Author Topic: Cup 'O' Joe!  (Read 17105 times)

stevelyn

• friend
Re: Cup 'O' Joe!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 05:21:54 AM »
Raven's Brew-Deadman's Reach.

http://www.ravensbrew.com/dmr.html
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 07:02:29 AM »
What is it about chicory in their coffee that people like?

It makes coffee more...coffee-y.  Stronger, a bit more bitter, richer.  At least every coffee/chicory blend I've had was like that.  The Cafe du Monde stuff I drink is downright evil if you make it like you would Folgers.  At that strength, it was intended to mix 50/50 with hot milk and consumed with something sweet (beignets, but doughnuts would work as well).  I like it at that strength (and without milk), but it's certainly not to everyone's tastes. 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 07:30:33 AM »
What is it about chicory in their coffee that people like?

adds a different wang to it. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
On the eight day God created coffee and it was good. On the ninth day Adam grew a mustache to strain the coffee and said, "Man, that's even better."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
At home the morning brew is Costa Rican or Nicaraguan from Coffee Heaven in Cave Junction or Siuslaw Roasters in Florence.  The evening coffee is generally Ethiopian or, when I can get it, Yemeni Moka.

The road coffee is generally French roast or dark roast from 7-Eleven or truck stops.  More commonsewership than connoisseurship, it is "monkey chow" (addiction maintenance.)

I was drinking Ethiopian for a while but purchased Tanzanian Peaberry this time. When freshly ground, the stuff just smells heavenly and tastes the same, even better than the Ethiopian.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
Sumatra right now.  Last month I scored a sack of coffee from Borneo.  That was great but I can't find it any more.....chris3

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »
Tully's Italian Roast, with some sugar and goat's milk(my son can't yet handle cow's milk, and great milk isn't the easiest to procure in quantity, so we keep goat's milk).

When I have the chance, I like to pick up a variety of coffees from Bucky's Bean Bag in Prescott(something new each time).  Sadly it has been nearly a year since I have had the opportunity to drive up that way :(

erictank

• friends
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
Been a while since I dragged out the roaster, so I've been subsisting on Giant's store-brand Kona blend, which is surprisingly good for a store-brand pre-roasted coffee.  I have several pounds of green beans in the basement with the roaster, just waiting for me to get off my butt and do something with them - IIRC, I have a couple pounds each of Costa Rica Tarrazu, Kenya AA (don't remember exactly where it came from), Sulawesi Toraja, and most of 5 pounds of 100% Kona - again, can't remember which farm.  Maybe I'll roast some on Monday.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
With my delivery earlier this week of 15 pounds of a nice Brazil, I now have about 140 pounds of green beans out in the garage.  About nine varieties or so, I think.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »
Found Cafe du Monde at a local grocery store today! Can't wait to try it.  =)
Andy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
Don't forget, at the normal ratio, it's going to be VERY strong.  If you make it at that strength, have some hot milk on hand to mix with it (unless you like very strong coffee).

I typically use 3-4 tablespoons for a full pot (12ish cups).  That's less than "full strength", but stronger than most coffees.

Chris

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »
Good to know, considering the can says "1 tablespoon per cup of boiling water," but then also says to mix with equal parts milk or to taste.
Andy

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
I used to spend some time with a Nicaraguan couple.  Their standard coffee service, which they said is common custom in Nicaragua, brought to the table insulated carafes of strong black coffee, near boiling water, and hot milk.  It was expected that everyone would adjust their drink to taste.  I shocked my friends in that I liked their coffee as brewed, won some brownie points by pouring myself only half cups. 
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 09:58:18 PM »
My Indian roommate in college prepared coffee with hot milk and instant coffee (Folgers?).  There was no water involved.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

erictank

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
Recently been drinking French Market brand coffee/chicory mix.  Made JUST a little strong (~2/3 tbsp/cup, vs recommended 1/2 tbsp/cup), with my usual half-and-half and Splenda - I like it.  Reminds me of the coffee served at the 1863 Battery Carriage House bed and breakfast Lori and I stayed on in Charleston SC on our honeymoon..

