Author Topic: Corrosive? 7.62 X39 with Cyrillic box label and headstamps  (Read 1017 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Corrosive? 7.62 X39 with Cyrillic box label and headstamps
« on: June 03, 2020, 12:30:46 AM »
I wondered if this 7.62 x 39 ammo was corrosive or not.

Can anyone tell from the box label and headstamp? It looks like pi (π) - pi - Y and 1982.

There is no  iron in the ammo, according to a strong magnet.

I got a bunch of it  it years ago and forgot the source.

Point me to a reference source, or if you know offhand or can read the label, it would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Pic 1, see next post for Pic2:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
Re: Corrosive? 7.62 X39 with Cyrillic box label and headstamps
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 12:33:19 AM »

There's something goofy with the attachment process.  The size limitations are invalid or incompatible.

Pic 2:

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 12:56:21 AM »
Well, I get the box to translate as Siberian text:

15 Pieces
7.62mm BULLET
WITH ORDINARY GRAIN M67
AND BRASS SLEEVE

NC-08
MBL 81169

PPU 8203

The headstamp of ППУ is, in cyrillic, PPU, indicating that this is Prvi Partizanski zavod ad Užice ammo, which was made in, at time of manufacture, Yugoslavia.

So you got some Yugo M67 ammo.

A quick internet search suggests: "Our favorite ammo for our AK’s is the Yugo M67 shown above which is only mildly corrosive and also non-magnetic."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 06:55:14 AM »
When you have the slightest bit of doubt, treat foreign ammunition as if it is corrosive and clean accordingly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 09:45:14 AM »
One way to find out is to pull the bullet, dump the powder, load the casing with the primer into a gun and then while the end of the barrel is pressed up against a piece of bare steel you don't care about fire the primer at the metal. Wait a couple of days and see if the metal rusts. It's the primers that are corrosive.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:59:34 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »
I've got a wooden case of the stuff. Yes, it's (former) Yugoslavian M67. Great stuff. Annealed necks, probably some of the nicest 7.62x39 ever made.

Except for two things. 1. It is mildly corrosive. Flash rust on my SBR Draco and WASR will attest to that. And 2. The primer sealant gets EVERYWHERE inside the receiver. You'll have little red flakes of that nitro lacquer all over.

The brass is so nice... a shame that it's Berdan.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
Thanks, Nick1911 !

I got a bunch of that ammo a couple of riot cycles ago, along with a couple of cases of XM193  and kind of forgot and didn't document the details for the 7.62 stuff.  The XM 193 shoots pretty damned good in my ancient varmint rifle with a 1-14 twist and is known to use noncorrosive priming.

I passed on most of my armament to the two sons, but kept a chink SKS ranch rifle and half a jillion stripper clips. anticipating another cycle of leftygasms, and lo ! here we are again.

WLJ, I suggested firing an empty cartridge against some clean steel quite a long time ago, but using a sizing die, since it would be easier to clean off than a whole gun.  I never actually did it, though, since it is so dry up here, "no rust" could be because of the low humidity rather than the non-corrosive qualities of the primer.

So no rusting would not be meaningful, but rusting would be --at least in the short term.

(Yes, one could use a control surface by sprinkling salt on it, but that starts to morph into a PROJECT rather than a quickie test.  And in salty areas near the ocean, the test surface would rust anyway from airborne salt particles, so where are you?)

Hatcher noted that Ordnance had done extensive experimenting on corrosion due to primers with actual ammo and actual rifle barrels and found that if the humidity did not go over ~50%, corrosion would not occur anyhow.  This effect caused quite a bit of head-scratching, since rusting would suddenly occur "out of nowhere" days and weeks after the testing.  They finally tracked the problem down to variations in ambient humidity.)

RH right now is about 20%:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.7836&lon=-105.1675&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:19:36 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 07:05:52 AM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think this area dropped below 20% humidity all of last year.

And it does it here only very rarely, normally when a Arctic front comes to visit in the winter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 07:13:37 AM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think this area dropped below 20% humidity all of last year.

And it does it here only very rarely, normally when a Arctic front comes to visit in the winter.

Mike, where's "here" for you?

And did you mean "50%" rather than "20%?"

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:25:45 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 07:20:21 AM »
Why right here! Where I've always been!

Here is Washington, DC, metro. Land of breathing underwater.