Author Topic: Toyota Tacoma decision  (Read 1319 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Toyota Tacoma decision
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:12:51 PM »
I've decided to replace the '95 Grand Cherokee I wrote about recently having transmissison problems. I want a V6 auto Tacoma, and I like the concept of the PreRunner. I've identified two 2007 trucks, one is an SR5 with 46k miles, and the other is an SR5 TRD with 62k miles, virtually the same in price and amenities/accessories (the TRD has the towing package, usure about the SR5).

I may occasionally, not often, go offroad. Most of my driving will be city and highway. Is there any benefit to the TRD suspension to make it worth the higher mileage, or do you think I'd be better off with the vanilla SR5?

Thanks.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Toyota Tacoma decision
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:58:22 PM »
$300 will get you set up for towing, $300 will not buy back $16k miles.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »
Excellent observation. Thanks.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:26 AM »
I don't think it's really a matter of mileage. 46k is more desirable but 62k still isn't much for a truck that regularly hits 200k miles.

I'd say if you're not going to do much off-road driving then you don't need the TRD set-up. On recent Tacoma's a TRD off-road package is around $3000 (give or take) from most dealers. I will say though, that the SR5 package doesn't bring anything to the table as far as off-road driving is concerned.

If you want a serious suspension, nicer shocks, trail-worthy tires, skid plates, locking rear diffy, front tow hooks, etc. then think harder about the TRD. Like Charby is getting at, you can probably tune it to where you need it while saving 16k miles. Definitely go and inspect them. Most people around here with the TRD off-road package don't take their vehicles off-road other than logging roads.  ;/

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:40:17 AM »
On a truck that lasts as long as a well maintained taco' I don't think the difference is to bad. With the price about the same I'd take a few extra miles for the TRD.

If you plan on towing, I'd get more details what all was part of the towing package. If it's just a tow hitch and the wiring, yeah that can be added pretty cheaply. But if the towing package also meant a little upgrade on the brakes and such that costs more to upgrade to the same specs.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:55:43 AM »
SR5 is just a trim/accessories package.  It's a step above Base.

Get the TRD.

Oh, and my 1997 4Runner SR5 is about to turn 180k. :)

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:09:13 AM »
Thanks, guys. Thats the nuts & bolts comparison I was looking for.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:33:39 PM »
My Toyota experience is with my '08 FJ. My rig has the nicer suspension (Bilstein), etc, like the TRDs come with.

My $0.02 is that you will probably not notice the difference between the two suspension set-ups. My rig rides nice, but it doesn't ride like a luxury car by any means. Shocks aren't that expensive to upgrade if you want to go that route with the SR5.

The TRD was available with the e-locker rear differential, which is desirable, and should result in higher resale values. Check on this.

I don't think the Tacomas with tow package had any upgrade to the running gear, but I could be wrong on that.

I think that the SR5 is probably the better vehicle for you, but that's just my opinion. Buy the one that speaks to you.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »
mgdavis, thanks for muddying the water. =D

Fact is, it'll depend what's available when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm not a very decisive person, and this situation has me fighting analysis paralysis. I was referred by a co-worker to an auction buyer. I'll see what they come up with, and go from there. I can afford it, but 20k is at the upper end of what I feel comfortable financing, combined with minimal cash for a downpayment and a low-value trade-in, I'm nervous about the whole deal.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »
Let me throw out another question. On a whim, I ran a search for Tundras, In DFW, at least, late-model, lower mileage V8s seem to be plentiful and priced comparably or less. Is the Tacoma just more popular and selling at a premium?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
Is the Tacoma just more popular and selling at a premium?

Yes
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 04:51:51 PM »
I am very happy with my Tacoma TRD and I drive as you do.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.