Available at Safeway, here in Northern VA.  Red can, white plastic lid.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »
My Indian roommate in college prepared coffee with hot milk and instant coffee (Folgers?).  There was no water involved.
Doesn't surprise me. In many areas of the world instant coffee is king.

As for me, Chok full o' Nuts is the go to "canned coffee". I can drink Maxwell house but it's a distant second, I very much dislike Folgers.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
Probably get me banned, but no coffee. Morning caffeine of choice is Mountain Dew.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »
Right now it is Caribou Coffee Reindeer Blend.  Not bad.  Fresh ground beans.  Also have some Seatles Best Level 5 that is already ground, three bags, that has yet to be tried.

And there is nothing wrong with Mountain Dew.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
Not banned, just subjected to a Churchillism:

Good!  More for us!
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
With my delivery earlier this week of 15 pounds of a nice Brazil, I now have about 140 pounds of green beans out in the garage.  About nine varieties or so, I think.

Adopt me???????

This particular AmbulanceDriver was born and raised in Brazil.  And while I'm not enough of a coffee snob to fresh roast my own coffee, I really do miss the fresh roasted coffee.  Especially coffee from home.  I actually learned how to roast coffee when I was about 8 or 9....  Over an open fire, with a hand cranked roaster.  We had some coffee trees on the family farm, so we had the whole process from start to finish. 

Dang do I miss that. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
Maxwell House.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2011, 11:11:37 AM »
Thought about getting a set up together to roast my own when I get home from my "vacation."

Where did you get your roaster and what did it set you back?  Then where and how much does it run for the raw beans?

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »
Hot water with a melted brown crayon.
7-11 was a part time job.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
 The WINO always said that the ALDI Beaumont coffee was the closest that came to German coffee and German coffee was her favorite.

I'm not allowed to drink caffeine, but since I was never was a coffee drinker, it's not a big loss.  Don't ask me to make coffee, I screw it up.  Sometimes even accidentally.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »
Thought about getting a set up together to roast my own when I get home from my "vacation."

Where did you get your roaster and what did it set you back?  Then where and how much does it run for the raw beans?

Whenever people ask me about roasting, I like to refer them to the one-stop shopping of coffee roasting: www.sweetmarias.com

I started roasting back in the early 90's, and have used a hot-air popcorn popper, a Hearthware Gourmet, a Hearthware Precision, a stovetop popcorn popper, a Caffe Rosto, stovetop stockpot, heatgun/dogbowl, a Z&D and a Behmor.  I now use the Behmor about 75% of the time, stovetop stockpot about 15% and heatgun/dogbowl about 10% of the time; the latter two just to keep my hand in using these methods.  The Behmor costs around $ 300 and allows me to roast one pound batches.

I belong to a co-op that buys bags of coffee beans from the importers, we split them up and then mail them to each other.  By eliminating the middlemen and vendors, we save a lot.  With shipping and everything, I am usually paying around $ 5 per pound for top quality green coffee beans.  Some of the rarer coffees go for more, but we run this as a non-profit venture.  At sweet marias and the other vendors, you pay around $ 7-9 per pound shipped to your door. 

So there is a cost savings, but to me, the advantage is having fresh-roasted coffee, roasted to our taste.  I roast about three pounds every two weeks, so at any one time, I have three types of roasted whole bean coffee in airtight jars in the freezer.  Most of the time, we think that Starbucks and other vendors have over-roasted their beans, so our coffee is much better.

The biggest danger is if you start down this road, you will be probably be ruined for other coffee.  We rarely order coffee when we go out because it just does not compare to our own.  But then again, I have a $ 2000 espresso machine, $ 400 grinder, $ 150 drip coffee brewer and $ 25 French presses to make it at home.  We each make a one-liter press of coffee in the morning before work (I usually leave before my wife does) and use the drip brewer on the weekends when we have time to relax.

So, it is an enjoyable hobby, and it has taken over from where I used to do homebrewing. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.