Author Topic: Toyota Land Cruiser May Be Biting the Dust  (Read 1753 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Toyota Land Cruiser May Be Biting the Dust
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:18:39 AM »
It would be a bummer if it went. It's currently way too rich for my blood, but it's just a great platform. I agree with the article on why it may be going.

I'd love to see Toyota give up on that horrid FJ Cruiser replacement they're looking at and doing a redesign of the Land Cruiser, taking it back to its utilitarian roots and dropping the price by $40K or so.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/02/toyota-land-cruiser-life-support/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:57:41 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Toyota Land Cruiser May Be Biting the Dust
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »
I actually see more of the Lexus version on the street than I do the "ordinary" Toyota version.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »
It would be a bummer if it went. It's currently way too rich for my blood, but it's just a great platform. I agree with the article on why it may be going.

I'd love to see Toyota give up on that horrid FJ Cruiser replacement they're looking at and doing a redesign of the Land Cruiser, taking it back to its utilitarian roots and dropping the price by $40K or so.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/02/toyota-land-cruiser-life-support/

I'd have one if I could afford one.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
I couldn't afford it even then, but I totally lost interest when they switched for a solid front axle to IFS.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
I couldn't afford it even then, but I totally lost interest when they switched for a solid front axle to IFS.

Huh. I actually didn't know they did that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:01:01 PM »

I'd rather have IFS than a solid axle.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 09:07:15 PM »
IFS on the street vehicle.

Solid axle on trail vehicle .

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
I'd rather have IFS than a solid axle.

Most people would, that's why they switched. Solid axle is better for off-road use, and that's what I was interested in. Still am, to a degree. I'm hanging onto my solid axle Cherokees and Comanche pickups.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
Most people would, that's why they switched. Solid axle is better for off-road use, and that's what I was interested in. Still am, to a degree. I'm hanging onto my solid axle Cherokees and Comanche pickups.

I've owned both, actually got better off road results from IFS. Just seemed to articulate better in deep ruts.

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 11:16:20 PM »
What they sell in the US, is designed and marketed to the rest of the world as a Range Rover competitor.  Luxury, off road  pretty heavy on the luxury.  I think they probably made a mistake by letting Lexus sell one, as it kinda diluted the 200 series Land Cruiser.  FWIW it does pretty well against a Range Rover or Mercedes G-class.

What you guys probably want is a Land Cruiser 70-series.  I've driven a couple of those over the years, and they are super capable off-roaders without much of the luxury.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 01:02:42 AM »
I'd give someone else's left nut for a mid to late '70s FJ40 or better an FJ45.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 01:12:36 AM »
IFS on the street vehicle.

Solid axle on trail vehicle .

Didn't know what IFS was, so googled it.  The trail running sites seem to think that IFS is superior on handling, but solid is simpler.

They're arguing:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/1308-frontend-feud-ifs-vs-solid-axle/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/better-why-ifs-vs-solid-axle-23218/

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 02:37:54 AM »
Didn't know what IFS was, so googled it.  The trail running sites seem to think that IFS is superior on handling, but solid is simpler.

They're arguing:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/1308-frontend-feud-ifs-vs-solid-axle/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/better-why-ifs-vs-solid-axle-23218/

IFS is better for just about everything you actually want a suspension to do.

Solid is simpler, and for a given level of toughness cheaper, and is easier to adapt to custom installs.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 09:00:13 AM »
IFS is better for just about everything you actually want a suspension to do.

Solid is simpler, and for a given level of toughness cheaper, and is easier to adapt to custom installs.

I'm no big expert, but like Firethorn read up on it myself, and that's the gist that I pulled away. Lots of guys using them as part of a custom build.

Both my old Trooper and current 4Runner have IFS. While I'm no big rock crawler, they've certainly taken care of me in the situations I've gotten myself into to date.

The 4Runner has KDSS, which might even partially rely on IFS to do its thing.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
Hmmm . . . maybe instead of the LC biting the dust, Toyota expects others to eat their dust.

Check out this Toyota-modified Land Cruiser - 2000 HP, 230 MPH.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/05/autos/toyota-worlds-fastest-suv/index.html
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain