Author Topic: Math is Oppression  (Read 1494 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Math is Oppression
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 08:49:41 AM »
When I read that passage from the math book, I wondered what was wrong with my head and why I did not have the knowledge/capability to make sense out of it.  I'm glad someone else thought it was garble-de-gook.

Terry
The very idea that he is going through a thought process of applying a good/bad question to math is absurd.  That fact that he didn't close out the thought process in one paragraph shows how confused he is.  He obviously didn't learn his math very well or he would be able to break down the problem and determine that math isn't the root cause of the stuff he is complaining about.  There might be bad stuff about how some people teach math or what math is applied to, but the math itself is not good or bad.  It just is.  

IMO, it is very similar to liberal arguments claiming that guns are evil.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Math is Oppression
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
The very idea that he is going through a thought process of applying a good/bad question to math is absurd.  [/b][The] fact that he didn't close out the thought process in one paragraph shows how confused he is.[/b]  He obviously didn't learn his math very well or he would be able to break down the problem and determine that math isn't the root cause of the stuff he is complaining about.  There might be bad stuff about how some people teach math or what math is applied to, but the math itself is not good or bad.  It just is.  

IMO, it is very similar to liberal arguments claiming that guns are evil.  

Well, it sounded very much like the "feminine logic" we hear about: skipping over relevant components to support a preconceived conclusion. I realized later that this was precisely why I couldn't make sense out of it.

Not, you understand, that I don't screw up my own logic sometimes.  And misuse they're, their, and there. But...

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.