Author Topic: Life in the 1980's  (Read 11783 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Life in the 1980's
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »
For those of you born in the 1970's or 1980's who are/were into cartoons, I really feel sorry for you.

You were fed McCartoons. Perhaps 10 cells per second. The absolute worst quality cartoons ever made (the lack of quality continues to this day).

Go back and look at some Bugs Bunny cartoons. 60 or more cells per second.

No comparison.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 10:13:01 PM »
For those of you born in the 1970's or 1980's who are/were into cartoons, I really feel sorry for you.

You were fed McCartoons. Perhaps 10 cells per second. The absolute worst quality cartoons ever made (the lack of quality continues to this day).

No comparison.

Uh...No.

24 frames per second.

60? Are you thinking of your Halo game on the xBox?

Feature animation frame rate was always 24 frames per second, and that includes ALL of the Disney and Warner features.

Film is 24 frames per second, period. NTSC video is 29 frames per second.

There is no such thing as "60 frames per second".

Also, the transition to limited animation of 6-15 frames per second started in the 1950s, and continued through the 1960's and 1970's.  By the 80's, many studios were offshoring the "tweening" cells in between the keyframes to cheap studios in Mexico, the Phillipines and such, where less skilled artists would take two cels and draw the in-between cells, increasing the framerate to a smoother quality for less money.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 02:40:10 AM »

No comparison.

I was born in '76, and I watched the old Looney Tunes every Saturday morning. 

And they weren't on cable, either. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 10:21:41 AM »

Hey, I loved that stuff.  It was repeated endlessly in the 70's and at least through the mid 80's.  I don't think they were ousted until the late 80's or 90's.  They popped up again on youtube, but have since been purged by Warner Bros.  That's the same Warner that introduced the new "EXTREME" Bugs recently. 

[warning--adult language]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9nOD1h0m8Q

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 10:55:32 AM »
Ahh I fondly remeber Speedy Gonzales...  I used to love watching him....but then in the 90's he became racist and got banned...

zahc

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 04:05:13 PM »
One tragedy is that nobody seems to remember Dire Straits these days. Fantastic guitar work.

Preach it.

Trivia: Mark Knopfler (lead vocals) wrote the Princess Bride soundtrack. I know this becaues I just picked up a vinyl record of the soundtrack for 29 cents.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 04:16:50 PM »
Yup.  I just finished listening to the entire Love Over Gold LP.  Impressive.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 04:38:59 PM »

No comparison.

I was born in the late '80s, and I like Looney Tunes cartoons. grin I used to watch them on Cartoon Network in summer a couple of afternoons a week. (but I think by then I was getting the politically correct edited ones.)
Andy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 05:40:09 PM »

No comparison.

I was born in the late '80s, and I like Looney Tunes cartoons. grin I used to watch them on Cartoon Network in summer a couple of afternoons a week. (but I think by then I was getting the politically correct edited ones.)

Cartoon Network used to have a show a couple years ago or so called Toonheads, that, at night, showed all the long-unshown un-PC ones. The ones with the "Hun and Jap" caricatures, the blackface ones, all those, from Disney and WB.

Interesting snapshot of different societal attitudes of the period.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 10:03:56 AM »
Another spoof for anyone who was a kid in the 80's, also....remember these? Wink

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »
One tragedy is that nobody seems to remember Dire Straits these days. Fantastic guitar work.
Being a wee babe in the late '80s I certainly don't remember them, but a couple of months ago I was introduced to Dire Straits and quickly become hooked.  smiley

I have two of their CDs.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 10:13:41 AM »
Another spoof for anyone who was a kid in the 80's, also....remember these? Wink

I never had that particular one, but I remember the genre Smiley

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 10:14:47 AM »
Trivia: Mark Knopfler (lead vocals) wrote the Princess Bride soundtrack. I know this becaues I just picked up a vinyl record of the soundtrack for 29 cents.
Me, wifey, spawn, and Irwin watched TPB one night and caught his credit at the end. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 10:37:28 AM »
Me, wifey, spawn, and Irwin watched TPB one night and caught his credit at the end. 

