Author Topic: AR platforms!  (Read 4835 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
AR platforms!
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »
I'm looking to buy myself an AR platform from which to build an EBR for about $700 as a base price. I'm thinking $700 as a base price (from Gander Mountain, as they are local) as a starting point. I'd like a flat top, since my eyesight isn't all that good and I'd like to mount some optics. any recommendations? I'm thinking Bushmaster or Rock River or something similar.
Any suggestions or guidance?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: AR platforms!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
Palmetto State Armory is a good "budget" maker or spend a little more and get a Bravo Company Mfg gun. My recommendation is to go the second route, you get that little bit extra attention to detail that is nice.

There are tons of other makers of course but honestly those two are pretty good starting choices. Smith and Wesson also makes a nice rifle.

Wouldn't waste my time with a Bushmaster.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 12:21:43 AM »
Palmetto is a good project foundation.

Are you building because you want something odd/off the wall, or because you're trying to save a couple bucks? In all honesty I've found the current AR glut has made it so most common build goals can be met by factory-optioned offerings. You mentioned Rock River. They make a metric buttload of models in prices that give project builds a solid run for their money. As a bonus you get a warranted, fire-tested firearm. Other mfgs have similar fodder.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:13:42 AM »
And for Optics you need to contact LensandLasers.com.   They've outsourced their customer service, but Bandara Paira really knows his stuff.  Make sure to ask for him when you call.    1(877) 327.2519

=D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
I'm with Boomhauer- for a few hundred more you could have a BCM.  I wouldn't touch a Bushmaster- they made pretty good rifles a decade ago, but have turned to crap since being bought out by cerebus/freedom group.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
Avoid Bushmaster, as has been advised.  S&W, Palmetto State, Aero Precision, and some of Rock River would be my go to basic guns. BCM makes high quality guns as well, just at a higher price point.

You said you want an EBR.  Other than optics, what do you want on it? Better stock, quad rail or key mod rail, upgraded trigger, sling, muzzle brake/flash hider, iron sights?  Barrel length?  The M4 is 14.5 inches long and a SBR which requires a NFA tax stamp.  16 inch is the minimum non-NFA length.  Other common barrel lengths are 18 and 20 inches.

Optics will be your biggest add-on cost.  Decide how you want to use your EBR to decide what family of optics to use. Short range, home defense will be well served with a red dot-type sight.  Shooting/hunting at 100 to 400 yards is easy with low power fixed or variable scopes.  Beyond 400 you will want more magnification, say 8x-10x.  Unless you plan to do precision shooting, you probably won't need more than a 10x scope, which should get you to 800 yards.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:05:26 AM »
Has Bushmaster gone downhill? I have a standard Bushmaster rifle, and though it initially had a minor problem that required warranty service which Bushmaster cheerfully provided - paying postage both ways - it's been accurate and reliable for several thousand rounds now. (Everyone can make a mistake - the GOOD companies will stand behind their product and FIX their mistake. in my experience, I've found S&W, DSA, Kahr, and Bushmaster will do so; on the other hand, Colt did not.)

Other than Bushmaster, from what I've seen, the S&W guns work well and are a "name brand" that's reasonably priced - regular price at Cabela's for the M&P Sport is around $740, and Cabela's is normally among the higher priced retailers.

I'd tend to stay away from piston driven guns - long term durability is a question mark for most of them, and they all tend to have unique, proprietary components. Standard, "direct impingement" ARs have FAR better parts availability and interchangeability.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
If you like "old Bushmaster", you want https://www.windhamweaponry.com/ they're the "old Bushmaster" after Bushmaster name/company got sold to the Freedom Group/Cerberus venture capital or whatever.

And yes, there's zero need for a piston driven AR. They're all marketing hype, and the only one that is 100% durable is the HK 416 upper or whatever they're called, and I think it's a $2500+ unicorn to find one. The simple truth is that all the other "good ones", 99% of us never get to the round counts that would tell you it's going to have some abnormal wear somewhere in the carrier etc.

The S&W M&P is a good choice for a quality but budget AR. S&W doesn't make much of the rifle, more so as they assemble them, but those who've tracked down the parts subcontractors, they're all mid to upper level companies in respectability.  Sportsman's and CDNN has been blowing them out at under $600 occasionally.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »
Palmetto State Armory has complete rifle kits for $399 with Magpul furniture.  They say all their uppers are fire tested.  The reputation is that they are solid budget guns.

If you want a complete store bought rifle, I would try S&W or Windham.  Rock River is excellent if you can find one at your price point.  Rock River generally has good resale value down the road also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 12:14:25 PM »
For optics, I do like AIMpoint.  The long battery life is just hard to beat.  I took my designated home defense rifle to the range last weekend to check zero.  I had left it on and it was still doing fine.  

And I would second using www.lensandlasers.com for optics.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
For optics, I do like AIMpoint.  The long battery life is just hard to beat.  I took my designated home defense rifle to the range last weekend to check zero.  I had left it on and it was still doing fine.  

And I would second using www.lensandlasers.com for optics.

Mine have been on a few years now.  I need to remember to change the battery.... eventually.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
What about starting from an 80% lower? Sounds very interesting and simple enough, then again I always liked DIY projects. Having an entire collection of "made in my home by me" rifles stimulates my imagination :lol:

Is there any issues with collecting these?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »
What about starting from an 80% lower? Sounds very interesting and simple enough, then again I always liked DIY projects. Having an entire collection of "made in my home by me" rifles stimulates my imagination :lol:

Is there any issues with collecting these?

With a jig and a Harbor Freight drill press?  =D

Good luck, you can still butcher them very easily. If you have/operate a mill, and have machinist skills, it's not hard.
I promise not to duck.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
Avoid Bushmaster, as has been advised.  S&W, Palmetto State, Aero Precision, and some of Rock River would be my go to basic guns. BCM makes high quality guns as well, just at a higher price point.

You said you want an EBR.  Other than optics, what do you want on it? Better stock, quad rail or key mod rail, upgraded trigger, sling, muzzle brake/flash hider, iron sights?  Barrel length?  The M4 is 14.5 inches long and a SBR which requires a NFA tax stamp.  16 inch is the minimum non-NFA length.  Other common barrel lengths are 18 and 20 inches.

Optics will be your biggest add-on cost.  Decide how you want to use your EBR to decide what family of optics to use. Short range, home defense will be well served with a red dot-type sight.  Shooting/hunting at 100 to 400 yards is easy with low power fixed or variable scopes.  Beyond 400 you will want more magnification, say 8x-10x.  Unless you plan to do precision shooting, you probably won't need more than a 10x scope, which should get you to 800 yards.

Basically, I want something I can shoot right out of the box, save for optics. I wouldn't mind something with the standard AR  front sight, as long as it doesn't interfere with an add on red dot or scope. I really would prefer something with stock sights to which I could add some optics, just in case the optics become non functional. I put a red dot on my Mini-14 and is is once again a hoot to shoot. As far as building a rifle, I just mean adding aftermarket parts, such as hand guards, picatinny rails, lights, lasers and such.

Does anyone know about the Ruger AR556? From what I've read, it will accept AR 15/M16 mags? It's right there at the $699 range (MSRP) that I'm looking for.

It's going to be a Christmas gift from my wife (don't tell her!!!!)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 09:46:47 PM »
Any front sight is going to be in the way of any optic that is 2x or lower. some don't mind the co-witness, but IMO, if you plan on using a red dot, then get a folding front sight or skip the front sight.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »
From what I hear, Ruger is making good guns right now.  I wouldn't have any problem with that rifle.  

I friend bought a Bushmaster (pre-change) that had the flip up front sight on the gas block (not a rail).  I think my Sabre Defense upper is like that.  Some new rifles come with the sights one way or the other.  If they don't, good metal flip up sights can be pricey.  I prefer having iron sights if I can afford them.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 09:56:56 PM »
Any front sight is going to be in the way of any optic that is 2x or lower. some don't mind the co-witness, but IMO, if you plan on using a red dot, then get a folding front sight or skip the front sight.

Good info. I would like to have the option but will forego the front sight if necessary. Whatever I do, I would like to be able to use a red dot.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 07:27:57 AM »
I would add that good rails aren't cheap. If your sure you want a rail, you might want to just buy a rifle with one on it,  rather than a base rifle and add one later.

I'd go with BCM for a good mid range value.

I'm also one that doesn't have an issue with a cool witnessed FSB. When using the dot I'm focused far enough out that the front sight all but disappears.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 08:50:25 AM »
How about DPMS as a start? They make what seems to be a decent "everyday" rifle at a very attractive $600 price. No experience with long-term durability if they're pressed hard.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »
DPMS is a good rifle usually.

Unless you already have all the machines, tools, and talent, don't do an 80% receiver.  Just go buy a complete rifle for your first one.

You can easily find a 16" carbine with rails, sights, and decent parts for $800 or less.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »
How about DPMS as a start? They make what seems to be a decent "everyday" rifle at a very attractive $600 price. No experience with long-term durability if they're pressed hard.

Brad
IMO, if it is a problem, just look for a rifle with the permanently mounted folding front sight on the gas block.  Then it isn't in the way. 

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »
I'm also one that doesn't have an issue with a cool witnessed FSB. When using the dot I'm focused far enough out that the front sight all but disappears.

This, all my AR's have a FSB and when using my aimpoint micros or various scopes it is invisible to me.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
DPMS is a good rifle usually.

Unless you already have all the machines, tools, and talent, don't do an 80% receiver.  Just go buy a complete rifle for your first one.

You can easily find a 16" carbine with rails, sights, and decent parts for $800 or less.

Yeah, I mispoke when I said "build". I just want a base rifle from which to hang a lot of aftermarket goodies. Thanks for the info!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 09:25:25 PM »
This, all my AR's have a FSB and when using my aimpoint micros or various scopes it is invisible to me.

Thanks magsnub! Good to know info!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 02:37:26 AM »
I bought a Rock River Arms about 8 years ago.  It will outlast my greatgreatgrandchildren.

And there is a massive glut of AR's on the market right now.  So you should be able to find a quality one for a good price.

I do need to get another upper for mine, simply because mine is very heavy (Aluminium handguards with rails, great for dissipating barrel heat, makes gun heavy.)

For pure put a big ol' smile on your face fun, Robert's S&W M&P 15-22 is a hoot.  Magpul MBUS Gen II sights, and weighs all of 5 lbs.  Steel targets are great fun. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.