Author Topic: Toughest sheriff in US vows no let up in immigration fight  (Read 6459 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Go get them,Joe

Toughest sheriff in US vows no let up in immigration fight
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080616141549.vhjwoa2r&show_article=1

He's been described as Hitler and a member of the Klu Klux Klan by Hispanic critics and immigrant rights groups, but Sheriff Joe Arpaio prefers to see himself as an equal opportunities advocate. "We lock everybody up," he says.
Arpaio, the self-styled "toughest sheriff in America" has ruled his fifedom in Arizona's Maricopa County with a steely, zero-tolerance that has enraged human rights activists but delighted headline-writers the world over.

Demonstrations and picket lines follow his sweeps of largely Hispanic neighborhoods. He's been criticized by mayors and the governor of Arizona.

On a recent Mexican holiday, one group batted around a Joe Arpaio pinata, an effigy filled with sweets that children attempt to split open with a stick.

The opprobrium heaped in Arpaio's direction is water off a duck's back: after 16 years in office, the veteran lawman is showing no signs of mellowing.

"It just makes me more vigilant and go out more," Arpaio told AFP in an interview. "They ought to shut their mouth, let the system take its course, and if they don't like the laws, go out and get them changed.

"But don't try to intimidate me to stop enforcing the laws. It will never happen ... That's how I take care of business."

During nearly two decades, Arpaio has garnered world-wide publicity for creating a tent city in the Arizona desert to house county jail inmates, sending out men and women in chain gangs to pick up trash, and clothing inmates in striped suits and pink underwear.

He even offered to accommodate Paris Hilton in one of Maricopa County's jails when the celebrity socialite was sentenced to prison in Los Angeles last year for driving offences.

His latest crackdown against illegal immigrants began about 18 months ago.

He has nothing against immigrants -- his parents were Italian immigrants ('legal' he adds pointedly) -- or Mexicans, he says.

For Arpaio, illegal immigration is a fairness issue. Why should some people wait years for citizenship through the proper channels while others slip across the border?

"The minute you crossed the border, you violated the law," Arpaio said. "There's no doubt that illegals are involved in drug trafficking and other crimes. Many of them, maybe the majority, come here to work.

"Still, it's illegal to come here. I'm going to continue to enforce the law. I took an oath of office. I'm the bad guy. That's okay. It's alright with me."

Arpaio's last sweep sent 200 deputies, helicopters, and an armored car into a one square-mile Latino-dominated town, pulling over anyone with a cracked tail-light or a broken windshield.

He rejects claims that his department is targeting anyone with brown skin.

"We don't racial profile," he said. "We lock everybody up. I'm an equal opportunity guy."

About 16 percent of the 77,000 inmates booked into county jail this year were illegal immigrants. Arpaio believes that by keeping pressure on illegal immigrants, he can drive them from Arizona.

"They're heading south, or they're going to California, but they're sure getting out of Arizona," he said.

"If you can get them out of Arizona, you can get them out of the United States of America little by little. I'm not saying line up the buses, but put the pressure on them.

"Little by little they're going to leave because it's going to be hard to find a job and they're going to go to jail."

Workers' rights and immigrants' rights groups say Arpaio's policies have created a climate of fear.

Elias Bermudez heads Immigrants Without Borders, an immigrants' rights advocacy group. Arpaio's policies are discriminatory and "not conducive to a county that is 30 percent Hispanic," he said.

"He has abused his authority and his elected position to create havoc and a feeling of terror in our community," Bermudez said.

"He has capitalized on the fear and vulnerability of people who came into this country without documents, not in defiance of the laws of the United States, but because this country does not have a legal mechanism to seek work with documents.

"This is a problem of developed nations against undeveloped nations, and it is a problem that needs solving."

Arpaio's sweeps will continue as long as he is sheriff, he says.

His public support -- 80 to 90 percent approval ratings in polls -- make it unlikely he will lose a campaign for re-election in the fall.

"I get more press in one day than the governor gets," he said. "If you go anywhere in the world, all you have to do is say Arizona,' and they say Sheriff Joe.'

"Do you think they know who the governor is? I'm the toughest sheriff in America."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Toughest sheriff in US vows no let up in immigration fight
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:04:57 AM »
Tom Threepersons would applaud him.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »
...Wonder if Sheriff Joe ever thought about running for governor?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
Arpaio, the self-styled "toughest sheriff in America" has ruled his fifedom in Arizona's Maricopa County

Curse Sheriff Arpaio and his legions of anti-mexican piccolo players!

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:53:34 AM »
Workers' rights and immigrants' rights groups say Arpaio's policies have created a climate of fear.

Yay!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »
When did criminals being afraid of LEO become a bad thing? Joe's a grandstanding *expletive deleted*bag, but for all the hoopla and drama he has a very good point.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »
...Wonder if Sheriff Joe ever thought about running for governor?
Probably not, he couldn't rule like he can as sheriff.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »
Wish he would.  I dislike the Gov of Arizona very much. 

