Author Topic: Vista Outdoors Sells Off Gun Business  (Read 876 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Vista Outdoors Sells Off Gun Business
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
Vista Outdoors is selling off the Savage line. It's not clear to me from reporting so far (some of which varies from the NYT story below) if this is a business decision or a political decision. If a business decision, I have no problem with it. If political, I've bought my last Camelbak.

Vista intends to narrow its focus on outdoors enthusiasts, its primary customer base, and to winnow its portfolio of goods to emphasize ammunition, hunting and shooting accessories, outdoor cooking products and CamelBak hydration bottles and packs.

So people who shoot are no longer "outdoor enthusiasts"? That's a fishy comment if this is a simple business decision, especially as they keep ammo and "hunting and shooting supplies". This almost appears to me to be them caving to the REI crowd (I recall REI made some statements about possibly not carrying Vista products anymore after Parkland).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/01/business/vista-outdoor-firearms.html

On the tangent, I hope someone good buys Savage. They produce quality, affordable products.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Vista Outdoors Sells Off Gun Business
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:51:52 AM »
Bullshit speak for "We're skeered that David Hogg will say something mean about us!"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
Looks like it is a business move.  I went to read about the Savage sale and found this:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/vista-outdoor-to-sell-bell-giro-and-blackburn.html

Long story short, Bell helmets and other sports gear brands are up for sale as well.  The article indicates that the plan is to "(focus) their business on ammunition, hunting and shooting accessories, hydration bottles and packs, and outdoor cooking products."  If they still plan on selling accessories and ammo, it doesn't look so political.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
What ammo brand(s) do they make/sell?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
What ammo brand(s) do they make/sell?

This is a list of all of their shooting sports brands:

Federal, CCI, Speer, Blazer, Estate Cartridge, Savage, Savage Range Systems, Stevens, Independence, Fusion, American Eagle, Force N Force, Fox

https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
They have Federal and are selling Savage?

Business. Federal is the bigger name in the world of guns.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
They have Federal and are selling Savage?

Business. Federal is the bigger name in the world of guns.

The opposing argument is that one makes guns (including, to my understanding, having recently introduced an AR platform) but the other does not. To the non-gun community, "ending gun production" would be the big selling point. REI threatened them not because they sold ammo, but because they sold guns (AFAIK).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."