Author Topic: Toyota Land Cruiser is Back in the USA  (Read 798 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Toyota Land Cruiser is Back in the USA
« on: August 03, 2023, 04:19:13 PM »
Toyota is bringing the Land Cruiser back to the US starting in Spring. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the body style is somewhat retro to the older LCs that everybody is always trying to get their hands on. I think it looks better than it's immediate predecessor, which looked a bit too urban to me.

Body on frame construction with what sounds like a front suspension similar to the 4Runner KDSS option. A locking center diff sounds like this will let it run in 4WD, even on dry pavement. Turbo 4 banger, so we'll see how that does. Pricing for the 1958 starts at just under that of the 4Runner TRD Pro, which is interesting. The previous LC was running like $30K more than the 4Runner.

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/2024-toyota-land-cruiser-first-look/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
Re: Toyota Land Cruiser is Back in the USA
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 05:32:51 PM »
I'll admit I'm not the target market, but that thing looks like a brick with chamfered edges.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 05:36:07 PM »
I'll admit I'm not the target market, but that thing looks like a brick with chamfered edges.

Sure, it's not for everyone. The "brick" is actually the appeal for aficionados, as it harkens back to:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 05:38:28 PM »
Not sure how I feel about a hybrid electric.  The article mentioned a battery pack at one point.  I don't see any pictures of that part.   

Every 2024 Land Cruiser will use Toyota’s 2.4-liter Hybrid Max drivetrain, previously seen in the recent Crown sedan and Grand Highlander. The setup mates a turbocharged four-cylinder gas engine with an electric motor for a total of 326 system horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque, way up from 281 hp and 401 lb-ft in the old V8. These numbers also aren’t far off the 2024 GX’s twin-turbo V6 (349 hp and 479 lb-ft). Power is delivered via an eight-speed automatic, while the GX uses a ten-speeder.

Undoubtedly, the hybrid will yield gas mileage superior to any previous Land Cruiser, and it has enough power to boast a 6,000-pound towing capacity.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 05:40:57 PM »
Not sure how I feel about a hybrid electric.  The article mentioned a battery pack at one point.  I don't see any pictures of that part.

I think that's just one option. There doesn't seem to be any way around them. The 6th gen 4Runners in 2025 will have a hybrid option as well.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 05:55:46 PM »
I've driven Prado's extensively, and I don't think it's going to separate itself enough from the 4Runner.  They feel very similar to drive and ride in.  IMO Toyota would have been better off leaving the mid market to the 4Runner and bringing over the J300 Land Cruiser.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 05:57:12 PM »
We had a 198? to 199? Mitsubishi Montero. It was a Red one and LOVED IT! The squared off body was a Plus for me. Looked very much like this 1990 version:

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 05:59:11 PM »
I've driven Prado's extensively, and I don't think it's going to separate itself enough from the 4Runner.  They feel very similar to drive and ride in.  IMO Toyota would have been better off leaving the mid market to the 4Runner and bringing over the J300 Land Cruiser.

I don't disagree, and most articles I've read have commented regarding not differentiating itself enough from the 4Runner and were wondering what Toyota is thinking here.

It still galls me that the #1 car country has so many restrictions regarding import of cool vehicles that we can't have.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 06:03:37 PM »
199? Mitsubishi Montero. We had a Red one and LOVED IT! The squared off body was a Plus for me.

An ex-girlfriend and I rented one of those for a week of driving the Carolinas in I think 2000 - the last of the boxy style. That was a solid vehicle. I was really impressed.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 06:07:14 PM »
An ex-girlfriend and I rented one of those for a week of driving the Carolinas in I think 2000 - the last of the boxy style. That was a solid vehicle. I was really impressed.

Ours was built like a TANK!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 07:13:56 PM »
"Pricing for the 1958 starts at just under that of the 4Runner TRD Pro, which is interesting. The previous LC was running like $30K more than the 4Runner."

Wow. I'd not have been surprised if the base price for it were in the $100,000 range.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 08:08:56 PM »
Looks too much like the new Bronco.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 08:37:28 PM »
Looking under the hood - is there actually an engine in there somewhere under all those hoses, cables, and wires?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 09:16:07 PM »
Saw a video about this yesterday.

Unimpressed.

What good is a turbo I-4 with hybrid assist for 400# of torque if the battery is only good for 2000 watt-hours and the electric motor puts out 15% of the total max horsepower, and probably 25-35% of the total max torque?  A 48hp electric motor (probably offering between 80-100# of torque) is going to chew over 30,000 watts per hour in operation at max load.  Don't try and tell me the turbo I-4 has the torque, because it doesn't.

The electric assist motor is only good for about 4 minutes of climb and then it's discharged its battery entirely.  Unless the ICE can recharge that battery promptly... not via trickle of the alternator's spare juice at maybe 500 watts an hour (4 hours to charge it)... then you get one good hill climb out of it and it's spent for the rest of the drive.

This I-4 couldn't tow 6000 pounds from Phoenix to Show Low (lots of elevation gain), but it could probably do Phoenix to Tucson (all flat).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 10:21:34 PM »
I'd be really interested in a FJ 45.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2023, 10:27:02 PM »
Sure, it's not for everyone. The "brick" is actually the appeal for aficionados, as it harkens back to:

Reminds me of the old Internationals.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”