Author Topic: Sometimes Fate feels generous  (Read 699 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Sometimes Fate feels generous
« on: March 05, 2016, 04:34:55 PM »
Walked out last night to the sound of trickling water in the garage. Water heater catch pan drain doing it's intended job. Ugh. No leaking connections, something internal. I kept all the documentation so was able to quickly reference the warranty information. Six years on the tank but for some reason I didn't drop the receipt into the bag with the other paperwork. Double ugh.

However, a glance at the info plate shows a build date of... 03/2010. Wow, under the wire by mere days. Cool! It's a GE unit specific to Home Depot. Pulled out the failed unit and moseyed my happy behind to HD. They did their thing at the customer service counter but told me the difference between the "prorated warranty exchange" and the replacement unit was $145. Triple ugh, but I a glance over the warranty brochure under "Six Year Tank Warranty" was the magic phrase "In the event of a tank failure/leak not associated with misuse, installation, damage, or third-party hardware this water heater will be replaced with a comparable unit." Once I pointed this out the customer service lady called the manager, who called the store general manager, who looked at the brochure and said, "It says what it says. If you'd like to back up to the door we'll help you load your replacement." Yay!

Home Despot doesn't stock GE anymore but the Rheem unit I got was, for all intents and purposes, the same unit with a different sticker. The wiring ports and stiffening ridges in the access panel are even the same. Aside from changing the solder connections to Sharkbites (may the inventor of these little gems be forever blessed with good fortune!) the replacement unit went in without a hassle.

I feel fortunate. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:53:57 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Sometimes Fate feels generous
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »
May I but touch the hem of your robe?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »
If it's an electric unit, get into the habit of inspecting the sacrificial anode annually, and replacing it when it craps out. Flush the tank regularly after the first year, too.

I know people who have gotten FAR longer than the rated time out of their electric water heater by doing this.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.