I lived in Tucson for 6 years and hunted all along the border for deer and quail.  I'm telling ya, if you haven't seen what the illegals are doing first hand to the desert down there then you need to see it for yourself.  Terrible.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:01:08 PM »
This is such [bovine excrement]:

Elias Bermudez heads Immigrants Without Borders, an immigrants' rights advocacy group. Arpaio's policies are discriminatory and "not conducive to a county that is 30 percent Hispanic," he said.

"He has abused his authority and his elected position to create havoc and a feeling of terror in our community," Bermudez said.

"He has capitalized on the fear and vulnerability of people who came into this country without documents, not in defiance of the laws of the United States, but because this country does not have a legal mechanism to seek work with documents.

Excuse me?

There are several legal avenues to become "documented." There are work visas. There are resident visas. My wife is from South America (not Mexico). We went through the process. She stayed down there until her visa was approved, after which she came here legally. Listening to these criminals whine that there's no legal way they can come here is bad for my blood pressure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »

I lived in Tucson for 6 years and hunted all along the border for deer and quail.  I'm telling ya, if you haven't seen what the illegals are doing first hand to the desert down there then you need to see it for yourself.  Terrible.

Have you got any sources on that?  I'm not doubting you, I would just like to read further.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »

Have you got any sources on that?  I'm not doubting you, I would just like to read further.

No sources at work, but as someone who's spent a deal of time down there I can vouch for the truth of the statement. A ~ five foot deep ravine filled up with trash, stretching for hundreds of feet. angry It's horrific. I'll see if I can find some pics, altho it'll be hosted by a border security group no doubt. The MSM doesn't want the truth of the situation getting out.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »
There has been several items on TV about this problem.  Lou Dobbs on CNN, 4:00 PM Pacific Time usually has items on the Broken Borders several times a week.

jrfoxx

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »

This is such [bovine excrement]:

Areed.I work with several hundred S.Koreans, all of whom managed to get visas to live and work here (for years at a time) 100% legally so the idea that one can't come here to live and work legally is BULL.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 04:50:43 PM »

Pictures of the invasion of illegal aliens into the United States

http://www.desertinvasion.us/invasion_pictures/invasion.html

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »
Joe's great.  He doesn't knuckle under, much less pander, to the PC crowd.   cool

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 08:19:26 PM »
If the issue of immigration is not resolved sooner rather than later, eventually the public will get Really Angry.

And when they get Really Angry, they will close the border not just to people wanting to just hike across the border, but also to guys like me who want to become American citizens legally. NOT good.

So:

More arrests, more deportations, more prisons, more border patrol troops, more landmines on the border.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 12:20:28 AM »
Arpaio, the self-styled "toughest sheriff in America" has ruled his fifedom in Arizona's Maricopa County

Curse Sheriff Arpaio and his legions of anti-mexican piccolo players!

-BP

I'd wear that on a T-shirt.  cheesy
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 03:04:21 AM »
Have you got any sources on that?  I'm not doubting you, I would just like to read further
I knew I should of taken more pictures when I was stationed there.

No, I don't have any hard evidence (pictures), but I've seen it first hand.  Hell, I've even called the BP on several occasions.  I carry a gps and mark locations where we walk up on illegals.  Can't detain them so I just call the BP.  They usually respond pretty quick.

Do a search on the web and you'll get all the suppot you need.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 04:48:44 AM »
More arrests, more deportations, more prisons, more border patrol troops, more landmines on the border.
Amen.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 05:48:41 AM »
His public support -- 80 to 90 percent approval ratings in polls -- make it unlikely he will lose a campaign for re-election in the fall.
Hard to get 80-90% approval without at least a good portion of the Hispanic population, isn't it?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 05:55:37 AM »
Hard to get 80-90% approval without at least a good portion of the Hispanic population, isn't it?

Good point. Let's see, Senor Elias said

So if the county is 30% Hispanic, that's 70% "other". The only way the good sheriff could be getting an approval rating of, say, 85%, even if he had 100 percent of all the "other" population, would be to get half of the Hispanic vote.

This does not strike me as a categorical condemnation, by any definition.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 05:57:35 AM »

When I lived in Brownsville (TX) there were several watering holes near the freeway heading north.  You couldn't count the empty water jugs under one tree if you had a week to do it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »

Have you got any sources on that?  I'm not doubting you, I would just
like to read further

From Google.com
 Web  Results 1 - 10 of about 314,000 for Trash on Mexican Border.

Oldskoolfan

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 06:50:01 PM »
Is he also cracking down on student visa's that expire?  Is he just targeting people that look Hispanic?  I know when I was in NYC you could not believe how many illegal Eastern Europeans were out there or Asians. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 03:22:59 AM »
I do not think Maricopa County has a significant amount of college students.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner