Author Topic: The S.W.A.T. reboot on CBS  (Read 2990 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
The S.W.A.T. reboot on CBS
« on: November 03, 2017, 02:05:55 AM »
Is really, really bad.

In the opening scene the SWAT cops shoot more people in five minutes than LAPD SWAT will shoot in a year, plus they stay on duty and are assigned to another detail the next day. No investigation into the shootings, no desk detail. Nothing.

The leader inadvertently shoots a kid and is fired by the chief the next day. No mention of his union intervening, no review board. Nothing. And Hondo gets promoted over the long-time second in command for some reason (he's black and the chief thought that would play well).

The detail they are assigned to is a public rally by the friends and family of the injured kid and Hondo tells everyone to get into their "dress blues" but when we see them next they're in regular street uniforms. How could they get that wrong?

At that time a transfer is supposed to be showing up. Cut to a motorcycle being driven recklessly through LA city traffic, red lights being run, people being put in danger and there behind him is a squad car chasing him. They finally catch him when he parks in front of police HQ. He tells them to leave the ticket on his bike as he runs at the building carrying a large backpack. The cops just look at each other and shrug. They have no idea who this guy is but they do know he's dangerous and is running towards a building full of cops. Yet they let him go. Personally I would have shot him, but that's just me.

Even if they didn't shoot him they would have kept after him. Reckless driving can get you arrested and leading the police on a chase certainly would. He would have been arrested, suspended and in time probably fired. Not on this show though.

Now the biker is a hot-headed transfer who gets himself into trouble on his first detail and gets yelled at but not otherwise disciplined.

Also there's a rival SWAT team that are not reasonable folks like Hondo's people. Just mean.

The last act is a bank robbery by what look like para-military types. It starts with RPGs being fired at police vehicles and ends with a Kung-Fu fight between Hot Head, who just used his department-issued car to wreck and flip over the getaway van, and the Boss Robber. Hot Head is losing but Hondo shows up and ends the fight and just shakes his head at this crazy kid.   

So many cliches, so much horrible dialogue, so many bullets being fired in busy areas. 

Not worth watching.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: The S.W.A.T. reboot on CBS
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:25:45 AM »
I felt the same way with some of the Dirty Harry shootouts.  They're fun to watch, but not fun to analyze.

"...as he runs at the building carrying a large backpack..."  That should have resulted in a hail of bullets from the pursuing cops and to hell with breaking the glass in the PD's front doors with a few stray rounds.

Don't let him in the building with that backpack !

But.... more fun to watch than to analyze.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »
Yeah, you never want to compare cop shows to reality.  =|  A fella could really sprain his noodle that-a-way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
I have long ago given up any thoughts (hope, wish, whatever word you want to insert here) of TV/movies involving the criminal justice system being realistic.  A favorite...Justified...was completely unrealistic.  How many shootings was Raylan involved in over the course of six seasons?  But, if it is entertaining otherwise, I don't care about realism.

(except for Law and Order.  The court process shown on that show was so bad, I couldn't get past it, even when Angie Harmon was on the show.   >:D  )
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »
Is really, really bad.

In the opening scene the SWAT cops shoot more people in five minutes than LAPD SWAT will shoot in a year, plus they stay on duty and are assigned to another detail the next day. No investigation into the shootings, no desk detail. Nothing.

The leader inadvertently shoots a kid and is fired by the chief the next day. No mention of his union intervening, no review board. Nothing. And Hondo gets promoted over the long-time second in command for some reason (he's black and the chief thought that would play well).

The detail they are assigned to is a public rally by the friends and family of the injured kid and Hondo tells everyone to get into their "dress blues" but when we see them next they're in regular street uniforms. How could they get that wrong?

At that time a transfer is supposed to be showing up. Cut to a motorcycle being driven recklessly through LA city traffic, red lights being run, people being put in danger and there behind him is a squad car chasing him. They finally catch him when he parks in front of police HQ. He tells them to leave the ticket on his bike as he runs at the building carrying a large backpack. The cops just look at each other and shrug. They have no idea who this guy is but they do know he's dangerous and is running towards a building full of cops. Yet they let him go. Personally I would have shot him, but that's just me.

Even if they didn't shoot him they would have kept after him. Reckless driving can get you arrested and leading the police on a chase certainly would. He would have been arrested, suspended and in time probably fired. Not on this show though.