Chris

Did we?

Or did we catch the end of it on our way to another movie?

I really don't think I've seen the whole thing since the late 1980s.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 10:55:28 AM »
we watched the entire movie.  I rented it.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2007, 11:10:20 AM »
ManedWolf, thanks for the memories.  Wow.  But that title is a joke, isn't it?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 11:44:01 AM »
ManedWolf, thanks for the memories.  Wow.  But that title is a joke, isn't it?

Yes, it's a spoof. There wasn't ever one with that title, it's a photochop.  grin
(Remember, if you hold the page with your thumb, you're not really dead!)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 05:29:13 AM »
we watched the entire movie.  I rented it.

Chris

Wow. I don't remember watching the whole thing with you guys.

I guess all the head trauma Abby has given me over the past couple of years is...

Was I saying something?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 05:48:41 AM »
Was I saying something?
No, but you never do. Smiley

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 06:26:23 AM »
The list is skewed toward those born nearer 1980 and females.

As to the cartoons, I recall Looney Tunes as well as some cartoons I can not recall the name of.  They contained no "name" characters and were just really interesting, well done cartoons.  In my mind's eye I can see one that takes place in a library where the book titles kind of come to life and do their thing.

Anyway, those no-name/lost-name cartoons were my favorites.

I was not enamored with the 1980's beginning of the cartoon/commercials like GI Joe, Masters of the Universe, etc.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 06:31:38 AM »
The list is skewed toward those born nearer 1980 and females.

As to the cartoons, I recall Looney Tunes as well as some cartoons I can not recall the name of.  They contained no "name" characters and were just really interesting, well done cartoons.  In my mind's eye I can see one that takes place in a library where the book titles kind of come to life and do their thing.

Anyway, those no-name/lost-name cartoons were my favorites.

I was not enamored with the 1980's beginning of the cartoon/commercials like GI Joe, Masters of the Universe, etc.

Hey, the 80's had some lesser known cartoons that were decent. I STILL think Joss Whedon must have watched Galaxy Rangers, since so much in there seems similar to Firefly.  smiley

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 08:02:04 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think 80s music was quite good.  Anthemic metal, catchy snythetic alternative music, Run DMC, Aerosmith, etc.  Also, if you think it is better than the music of today, you need to catch something other than MTV or Top 40.  Any music written before 1980 is what I can't stand, except for 50s-60s surf music.

I loved that list, especially being in the target age group.  But it got me wondering--was MASH something that was only big in the 80s?  Also, I thought the "S" stood for "shack", not "shelter", as is listed here.

For cartoons, who else loved Inspector Gadget?  "Next time, Gadget, next time!!!"  "Wrooooooooooooooooow!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 08:10:42 AM »
  But it got me wondering--was MASH something that was only big in the 80s?  Also, I thought the "S" stood for "shack", not "shelter", as is listed here.

Yeah, and A is for Attic.   smiley   I don't think there are any official rules. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 08:23:22 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think 80s music was quite good.  Anthemic metal, catchy snythetic alternative music, Run DMC, Aerosmith, etc.  Also, if you think it is better than the music of today, you need to catch something other than MTV or Top 40.  Any music written before 1980 is what I can't stand, except for 50s-60s surf music.

I loved that list, especially being in the target age group.  But it got me wondering--was MASH something that was only big in the 80s?  Also, I thought the "S" stood for "shack", not "shelter", as is listed here.

For cartoons, who else loved Inspector Gadget?  "Next time, Gadget, next time!!!"  "Wrooooooooooooooooow!"

Note the soundtracks of both Vice City and Vice City Stories, which are phenomenal 80's pop, "new wave" and metal collections, and just sheer fun.

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 08:51:16 AM »
  But it got me wondering--was MASH something that was only big in the 80s?  Also, I thought the "S" stood for "shack", not "shelter", as is listed here.

Yeah, and A is for Attic.   smiley   I don't think there are any official rules. 

Not-uh, they got A right, it IS aprtment.  There is supposed to be a significant difference between the quality of each.  Can you really say that an attic is better/worse than a shack?