Author Topic: Putting a dog down w/ a 2 1/2 year old UPDATE #2  (Read 4943 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Putting a dog down w/ a 2 1/2 year old UPDATE #2
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:55:57 AM »
Morning y'all.  Since I had asked for opinions, I figure I owe you a follow up.

I'm not sure if there is a pool going or not, so I figured I let you know how it is going:

Those of you that said that my kid would not notice, you win.  I hope we covered the spread.

Nary a look, peep, question, issue, nothing. 

When the people that watched her when Mrs. Ex and I took the pup over came to get the deed done, Little Ex gave
the dog a hug and a kiss, and left.  We put Bailey down on Tuesday, Little Ex has not even noticed.

Even with Mrs Ex and I an emotional mess, nary a whisper about the dog. 

I'm so glad she is too young to be going through what the Wife and I are.

Best to you and your families, and if you have a dog, give them a hug for me...

Mark

Original thread that this is about:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=6036.msg93380#msg93380

Recent Update:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=6309.msg99061#msg99061
One day at a time.

TarpleyG

• friend
Re: Putting a dog down w/ a 2 1/2 year old UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 04:09:30 AM »
Sorry Mark.  Tough thing to lose a pet.

Greg

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Putting a dog down w/ a 2 1/2 year old UPDATE
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:28:47 AM »
Glad Kiddo Ex is taking everything in stride.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Re: Putting a dog down w/ a 2 1/2 year old UPDATE, Yet Again...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:09:28 AM »
It's strange how a child's mind works.

This weekend we were going through some pictures that my Daughter has in a kid's photo album.

In there is a pic of our Pup that we put down (the pic has been there since my Daughter was born, we didn't add it special).  My Daughter was naming all the people/ animals in the book....she named Bailey and all of the other animals on the page without any hesitation...yet she never thought to ask where Bailey is/ was/ has been, nothing.

She knows who the Dog is, but didn't figure out that she has not been around.

Amazing.
One day at a time.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Putting a dog down w/ a 2 1/2 year old UPDATE #2
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:12:04 PM »
Hey, the dog went to happy puppy fun farm. That's all the kid needs to know. Unless you REALLY wanna neurose the kid.

I'm thinking another dog would be a good idea.
Blog under construction

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 05:15:36 AM »
I have had to have two dogs put down since I moved out on my own. The third is 14 years old, and I know she won't be around much longer. So far she is doing Ok, but has all the infirmities old dogs get, Right now she is getting over a kidney infection. that is a big deal with dogs, much more so than with people. I lost my first dog to kidney failure.

Back in february we got another dog. She is about 2 and just got fixed. The older dog seems to have perked up since the new dog came to live with us.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 05:27:32 AM »
I'm ready for a new dog.  My Wife, well, I don't know.

She will look on line, and look at shelters, visit breeders, but whenever I bring it up, she says that I'm being pushy.  Even when she says "Come here and look at this dog, it's exactly what I want".  Then I stupidly reply "Let's go look at him/her then".  Silly me.

Then she complains that Dogs a so flippin' expensive, and why can't she find one for $100.00 or less?

Then she says that she wants another Wheaten, then she doesn't.

I'm done playing this game with her.

The other day I found a FREE- that's right FREE- Wheaten about an hour from us.  FREE WHEATEN.

She didn't want it because it looked too much like our other Dog.  Huh?  No kidding same breeds tend to look similar.

I'm done.

We'll get another dog when she brings it home.
One day at a time.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 05:56:51 AM »
Three of my dogs came from the pound (all beagles). None were free. I don't recall the exact amount but they make you pay for the fixing of the dog up front, and of course you than have to pay the dog tax and shots. I think it ends up being about $200 when you first get the dog.

The other dog came from an ad in the paper. Some people who lived in a trailer got a beagle puppy that their ferret did not like so for $50 I got a 16 week old pure bred beagle with all her inital shots done. Of course I had to pay for shots, spaying, dog tax, etc., later on.

Seems to me I had to put up a fence too. Dogs are not cheap, but they are often a worthwhile addition to one's home.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 06:32:14 AM »
Trust me, I know.

My Wife lives in a dream world sometimes.

The Pup that we had to put down cost us a pretty penny.  She was sick for two 1/2 years.  Monthy vet visits, speical diet (dry and wet), four meds.  You do the math.

We have everything that we need.  We currently have a Border Collie/ Lab/ sheppard mix that misses her friend.

The underlying issue is that my Wife doesn't understand the fact that she is not replacing Bailey, rather that she is getting a new and different friend.

One day at a time.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
I just got back from the vet. I had to have my 14 YO beagle put down. I guess I knew it was coming. She has gotten progressively more unsteady, and developed what the vet thought was a kidney infection a few weeks ago. Turns out it was some kind of cancer. Not much else you can do with an old dog like that. At least she went peacefully surrounded by those who cared about her and didn't die alone one day when we were gone.
bob

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 09:49:57 AM »
Sorry, man.

It sucks, and I know.

Sorry.
One day at a time.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »

Worse is when you fight when you shouldn't have.

Our four year old pound rescue, a lab/pitt/rott mix Eleanor got auto-immune hemolytic anemia, and was actually sick for a week or more, but we couldn't tell until she slowed down and went off her food the second to last day when her blood count was getting so low she was anemic, and her kidneys were starting to fail from trying to expel all the hemoglobin. We had no clue until the morning we caught her urinating blood.

Took her to the vet, she was slow, but still walking under her own power, and still perking up to wag her tail to greet people etc. The vet gave me 60/40 odds, and sent me to Walgreen's to get some pills that were for human organ transplant rejection immune suppression to try and stop the blood cell destruction.

We couldn't afford a 24/7 emergency vet so she spent the last 12 hours of her life alone the vet's kennel, where her IV line kinked and she wasn't getting hydrated, and we had to put her down the next morning when the staff came in the next day, neurological damage from the massive buildup of dead blood cells and hemoglobin had set in, and she could no longer move, but she still twitched and jerked when she saw my wife and I come in to see her.

It cost me $1200 to make her suffer alone for an extra 12 hours. In hindsight I'd have paid $10,000 to have her put down the day before right then and there.

At least I won't make that mistake again.
I promise not to duck.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »
AJ- you're killing me man.
One day at a time.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Kids are tough.  My brother put down a dog.  Once he explained why he had to shoot it, his boys shrugged it off and have never said a word about it.

Kids are tough but you always worry about the first time they kill a deer or slaughter a cow or what not.  Worry is what a good parent has to do. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »
Here she is about 10 years ago.

bob

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »
Good looking pup.

Mine's my avitar.
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »
Well, here we are, a year and a half later, and she noticed...It's been steadily brewing for a couple of weeks...Where's Bailey...When can we pick her up?...

Tonight it all came to a head....Bailey got VERY sick, and she isn't comming home...didn't go over too well...Sammi got pissed...she is now 3 1/2, almost 4, and no matter how I tried to explain it to her, nope, she wants her dog back....

I explained every which way I could...sigh....I had forgotten how much I miss that little rugrat...
One day at a time.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »
Kind of along the same lines...

My grandmother passed away two years ago.  Abby recognizes her in pics and such, but hasn't said much about her not being with us.  That is, until this past weekend when we were at my grandfather's house.  Abby asked twice where she was. 

Chris

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 06:40:06 PM »
I don't know why I always read these threads.   sad
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
My boy will mention our late GSP, Ten, from time to time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 08:00:53 PM »
Hey Ex-Ma,

Is it time to think about saving another from a shelter?  That way Sammi could help out in picking out "her" dog.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 12:17:24 AM »
I second that thought from WM. There's a pup out there waiting for you to come along and improve his or her life with your family. Go for it!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 02:06:00 AM »
We got one last year...

We simply don't have the space for a another dog...

We already have two dogs, two cats and a rabbit....I wonder if the hamster route, calling it Bailey would work well enough?....
One day at a time.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 02:10:01 AM »
I don't think I'd go with a hamster for a young child.  They're too nippy.  Plus, they're more work than a dog.  Filthy animals...

In my lifetime, I've had nearly half a dozen of them.  I still think they're cute and I love to watch their antics (when they're not sleeping), but I'll never own another one.

Chris

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 02:23:41 AM »
We already have two dogs, two cats and a rabbit....

Piker.

laugh
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).