Author Topic: Vikings! MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK  (Read 5812 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Vikings! MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
Watched the first season on Amazon Prime.  Pretty decent adult teevee fare. 

Sort of "PG-13 Rated Game of Thones in the Fjords."  No naughty bits exposed, but plenty of grunty rolling in the hay depicted.

Lots of things to like about it.  I am a sucker for Dark Age history, first off.  I like the way most folk are portrayed semi-filthy as befits a society without soap.  I like the depiction of the shield wall.

Complaints:
Helmets?  That is the first piece of armor anyone with a brain worth protecting buys and they were used extensively by Vikings.  And the sort they used still allowed for decent ID of the wearer.

The Saxons are portrayed miserably.  Both morally and technologically.  They were every bit as tough as the Vikings and many times slaughtered the Vikings.  The Vikings had the advantage of choosing when & where to attack.  Recall, the Battle of Hastings was lost to Wm of Normany after Harold slaughtered the Vikings up north a few days previous.  And Alfred the Great came back to win and craft a united England after being reduced to hiding in a swamp.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton