Author Topic: Laser pistols finally a reality!?  (Read 4713 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Laser pistols finally a reality!?
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 03:02:05 PM »
"Li-Poly RC aircraft batteries"

Ah bileeves dems the bats what are in my son's model chopper. 

I couldn't believe the output on that battery --I ast him if the decimal points were right. (!)

I recall using an artificial ruby disk for a window in a near-IR device.  I remember polishing it with Pepsodent toothpaste, but it didn't have to have a perfect surface to be effective at the λs in which we were interested.  Not soluble in water, and it had to be exposed to the elements.

"* Beam Expanders. It seems counter-intuitive unless you're familiar with optics, but to keep your laser beam narrow over a longer distance, you want it to start out bigger."

Thanks for the footnote. I was about to go "Wha-a-t?"

But would it be appropriate to change your wording to "...but to GET your laser beam narrowED DOWN over a longer distance...?" Am I understanding you correctly?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:13:59 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 03:30:13 PM »
It depends on exactly what you want. A focus at a given distance? A beam with as low a divergence as possible? (aka focus on infinity) A beam expander will help you with both.

Although with any laser, you're still going to be limited by the Rayleigh length: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_length If you really want to go far, you want as high a frequency as possible, so X or Gamma lasers would be best. OTOH, they scatter and absorb quickly in atmosphere, so would be better for space combat. (Same reason the X/Gamma pulse from a nuke heats up the air so fast)

So frequency and the Gaussian beam diameter at it's origin, if you plug them into the Rayleigh formula, you'll see how the beam is better and can go farther, or obtain a better "waist" (focus) in the desired place.

OTOH, I suppose if you fired a sufficiently potent X-ray or Gamma beam, it would partially evacuate the air into a high temperature but low density plasma which may pass the beam better. OTOH, plasmas can also become optically opaque too, so might make it worse. I just dunno... Which are all reasons I'm an IT goon for a software co. that supports people who make this kind of stuff, rather than someone who well.. actually makes that kind of stuff.  =D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:35:44 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
Terry, those battery packs can be built to pretty much any voltage and capacity you want. =D

the cells.
and the only link i can find right now for building, but it's hackish.

still looking for the math to design your own. bbiam.

edit: found it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »
Holy cow, AJ Dual, you mean this computer stuff can actually be used for all that there scientifical junk?

Who'd'a thunk it?

What do they do, use them computers to add and subtract numbers for the scientists?  You know, like compute sums and differences all by themselves?  I wonder if that's why they call them "computers" in the first place.

ETA (After seeing saglant's post)  Well, you can do that with any bunch of cells.  Get a pack of ten 9UVs from Walgreen's and clip the male-to-female connectors together and you've got 90 volts.  A dozen will get you 108 volts. 

It's the energy / volume (or weight)  = energy density I was amazed at.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:45:27 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »
what i was sayin' is you can tailor the packs to give you more run time, or more power right now. they are more flexible than the nicads etc. you just have to remember over stress them on charge or discharge and they go achmed.

you can even get over voltage AAs in such >:D

basically, there is much fun to have with these. =D

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 10:09:17 AM »
A lot of discussions of hand-held energy weaponry eventually get around to the fact that any battery with sufficient energy storage would also make a pretty decent bomb in it's own right. (Star Trek meme of using a "Phaser on overload" as an IED etc...)

Well... If you use LiPoly batteries for your portable laser, we're already halfway there by that standard too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37w8nzgcr9c&feature=related

=D

I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 12:27:41 PM »
and if the blast don't get 'em. coming off the lithium, they'll probably get themselves  >:D

edit: better add, that's be a joke. different form of LI. :facepalm: