Author Topic: AT&T Caps Phone Data Usage  (Read 8206 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
AT&T Caps Phone Data Usage
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
Since I'm now making the switch from a landline to smartphone (HTC Evo) I've been reading a lot of articles on devices and plans. I find this article interesting. Most carriers are trending the opposite way and going to unlimited data. Why would AT&T go the other way, especially with the new iPhone to be announced in a few days? I'm not sure I understand the benefit of the business model. I understand they're trying to address infrastructure issues, but advertising "new and improved restricted service" doesn't seem like good advertising.

----------------------------

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ATampT-caps-phone-data-usage-apf-499602515.html?x=0&.v=12

AT&T caps phone data usage with new wireless plans
AT&T clamps down on wireless phone data usage with new plans; savings for data nibblers
ap

Companies:
          o Apple Inc.
          o Sprint Nextel Corp.
          o AT&T, Inc.

Peter Svensson, AP Technology Writer, On Wednesday June 2, 2010, 11:19 am EDT

NEW YORK (AP) -- AT&T Inc. will stop letting new customers sign up for its unlimited Internet data plan for smart phones and iPads, hoping to ease congestion on its network by charging the people who use the most data more.

The move comes just in time for the expected unveiling of Apple Inc.'s new iPhone next week.

Current subscribers will be able to keep their $30-per-month unlimited plans, even if they renew their contracts. But starting Monday, new customers will have to choose one of two new data plans for all smart phones, including iPhones and BlackBerrys.

With the change, AT&T is adopting a carrot-and-stick approach to assuage the data congestion on its network, which has been a source of complaints, especially in cities such as New York and San Francisco that are thick with iPhone users.

Subscribers who use little data or learn to limit their consumption will pay slightly less every month than they do now, while heavy users will be dinged with extra consumption fees.

Analysts said they expect the move to be quickly followed by other phone companies, which should be eager to avoid the trap of unlimited-use data plans. With no caps on consumption, data use could swamp wireless networks while revenue for the operators remains flat.

"Clearly, the current unlimited data usage model in the U.S. market is not profitable in the long term," said David Dixon at FBR Capital Markets.

Verizon Wireless, the largest wireless carrier and AT&T's chief rival, had no immediate comment on AT&T's move. There has been much speculation about Verizon getting to sell its own version of the iPhone, but that prospect still appears distant.

One of the new AT&T plans will cost $25 per month and offer 2 gigabytes of data per month, which AT&T says will be enough for 98 percent of its smart phone customers. Additional gigabytes will cost $10 each.

A second plan will cost $15 per month for 200 megabytes of data, which AT&T says is enough for 65 percent of its smart phone customers. If they go over, they'll pay another $15 for 200 megabytes.

With that plan and voice service, a smart phone could cost as little as $55 per month before taxes and add-on fees, down from $70 per month. Ralph de la Vega, the head of AT&T's consumer business, said that means smart phones can become accessible to more people.

"Customers are getting a good deal, and if they can understand their usage, they can save some money," de la Vega said in an interview.

Figuring out which one to choose may not be easy, given that many people have only a hazy notion of the size of a gigabyte and how many they use now. By contrast, a minute spent talking on the phone is easy to understand, and many people have learned roughly how many minutes they use every month.

A gigabyte is enough for hundreds of e-mails and Web pages, but it's quickly eaten up by Internet video and videoconferencing. The 200 megabytes offered under the $15 plan is enough for about 20 minutes of streaming video.

These limits apply only on AT&T's cellular networks. Data usage over Wi-Fi, including AT&T's public Wi-Fi hot spots, will not count toward the limits.

De la Vega said AT&T is doing its part to educate consumers, by letting them track their usage online. The iPhone contains a data usage tracking tool. The carrier will also text-message subscribers to let them know they're getting close to their limits.

The new $25-per-month plan will replace the current $30 plan with unlimited usage that is available for the iPad, the tablet computer Apple released just a few months ago, though iPad owners can keep the old plan as long as they keep paying $30 per month, AT&T said.

AT&T, which is based in Dallas, said the new plans shouldn't materially affect its profits this year. Its shares rose 18 cents to $24.51 in Wednesday morning trading.

Consumers have rebelled against the idea of data usage caps on home broadband, at least when the limits are set low enough to make online video consumption expensive. Time Warner Cable Inc. was forced to back away from trials of data caps last year after consumer protests and threats of legislative action.

On wireless networks, where data capacity is more constrained, usage caps have been more common. Most wireless carriers, for instance, limit data cards for laptops to 5 gigabytes per month.

But with intense competition for smart phone users, phone companies have been reluctant to impose data caps on those devices, although Sprint Nextel Corp. reserves the right to slow down or disconnect users who exceed 5 gigabytes per month. Carriers also have started to lift limits on other forms of wireless use, by selling plans with unlimited calling and unlimited text messaging. That's not a big gamble, because not many people have the time to talk phone for eight hours a day or spend every waking minute sending text messages.

Smart phones, on the other hand, can draw a lot of data, depending on where and how they're used.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: AT&T Caps Phone Data Usage
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
"Clearly, the current unlimited data usage model in the U.S. market is not profitable in the long term," said David Dixon at FBR Capital Markets.

That's just the sentiment I want...

... start metering my home bandwidth by the euroweenie standards and billing me per MB.

Effers. 

You'll start seeing a LOT of ad blocker software getting more popular if this idea escapes ATT's idiocy and becomes mainstream for not only wireless providers, but broadband providers as well.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »
That's just the sentiment I want...

... start metering my home bandwidth by the euroweenie standards and billing me per MB.

Effers. 

You'll start seeing a LOT of ad blocker software getting more popular if this idea escapes ATT's idiocy and becomes mainstream for not only wireless providers, but broadband providers as well.

Not only ad-blockers, but image-blockers that only download an image if I really want to see it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »
Another reason for me to dump AT&T and switch to another carrier.

I'm in Los Angeles right now.  Last night, during the drive from Long Beach to here, I could not get a good signal from AT&T.  I never did get the 3G network, but did get a decent signal on the E network.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »

Sweet.  That mean we can cut AT&T's tax breaks and other incentives/subsidies?

All telecoms are provided with a metric ton of advantages to expand their infrastructure.  Because it's more profitable to maintain artificial scarcity than expand their infrastructure.  So they are intentionally given direct and indirect money to not do that and expand their infrastructure in the best interests of the nation as a whole. 

If they don't want to hold up their end of the bargain, no problem.  They're free to do as they want.  If they want to skip out on their end and still receive money (and legal protection as a public utility), we have a problem.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »
Agreed.  With how popular and necessary cell phones are in America, there is no reason why a company should not be able to provide the service under a capable infrastructure without getting.gov money.  But since they do, they need to build more towers, add more servers, whatever.  If congestion is a problem, like their coverage, build more.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
I can already see the new Verizon commercial: a guy with AT&T's tiny 3G network map above his head is trying to download the latest Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, and, just before he gets to the best part, the download is terminated and a message pops up saying "You have exceeded your monthly bandwidth allocation."

Next to him is a guy with Verizon's 3g network map above his head who, noticing AT&T guy's plight, takes pity on him and allows him a peek at his fully downloaded magazine.

Verizon phones will sell like hotcakes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:27:23 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
I've already been planning to switch to Verizon from T-Mobile, which uses ATT towers.  This is just one more reason.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »
Agreed.  With how popular and necessary cell phones are in America, there is no reason why a company should not be able to provide the service under a capable infrastructure without getting.gov money.  But since they do, they need to build more towers, add more servers, whatever.  If congestion is a problem, like their coverage, build more.

Artificial scarcity is more profitable in the short run, I think.    =|

Think Enron and artificial blackouts/brownouts in Cali.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:36 PM »
Well that's what's nice about capitalism.  ATT is trying to make short term profits by screwing the customers, and people will respond by choosing another carrier.  They're bringing this on themselves.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
Dear AT&T:

Thanks a million!

Sincerely,

Verizon and T-Mobile

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

taurusowner

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:29:53 PM »
Unfortunately T-Mobile uses the ATT towers IIRC, so who knows how this will affect T-Mobile customers.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 10:44:47 PM »
Unfortunately T-Mobile uses the ATT towers IIRC, so who knows how this will affect T-Mobile customers.

It shouldn't.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
Sweet.  That mean we can cut AT&T's tax breaks and other incentives/subsidies?

LOL.  How's the weather over there in utopia?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »
Ralph de la Vega, the head of AT&T's consumer business, said that means smart phones can become accessible to more people.

"Customers are getting a good deal, and if they can understand their usage, they can save some money," de la Vega said in an interview.

Ok so too many smart phone users is causing congestion so his theory is to hamstring all the new users so they can handle a bunch of new users. HUH?

Look I pay for an unlimited minutes plan now because I don't want to waste time trying to calculate my usage, same goes for a data plan.  Consumers have enough other concerns in life that the last thing we want to do is fiddle with bandwidth or minute usage calculations.  That is why the entire industry went to offering unlimited minute call plans.

I have confidence that this will backfire on them. (At least I hope it does, if it becomes an industry standard then I'll use my smart phone less.. and ultimately decide to dump the whole thing)
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 02:04:04 AM »
Dear Apple,

I like your products, mostly.  They are handy, mostly.  But you have terrible taste in cellular service providers.  Please fix this issue, before I throw my iphone off of a very tall mountain, buy an Android and a Dell, and no longer have to put up with your um, idiosyncrasies.  Which I didn't mind terribly, until I tried to take my Apple integration one step further and ended up with the worst cellular service on the planet.   

I like you, I really do.  But I don't like you enough to be ok with using AT&T.  Because they suck and I hate them.  Or vice-versa.  Or both. 

-Sara Haliczer.
Owner of a four week old iphone that doesn't work in the house,
And a one week old AT&T Microcell that rarely works,
Because my AT&T DSL service has worked for five of the past ten days.
And I'm tired of drinking too much $4 coffee in order to get some work done.
 :mad:

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 03:06:38 AM »
Dear Apple,

I like your products, mostly.  They are handy, mostly.  But you have terrible taste in cellular service providers.  Please fix this issue, before I throw my iphone off of a very tall mountain, buy an Android and a Dell, and no longer have to put up with your um, idiosyncrasies.  Which I didn't mind terribly, until I tried to take my Apple integration one step further and ended up with the worst cellular service on the planet.   

I like you, I really do.  But I don't like you enough to be ok with using AT&T.  Because they suck and I hate them.  Or vice-versa.  Or both. 

-Sara Haliczer.
Owner of a four week old iphone that doesn't work in the house,
And a one week old AT&T Microcell that rarely works,
Because my AT&T DSL service has worked for five of the past ten days.
And I'm tired of drinking too much $4 coffee in order to get some work done.
 :mad:

P.S.: Plz to fix Safarri.  It's a buggy piece of crap that is bigger a PITA to code for than I.E. (something I didn't think was possible).

Kthxbi
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 05:03:17 AM »
The 200 megabytes offered under the $15 plan is enough for about 20 minutes of streaming video.

Considering how many of their $9.99/mo extras are serious bandwidth hogs, (streaming digital radio, enhanced video streaming, etc.) even if there's not a backlash anywhere else, they'll shoot themselves in the foot on those services if they're not exempted from the limits.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 05:42:14 AM »
Verizon is going to eat AT&T alive with this one. Want to lower congestion? Expand your network.

I find it amusing that they say the 2gig data plan will be cool for 98% of their customers. I take that to mean that 98% of their current customers use that or less every month....so how does putting the limit at that lower consumption all that much, if at all? At least until you factor in the ticked off people that switch or cancel their data plans all together.

I don't have a smart phone or data package right now, but I'd been considering it and a switch to AT&T since my fiancee is on them and we'd have free whenever minutes. I just may dump that idea now because there's NWIH i'd get data on a limited plan like that. WIth voice, I can pretty easily keep track of your general amount of usage. You talk in minutes, you know you talked about ten minutes, and so on. You don't see the mb or gb usage unless you specifically go look for it, and then you only see it after you've used it and possibly gone over.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 06:38:20 AM »
I find it amusing that they say the 2gig data plan will be cool for 98% of their customers. I take that to mean that 98% of their current customers use that or less every month....

One thing they don't mention is that, since the limit appears to only apply to smartphone data plans, how many of their current smartphone users stay under that limit?  I can't see shelling out for the old iPhone and the service for it to not use it for video streaming, downloads, etc. and since the new one's big claim to fame is that it can do those things faster, I really don't see people buying it without the intent to use all of those features.

I suspect the claimed 98% includes a lot of people with prepaid phones or bare-minimum emergency-only plans and no data plan at all, and a lot of people who only talk and text, or occasionally send a photo.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
One thing they don't mention is that, since the limit appears to only apply to smartphone data plans, how many of their current smartphone users stay under that limit? 

I would find it difficult. I'm going to go stand in line at the Sprint store for my Evo today, but along with my current regular cell phone, I have a Sprint 3G modem. The Sprint plan is something like $20/mo for 500megs (stupid), or $50/mo for 5 gigs (though the forums say Sprint rarely charges for people going over). I usually only use the modem traveling, but I would say I use it as much as an active smartphone user uses their phone. I usually don't approach 5gigs, but I am rarely under 2gigs.

In point of fact, I could now upgrade that modem for one of their new 3G/4G modems at no cost, and the 3G/4G modem plan is unlimited data at the same price point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »
Ben:

How well do these 3G/4G modems work for stateful connections such as VPN's, citrix connections, and possibly even gaming?

What's the bandwidth up/down speeds?

Cox in my area is irking me, and I'm looking for an alternative.  Verizon FIOS is not in my area, and every other option is DSL.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
Ben:

How well do these 3G/4G modems work for stateful connections such as VPN's, citrix connections, and possibly even gaming?

I was using 2.5g/3g services (Verizon) with VPNs and such years ago.  It works fine.  Depending on the VPN, you might even maintain the tunnel when switching towers (useful if on the road).  I know Nortel's Contivity VPN supports this, though I never implemented it on the VPNs I managed (add on feature and not demanded by my customers).  We even resold Verizon's 3g service to our VPN customers as a value added service (we were another VZ division).

My experience is stateful connections work fine as long as you have adequate bandwidth and didn't change towers (only an issue if moving).

I wouldn't use one for gaming, at least not unless I had a very strong signal. 

My experiences are several years old by now.  I canceled my 3G service years ago because I no longer needed it since WiFi was nearly universal.

Chris

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
http://www.intomobile.com/2007/11/03/verizon-wireless-when-we-say-unlimited-data-we-mean-5gb-worth-of-unlimited-data.html

AT&T was the only company offering unlimited data. Verizon put a cap on the data speed and total data downloaded, the called it "unlimited."

iPhones are data hogs, of this I have no doubt. Safari is only one of the reasons for this, but I believe that fixing safari would result in a significant drop in demand.

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/6015/total-cost-of-ownership-motorola-droid-versus-iphone-3gs-versus-palm-pre/

I found this to show how you are basically paying the same amount for the same quality regardless of where you go (phone wise).

AT&T works where verizon doesn't, and vice versa. My iPhone gets a signal where I wouldn't expect any service, however I wouldn't even considered ATT if I lived on the either coast.

I am sitting at 400 Mb for the month, I generally use 600-800 Mb whenever I bother checking at the of the cycle.

IF I re-sign a contract with ATT, my bill would drop by five bucks a month and possibly improve service (though I question that).

My bill is already lower than my friends' who own the palm pre, and droid. I never worry about going over my minutes, thanks to rollover. The rollover minutes is likely to keep me as a customer, unless verizon has killer deals a year from now. This month I used 488/450 minutes. I have close to 3k rollover minutes, since I only sporatically need more I am saving quite a bit of money with ATT.

One thing they don't mention is that, since the limit appears to only apply to smartphone data plans, how many of their current smartphone users stay under that limit?  I can't see shelling out for the old iPhone and the service for it to not use it for video streaming, downloads, etc. and since the new one's big claim to fame is that it can do those things faster, I really don't see people buying it without the intent to use all of those features.

I suspect the claimed 98% includes a lot of people with prepaid phones or bare-minimum emergency-only plans and no data plan at all, and a lot of people who only talk and text, or occasionally send a photo.

they said 98% of smart phone users. Since ATTs choices for a smartphone sucks, we can assume most of those are iPhones. Mobile videos are typically low quality for low bandwidth consumption.

iPhones don't tether, decreasing demand for data. Rumors are that will change. We will see.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »
Ben:

What's the bandwidth up/down speeds?

Cox in my area is irking me, and I'm looking for an alternative.  Verizon FIOS is not in my area, and every other option is DSL.

I don't know how common it is among carriers, but my Sprint modem at least, has VPN options built into the interface, and that's one of the main things I do with it, besides use it in non-VPN mode on my work laptop when traveling so I don't have to subject the laptop to airport or hotel connections.

I've never used it on a Citrix connection, but we have some Citrix-like stuff at my agency, and I find it works fine for that.

I would NOT expect it to do even mediocre gaming. It never does very well at pingtest.net. Running speedtest, I get a pretty broad range of results depending on where I am. An "average" low to high is around .6mbps - 3.5mbps on downloads. For whatever reason, upload speed is usually pretty consistent at about .5mbps.

For general stuff and casual internet browsing, like surfing APS, I can hardly tell the difference between the 3G modem and my cable connection, even when loading image heavy threads. I can watch Netflix or Hulu with it, but I find to have an acceptable viewing experience, I have to pause the video right when it starts to let the buffer fill up. Otherwise the buffer kicks in too much during the video. Short videos like YouTube work fine.

In fact related to my other thread about my cable connection going to crap a few days ago, I have a Cradlepoint Router that does both WAN and cell modem, and I keep the modem plugged into it when I'm home. If cable goes out, the router auto-switches to the 3G modem.

As far as 4G, I have no experience with it, but from what I've been reading, the Sprint 4G protocol is getting mixed reviews. Apparently Verizon 3G is faster than Sprint 3G, and often rivals Sprint 4G in 4G fringe areas. Part of it could be 4G availability. Reviews from cities where Sprint 4G is widespread and not broken are usually two thumbs up and are compared to DSL.