Wars.  I like that, too.  So there!
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 04:13:59 PM »
One tragedy is that nobody seems to remember Dire Straits these days. Fantastic guitar work.

Being a wee babe in the late '80s I certainly don't remember them, but a couple of months ago I was introduced to Dire Straits and quickly become hooked.  smiley
Andy

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 05:56:23 PM »
Congrats, Cosine. Some of the smoothest lead guitar work I've ever heard.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 06:28:07 PM »
How many of us can relate?

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE".
I totally have.
2. You watched the Pound Puppies.
I totally did.
3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of Belair " ...and can do the "Carlton".
Can't remember all the words to the song, and I could probably pull off the "Carlton," but never tried...
4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.
I guess.
5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.
No thanks, I hated babies, and that show.
6. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.
Nope.
7. You know that "WOAH " comes from Joey on Blossom.
Never knew that, but I remember Blossom...
8. Two words: Hammer Pants.
I saw them once but wasn't allowed near them (badumpish)
I did!
10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect.
The handle bars, yes.
11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales". (Woo ooh!)
I probably could! sad
12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
God I miss those days.
13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.
I wear one on the back RIGHT NOW.
14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles " on the big screen... and still know the turtles names.
Dude I wish...I do know their names though.
15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.
Never had those, but have the game.  Always lost.
16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side.
nope
17. You played the game "MASH ". (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)
Never heard of it.
18. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it.
Nay.
19. L.A. Gear... need I say more.
Nope.
20. You wanted to change your name to "JEM " in Kindergarten. (She's truly outrageous)
I did, actually, but my mom made me change it back before I hit first grade.  I still have the pink guitar though.
21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing " and all the Ramona books.
Nope.
22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF".
Totally do.
23. You wanted to be a Goonie.
I am at heart.
24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (Some of us... head-to-toe!)
never!
25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.
I don't remember it, but I've seen the pictures...
26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.
She was a slut.  I dunno why that explains her only female in town-ness but it sure is the case.
27. You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pail Kids in the schoolyard.
Lunch boxes, yes, never got into Garbage Pail Kids...
28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.
the banning? no! D:
29. You still get the urge to say "NOT " after every sentence.
Haha, not.  er...
30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.
Nope.
31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band.
Never heard of them.
32. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hookup.
heh!
33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets.
Ours were made of the flesh and bone of our enemies! Cheesy
34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (And like 24, probably in neon colors, too.)
nope
35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"
totally.
36. You remember, "I've fallen and I can't get up."
OMG YES!!!
37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.
never been skating
38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.
not that i remember...
39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.
I tried once, I failed at coordination.
40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.
No!  h8 mcdonald's.
41. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement.
90% of it, *nod*
42. You remember Popples.
nope.
43. "Don't worry, be happy"
yes!
44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks.
tights?  wtf?
45. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do...getting yelled at by "younger hip" members of the family)
THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO WEAR SOCKS?
46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK "
no.  Just no.
47. You remember boom boxes and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.
Never did that, was too small. Grin
48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.
yes.
49. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!"
undecided
50. You remember watching "Rainbow Bright" and "My Little Pony Tales "
no comment.
51. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.
can't remember.
52. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
Alf for president.
53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool... and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB".
nope!
54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell ", the ORIGINAL class.
ORIGINAL FOR THE WIN  wtf was up with that college years crap? D:
55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.
Fraid not.
56. You just sang those words to yourself.
But I did anyway.
57. You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.
nope. sad
58. Homemade Levi shorts. (The shorter the better.)
hah!  no thanks.
59. You remember when mullets were cool!
wait...what? D:
60. You had a mullet!
still do. O_O
61. You still sing, "We are the World"
no
62. You tight rolled your jeans.
no
63. You owned a bannana clip.
er?
64. You remember, "Where's the Beef?"
YES, can't remember what it's from though >_<
65. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' about Willis?"
totally.
66. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.
I STILL DO but it's not so big. =\
67. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head,aren't you!
sure

I totally just listened to some Dire Straits.  <3 Walk of Life & Sultans of Swing.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 06:09:26 PM »
 I think that list is aimed at those born in the late 70's or 80's.  I was born in '70.  I remember my younger cousins into some of those things.  I can't tell you what the theme to "Duck Tales" was, mostly because I was too busy listening to The Smiths.  I did however watch "Space 1999" and "Thundarr the Barbarian."  Both of which feature the destruction of Earth in the 1990's.  By the later part of the 80's they had purged TV shows of this sort of nihilism.  I never recovered, though, and I'm still stockpiling food getting ready for a savage new age of super science and sorcery.  That stupid Sun Sword never worked when he needed it to, though.  So I'm sticking with the Mosin.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 08:15:30 PM »
That list was definitely written for someone born around the early 80's/late 70's.  1980 here and I remember ALL that stuff.

Except the girly stuff.  laugh

Oh and the one about thinking He-Man and She-Ra should hook up. . . any real child of the 80's would remember that they were brother and sister!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage