Author Topic: AR platforms!  (Read 4836 times)

dm1333

• friend
Re: AR platforms!
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 07:33:06 AM »
Here's a pretty good endorsement of BCM uppers.

https://youtu.be/eQYV96hHoGU

Have you thought about buying a bare lower, saving a bit on taxes since bare lowers can be found cheaply, and assembling your lower with a parts kit.  I used a parts kit from PSA and it took less than 30 minutes.  That included logging on to the computer, assembling the lower, unpacking and mounting my PSA upper, running a function check and then cleaning up.  I'm pretty sure PSA has a "how to" video that I used.  The parts kit also comes in little color coded baggies.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 07:39:16 AM »
I bought a Rock River Arms about 8 years ago.  It will outlast my greatgreatgrandchildren.

And there is a massive glut of AR's on the market right now.  So you should be able to find a quality one for a good price.

I do need to get another upper for mine, simply because mine is very heavy (Aluminium handguards with rails, great for dissipating barrel heat, makes gun heavy.)

For pure put a big ol' smile on your face fun, Robert's S&W M&P 15-22 is a hoot.  Magpul MBUS Gen II sights, and weighs all of 5 lbs.  Steel targets are great fun.  

This combination will produce an extremely light upper:

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/20639
http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/2121/29944
http://www.smokecomposites.com/#!hand-guards/cgeo
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »
I find assembling lowers to be kind of fun, but I don't get in a hurry with it.  Lots of youtube how-to videos.  You can do it pretty cheap these days as well.  However, I would warn you that it tends to cause your AR's to multiply.  I think they sell pregnant stripped lowers so they can supply your more accessories.  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:43:04 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »
I find to assembling lowers to be kind of fun, but I don't get in a hurry with it.  Lots of youtube how-to videos.  You can do it pretty cheap these days as well.  However, I would warn you that it tends to cause your AR's to multiply.  I think they sell pregnant stripped lowers so they can supply your more accessories. 

You have to keep each lower isolated.  Only let them mingle when they are complete.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »
You have to keep each lower isolated.  Only let them mingle when they are complete.

Doesn't really help.  My complete rifles seem to spit out stripped lowers of left in a safe alone more than a couple months.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 05:43:03 PM »
How ARs multiply:

First you buy a complete AR, then you put in a better trigger, then find a new stock and grip you like better, then realize most factory built rifles are overgassed so you buy a new spring, H2 buffer, and M16 carrier. Then you want a new upper for longer range, then you realize if you just get another lower and few small parts you can assemble another whole rifle, but of course, this one has the grip, stock, and trigger you didn't like before, so you replace those too ...

It doesn't stop.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »
Does anyone have any favorite sites for the procurement of aftermarket goodies (ie, lights, forends, lasers etc?) for your AR? That's the "building an AR" I erroneously referred to in my original post.

Thanks all for your input so far!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 09:06:36 PM »
Does anyone have any favorite sites for the procurement of aftermarket goodies (ie, lights, forends, lasers etc?) for your AR? That's the "building an AR" I erroneously referred to in my original post.

Bravo Company for most stuff for me.  Brownell's, Midway USA, and Primary Arms are also on my go to list.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 10:03:49 PM »

Primary Arms is probably my goto website.  They are about 40 miles away in Pearland, TX so it is easy for me to get there and save shipping or avoid transfer fees for the cheap stripped lowers.  They are actually selling BCM complete lowers right now. 

I agree that you really can't go wrong with the BCM.  I have one and it is a solid rifle.  I acquired a Daniel Defense upper a year or so ago that I think is good and light weight. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2015, 07:10:38 AM »

Primary Arms is my goto. Followed by BCM, Midway, and PSA if something is on sale.

Optics is LensandLasers, or Primary Arms. Those two cover just about every brand I like. SWFA if I want a super sniper.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »
Thanks guys! Anyone know about Amazon's offerings? Yes, they do carry some AR accesories!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »
I've bought plenty of AR and AK stuff through Amazon.  The last order was a front sight adjustment tool for AK's along with Magpul BUIS for an AR and some lube. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »
I've bought plenty of AR and AK stuff through Amazon.  The last order was a front sight adjustment tool for AK's along with Magpul BUIS for an AR and some lube. 

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Oil-H2O-8-Ounces-Bottle/dp/B002UXRNWI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446421898&sr=8-2&keywords=Gun+oil

>:D

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
Well, it's decided. Tomorrow, I'm going to Cabela's to pick up a DPMS Oracle AR 15 Flat Top AR. $599!. Will send an after action report in a couple days. Have 12 MagPul mags on the way in anticipation of my AR purchase! I don't F*ck around when I F*ck around!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2015, 10:37:24 AM »
Well, it's decided. Tomorrow, I'm going to Cabela's to pick up a DPMS Oracle AR 15 Flat Top AR. $599!. Will send an after action report in a couple days. Have 12 MagPul mags on the way in anticipation of my AR purchase! I don't F*ck around when I F*ck around!

Congratulations.  It's amazing how cheap they've gotten. I built my first AR in 2000 for right around $700, which I thought was outstanding.  Adjusted for inflation I spent $967 building it with 2015 dollars.  That was with a stripped lower and a bunch of mail order parts and a used A2 HBAR upper (long since replaced) I picked up from the classifieds on arfcom.  Being solidly middle of the ban, I spent $50 on two thoroughly used 30 round mags that had seen better days.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2015, 09:44:01 PM »
Well, went to Cabelas today and my NICS came back (not denied), but "on hold". I don't know wtf the problem is but, am hoping it will come back "approved" in a couple days or so. My record is spotless so I have no idea where TF this is coming from. Anyway, if NICS doesn't come back with a reason by the 10th (accounting for the weekend) the rifle is mine. Gawd I hate the govt and all their intrusive BS!!!! My record is spotless and I can see no reason for this BS!!!!!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 08:54:33 AM »
these holds, and a lot of denials, are the result of other folks with the same name as yours, that have been naughty in the past.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »
these holds, and a lot of denials, are the result of other folks with the same name as yours, that have been naughty in the past.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. I have heard of a few with the same name as me around the country. One was a taxi driver in Minneapolis who put a million miles on his cab. In any case, if I hear nothing before Tuesday the rifle is mine.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
Update! I got the OK from NICS to purchase my AR. Done! It's a DPMS Oracle flat top which I purchased for $574 (after $25 off for signing up for a Cabela's credit card). I'll get off a few rounds out the back door but won't be able to really range test it till spring. I don't use my range during deer season. I can sight it in at short distance only.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »
Update! I got the OK from NICS to purchase my AR. Done! It's a DPMS Oracle flat top which I purchased for $574 (after $25 off for signing up for a Cabela's credit card). I'll get off a few rounds out the back door but won't be able to really range test it till spring. I don't use my range during deer season. I can sight it in at short distance only.

[ar15]

If you were close enough, I would loan you my bump fire stock.   =D

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »
Well that is good news. Glad to see you have your new toy. Everyone should have one.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2015, 09:16:02 PM »
Well that is good news. Glad to see you have your new toy. Everyone should have one.
[ar15]

If you were close enough, I would loan you my bump fire stock.   =D

Thanks fellas! I think I'd pass on the bump fire stock (thanks though). I go through ammo fast enough already!

As an aside, I figured since I now have an AR, I should sign up at ArfCom just for the abundance of knowledge there. Can't sign up with a gmail account! I think half the world is on gmail! F! them!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
Thanks fellas! I think I'd pass on the bump fire stock (thanks though). I go through ammo fast enough already!

As an aside, I figured since I now have an AR, I should sign up at ArfCom just for the abundance of knowledge there. Can't sign up with a gmail account! I think half the world is on gmail! F! them!

You're not missing anything. Lots of noise over there.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2015, 09:53:40 PM »
You're not missing anything. Lots of noise over there.

Thanks Fly320's! good info!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 06:37:25 AM »