Author Topic: Say Cheese!  (Read 2449 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Say Cheese!
« on: September 15, 2012, 05:46:16 PM »
What's your favorite? I'm partial to extra sharp cheddar most of the time. However, my real favorite is Double Glouster and Stilton.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Say Cheese!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 05:51:09 PM »
I really like a British cheese called Red Dragon. I also like Havarti and smoked Gouda.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
Depends on what might be getting eaten with it. I like a good sharp Cheddar but if I'm eating pastrami on rye I'll go with a Swiss. Lasagna get ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
Sarge and I have similar cheese palates. Ultra sharp cheddar (Tillamook) and mid-range blue cheeses (Salemville Amish).
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
I like extra sharp cheddar in salads and such and to nibble on by itself, and I like Havarti a lot, but my favorites are the soft, mild, white cheeses like camembert and brie. LOVE those, at room temp, with crusty bread.
I've also lately been making sammiches (for ME) with marbled Colby-Jack - it's really a good sammich cheese.

I'm not a big fan of the stinky cheeses or the ones that are so bitter it makes your jaw ache.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »
Mozzarella cheese
A splash of balsamic vinegar and some black pepper.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Pepperjack.

And I would stab a mofo for one of those cheeselogs with sharp cheddar and bacon in it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
For eating on a sandwich, depends on the sandwich.  Meats, a soft gouda or havarti, something with onions and jalapenos then its the sharp cheddar.  Am I entertainting?  Brie with a semi-sweet jelly (lavender peppermint or white wine) drizzled over the top and cracker. 

There is not one cheese for everything. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
What's your favorite? I'm partial to extra sharp cheddar most of the time. However, my real favorite is Double Glouster and Stilton.

Depends what it's for.  Sandwiches, swiss is preferred, cheddar or colby if swiss is not available.  Omlette, cheddar is preferred, swiss is OK.  Pizza, mozerella.  Parmesian on various dishes.  For snacking, swiss.

"American" on nothing.  I can't believe I liked that stuff as a kid.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 08:28:19 PM »
Sarge and I have similar cheese palates. Ultra sharp cheddar (Tillamook) and mid-range blue cheeses (Salemville Amish).

+2

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »
All of it. I wish I could find this spanish hard cheese I had, cave aged, sold at room temp, it lived in my fridge for 3 years, slice the mold off and keep eating. So sharp!

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »
Depends what it's for.  Sandwiches, swiss is preferred, cheddar or colby if swiss is not available.  Omlette, cheddar is preferred, swiss is OK.  Pizza, mozerella.  Parmesian on various dishes.  For snacking, swiss.

"American" on nothing.  I can't believe I liked that stuff as a kid.

Actually, I really do like American (me and Anthony Bourdain) for some things, like grilled cheese sammiches, and mixed with salsa for nachos (Velveeta). Yes, I said the "V" word! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
Casu marzu

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »
Casu marzu

What type of cheese is that? The main reason I started this thread is to get new (to me) cheese ideas.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »
All of it. Except maybe some of the more...pungent examples.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »
Haven't met a cheese I didn't like (to eat).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »
Quote from: lee n. field
"American" on nothing.  I can't believe I liked that stuff as a kid.

You must be a commie.  ;)  American cheese goes on a cheeseburger.  (where's the flag smiley?)  Nothing else really works, although blue cheese is good.

For snacking, extra sharp Cheddar.

For pizza or quesadillas, whole milk low-moisture mozzarella.  They sell it in big bags at Sam's, pretty cheap.  It's hard to find anywhere else; the "part skim" mozzarella doesn't come close.  Non-aged provolone will work in a pinch.
"It's good, though..."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »
You must be a commie.  ;)  American cheese goes on a cheeseburger.  (where's the flag smiley?)  Nothing else really works, although blue cheese is good.

Blue cheese is excellent on a grilled rib eye!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
There is a brand around here called Seriously Sharp Cheddar - not bad at all.

Cheeselog with cheddar, bacon, and port wine! Oh yea!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 12:06:36 AM »
Favorite? Don't have one.

But I'm partial to extra sharp cheddar, swiss, mozzarella, gouda, havarti, munster, feta, parmigiano-reggiano, provolone, ricotta, colby, and pepperjack.

ETA: Regarding American cheese, the real stuff is pretty good on a hamburger. That yellow stuff that Kraft makes doesn't count.
Andy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »
Big fan of cheddar and mozzerella. Nothing exotic.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 02:06:16 AM »
American cheese goes on a cheeseburger.

I have never understood the concept of cheese on a hamburger. I don't throw a slab of cheese on a good steak, a roast, or ribs, so what make a burger so much different that it is ok to put cheese on the beef part of it?  ???

bob

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 02:50:42 AM »
I have never understood the concept of cheese on a hamburger. I don't throw a slab of cheese on a good steak, a roast, or ribs, so what make a burger so much different that it is ok to put cheese on the beef part of it?  ???

bob

The fact that it tastes good?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 03:14:32 AM »

bob

Oy! Mix meat with dairy a little, you'llbe converted. Start by sprinkling blue cheese on that nice steak. Yum!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »
All time favorite?

Tete de Moine, a Belgian cheese that's hard as hell to find.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.