Author Topic: Toying with a trip to Tennessee...  (Read 2677 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Toying with a trip to Tennessee...
« on: September 12, 2005, 06:30:44 AM »
I'm feeling the need to get away for awhile.

I donated most of my vacation budget to hurricane relief, but I can scrounge up some funds for a short trip, and I'm thinking of heading back to Tennessee.

Last time I was there was with the ex on our honeymoon, so that was Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and other such foolishness. I'd probably pass through those areas again, but I'm thinking other things to do.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to keep it in the eastern part of Tennessee, so Memphis is out. I'd probably be inclined to head down to Chattanooga to check out the battlefields...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 07:23:46 AM »
How about Nashville. It's much nicer and less hokey than I thought it would be.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 07:32:38 AM »
Nashville is quite a hike from East TN after driving across Va.  

I can't recall it's name, but there's a valley in the Smokey Mtns National Park that has some interesting history.  There's a driving tour of that valley that takes you past old settlements, etc.  Shell and I did that drive a few years ago.  There's a neat dirt road that leaves this loop and crosses the mtn.  Lots of picturesque streams and scenes, etc.  Documentation recommends a 4x4, but it should be drivable in any decent car if you take it slow.

Mike,  next time you're over, bug Shell and me about this.  We've been out there twice in the past 4 years.  I doubt we did much that would interest you, but maybe we can think of some sightseeing stops...

I highly recommend this hotel: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-346212-best_western_zoder_s_inn-i
Get one of the big suites with the gas fireplace and hottub.  

Chris

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 08:16:50 AM »
Cades Cove. Near Townshend. Beautiful.

Also, the NC area on the other side is fantastic and worth a visit.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 08:42:03 AM »
Yes on both accounts Barbara.

Thanks.

Dunno how far it is, but a side trip to the Biltmore Estate might be doable if you're interested.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 08:45:08 AM »
Yep, Cade's Cove.

Been there, done that several times in my life.

That hotel was one of the choices for where the ex and I would spend our honeymoon. We eventually took the one on top of a tall ridge outside of Gatlinburg by about 5 miles. Had incredible views down into the valley.

As I said, though, I've done the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg thing before, so I'm looking for other things. About the only thing in Pigeon Forge that interests me these days is the pottery.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction. A trip to Cooperstown might be nice, too.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 09:26:52 AM »
Yeah, I don't think much has changed in the Gatlinburg area in years.  A bit more crap, that's all.  

Chris

Preacherman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:13:57 AM »
Mike, how about paying homage to Sergeant York?  His farm is now a museum, and he's buried there.  You could fire off a salute over his grave...
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 10:45:47 AM »
Dunno how far it is, but a side trip to the Biltmore Estate might be doable if you're interested.
About 80 miles from the Gatlinburg area. If you've never been it's worth the trip. You could detour while still in Virginia and go straight to it rather than go to Tennessee and then back track 80 miles.

I assume you've already done Bull Run, Manassas, etc. in Virginia.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 10:47:23 AM »
lol.  Garrett, he lives about 10 miles from Manassas.  I live IN Manassas. Cheesy

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 11:53:30 AM »
You know, the funny thing about it is that I've never really "done" the Bull Run thing as I have Gettysburg (I grew up near there).

I've been on the Bull Run battlefields, the stone bridge, the old stone house, etc., but I've never been to the visitor's center.

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 06:00:47 PM »
Cheesy I knew he was "in the area" just didn't know how much.

I had to make that run from Washington Dulles to Charlottesville a couple of years ago. As I drove past the various signs I kept thinking to myself "I'm driving through history".

Too bad I didn't have time to stop and enjoy it. I had missed my connecting flight due to a bad thunderstorm, and was driving banzai through the same storm at 1AM trying to make an 8AM meeting. Tongue

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 06:34:32 PM »
I'll second the Biltmore
I just got back from a trip through there.
While it sounds like you have done it a few times.. renting a nice cabin in any of the wearvalley area is nice..
The Blue Ridge parkway was a nice drive.. I highly reccomend going down to Chimney Rock Park too.
No matter what.. I'd do it on a motorcycle Cheesy

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

mfree

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 04:29:16 AM »
Coal Creek Armory? :-D

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 07:28:41 AM »
how was it Veloce? I understand they have the top floor open now.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 11:46:01 AM »
Biltmore is definitely a place I want to go someday.

But, the more I think about it, the more I think that I want to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame.