Author Topic: More brainwashing?  (Read 5462 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
More brainwashing?
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »
I wonder if it's just ignorance of the English language, or if there's an underlying motive ...

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-st-charles-girl-called-hero-after-calm-911-call-to-save-dads-life-20120124,0,3897857.story?hpt=us_bn6

The point being: Whatever happened to the good, old-fashioned word "heroine"? It used to be, guys who did wonderful acts of bravery were "heroes" and gals who did such were "heroines." Now, in this age of gender blurring, I guess it's not acceptable to have young ladies think of themselves as the feminine version -- they have to think of themselves as "heroes."

Faugh!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: More brainwashing?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:08:59 AM »
I wonder if it's just ignorance of the English language, or if there's an underlying motive ...

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-st-charles-girl-called-hero-after-calm-911-call-to-save-dads-life-20120124,0,3897857.story?hpt=us_bn6

The point being: Whatever happened to the good, old-fashioned word "heroine"? It used to be, guys who did wonderful acts of bravery were "heroes" and gals who did such were "heroines." Now, in this age of gender blurring, I guess it's not acceptable to have young ladies think of themselves as the feminine version -- they have to think of themselves as "heroes."

Faugh!

"Heroine" is ambiguous; it could just mean the female protagonist in a drama, with no heroic qualities at all.  I prefer the word "hero" in this case.  We know what a hero is, and the person's sex has little to do with it.

(I also dislike the word "chairwoman".  The title is "chairman", and if a woman can do the job more power to her, she doesn't need a diminutive substitute title)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:12:13 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:23:11 AM »
Using the gender-neutral "hero" has been in common use for a while now. Since many different acts can denote/connote heroic behavior, and many of these are not inherently masculine or feminine, I don't believe that using "hero" to describe a female confuses the meaning.  Besides, the English language has been dropping gender specific nouns since it's genesis.  ;-) 

Moreover, if I were writing a script for a newscast, I would be more likely to use the word "hero" over "heroine" to prevent some members of the audience from thinking that a heroic female has just been called an illicit drug.   =)
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:56:56 AM »
"Heroine" is ambiguous; it could just mean the female protagonist in a drama, with no heroic qualities at all.  I prefer the word "hero" in this case.  We know what a hero is, and the person's sex has little to do with it.

(I also dislike the word "chairwoman".  The title is "chairman", and if a woman can do the job more power to her, she doesn't need a diminutive substitute title)

Woman is the diminutive form of man? I did not know that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:12:57 AM »

Touché. :)  That's not what I said; I said "chairwoman" is a made-up word and therefore could be construed as diminutive.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 07:24:05 AM »
[head-scratching smiley]

As long as it's not "gentlelady." Now there's a made-up word for you. And one that accomplishes the opposite of what is intended! rant/off
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 07:52:59 AM »

It kind of is, actually.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
"Heroine" is ambiguous; it could just mean the female protagonist in a drama, with no heroic qualities at all.  I prefer the word "hero" in this case.  We know what a hero is, and the person's sex has little to do with it.

You realize that "hero" has exactly the same possible meaning, right?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »
You realize that "hero" has exactly the same possible meaning, right?

Perhaps.  But Dudley Do-Right was not the one constantly getting tied to the RR tracks by Snidely Whiplash.  ;)
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
at a bar i once had an in depth conversation with a woman who preferred not to think of herself as an "actress", but rather as an "actor".  i never would have thought the term demeaning, but she was adamant that it was somehow a lesser position. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:42 AM »
The male embraces the female, in English.

"Heroine" is the proper term for a female hero, though a mixed group of folks who exhibit heroic qualities would be referred to as "heroes."

No need to further degenerate and uglify English.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »
Calling 911 is heroism now  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »

Only if you do it calmly.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »

Done smartly and calmly by a 7 year old girl (read the article), I'd say yeah.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
Calling 911 is heroism now  ???

When the option is a 7-y.o. performing a trachaeotomy.....yes.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
Touché. :)  That's not what I said; I said "chairwoman" is a made-up word and therefore could be construed as diminutive.

"Chairman" is also a made-up word. It describes the "man" who "chairs" a committee.

The mother of the Reverend William Sloan Coffin, former chaplain of Yale University, was about a ardent a feminist as could be found in the glory days of N.O.W. Catherine Coffin was, by her express choice, addressed as "chairwoman" of committees she chaired. She did not in any way consider the title a "diminutive."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
I would have stopped, blue pencil poised, over that one, too, but then I would have read on, confident that these professional wordcrafters, these Journalists, these well-paid literary experts, must have been right.

Barely worth a half toss or a half turn in bed that night.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:54:35 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:08 PM »
I don't really care a great deal about gender specific terminology. Chairman/Chairwoman/Chairperson, my staff got me a t-shirt for my birthday last year that had HBIC in large letters across the front. That would be me.

You can only be made to feel diminutive if you allow yourself to be.

But as zxcvbob said, heroine is not a made-up word. And she is one.

I'm really surprised none of you navy boys have weighed in on the use of "Sir" in the Navy, regardless of gender.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 11:21:57 PM »
I don't really care a great deal about gender specific terminology. Chairman/Chairwoman/Chairperson, my staff got me a t-shirt for my birthday last year that had HBIC in large letters across the front. That would be me.

I'm really surprised none of you navy boys have weighed in on the use of "Sir" in the Navy, regardless of gender.

Didn't have too much dealings with the fair sex wearing officer braid in the submarine service. However the one I did have regular dealings with preferred Ma'am. She was a Special Security Officer in the SCIF facility I worked in. Decent enough person, her degree was in fashion design.
A college education,
An act of congress,
And by the grace of god a leader of men.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »

I saw that in a STAR TREK movie .... was wondering about how it came about. [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 08:22:34 AM »

We really try to go for ma'am, tradition or not. Mister is actually a trickier proposition to either use correctly or use intentionally incorrectly. Of course most of the ossifers being insulted don't know enough. I've seen several female officers get their flakes pretty frosted over getting called sir. Usually the ones that you could call an honest mistake for gender ID...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
I've seen several female officers get their flakes pretty frosted over getting called sir. Usually the ones that you could call an honest mistake for gender ID...

http://youtu.be/mBLDBDFRp6E
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »
Truth be known aren't all words made up?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
Ma'am for females, Sir for males.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
Ma'am for females, Sir for males.

For Fistful?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?