Now the biker is a hot-headed transfer who gets himself into trouble on his first detail and gets yelled at but not otherwise disciplined.

Also there's a rival SWAT team that are not reasonable folks like Hondo's people. Just mean.

The last act is a bank robbery by what look like para-military types. It starts with RPGs being fired at police vehicles and ends with a Kung-Fu fight between Hot Head, who just used his department-issued car to wreck and flip over the getaway van, and the Boss Robber. Hot Head is losing but Hondo shows up and ends the fight and just shakes his head at this crazy kid.   

So many cliches, so much horrible dialogue, so many bullets being fired in busy areas. 

Not worth watching.

All this is one episode? That sounds like a recap of an entire season.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:11:14 PM »
All this is one episode? That sounds like a recap of an entire season.

The show will only last for one season so they have to get everything in while they can.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
In the opening scene the SWAT cops shoot more people in five minutes than LAPD SWAT will shoot in a year,

... and LAPD SWAT says:

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »
But, if it is entertaining otherwise, I don't care about realism.

(except for Law and Order.  The court process shown on that show was so bad, I couldn't get past it,

Heh.  The technical gaffes bothered me more, like the time they were searching for a "25mm pistol" (and the flatbed truck to haul it?) and the numerous times one of the detectives pulls his/her Glock and the sound effect is of a single-action revolver being cocked.

even when Angie Harmon was on the show.   >:D  )

The only reason I watched.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
I have long ago given up any thoughts (hope, wish, whatever word you want to insert here) of TV/movies involving the criminal justice system being realistic.  A favorite...Justified...was completely unrealistic.  How many shootings was Raylan involved in over the course of six seasons?  But, if it is entertaining otherwise, I don't care about realism.

(Except for Law and Order.  The court process shown on that show was so bad, I couldn't get past it, even when Angie Harmon was on the show.   >:D  )

Well, see, there you go, as with most others who've commented.

The more you know about something, the more errors you see and the less watchable is the show.

It annoys me that in "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Bewitched," every time they make something disappear, there's no BANG from the imploding air filling the sudden void.  I usually have to put a blanket or towel over things to slow down that inrush of air when I make them disappear.

On the other hand, there's Barbara Eden and Elizabeth Montgomery to compensate.  I guess they have a greater counterbalancing effect for me than Angie Harmon does for you, because I can watch anything with either Eden or Montgomery.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:47:34 PM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
. . . It annoys me that in "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Bewitched," every time they make something disappear, there's no BANG from the imploding air filling the sudden void. . . .

I can accept magic or warp drive in a fantasy or science fiction show more easily than UNrealistic behavior by humans in what is supposed to be an ordinary drama. (Especially when magic is being worked by the likes of the then youthful and comely Ms. Eden.  =D )

Agree with all the preceding critical comments about this incarnation of SWAT - although the original had it's blunders as well, such as reference to a ".234 Remington" rifle.

But I'm mildly surprised they didn't show the bad guys buying their RPGs at a local gun show the day before, without a background check.

And when the SWAT guys busted into the house, there was no mention of a warrant and they didn't announce "POLICE!" during or after their entry.

Plus . . . WHY were the SWAT guys hanging out at what appeared to be the remains of a partially demolished building?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »
I give procedurals some leeway in how they depict things. Like on the CSI shows having so few people with so many skill sets. That has to be done to keep the number of cast members under control. Also solving crimes in a day or two when it can take months or years has to happen to keep the narrative contained. And having workplaces due to their size, design, equipment and decor that are beyond what a real public agency can manage. You don't want to bore the viewer so that's okay to a point.

SWAT on the other hand goes a bit overboard in that their HQ seems to be a fortress, yet with huge hallways and other assembly areas. In TV shows spaces have to be bigger because of the cameras and crew. But this place is like someone gave Le Corbusier an infinite pile of money and said "make it huge and make it brutal. Brutal like a thing has never been before". 

I don't know why they hang out in some ruins and casually discharge firearms there. They didn't mention the reason for that. I'm sure there's a policy if not a law against the public discharge of firearms. But maybe Commando Cops get a pass on that.

They also didn't mention why when the SWAT guys are investigating their case, (do SWAT members even do investigations?) they go as a group. All five of them do the leg work together. That seems like a waste. Also like something no one does, ever.

Finally, they called a shooter a "sniper" even though he only hit one target out of about 10 shots against people who were in the open and/or moving in straight lines.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 07:53:09 PM »

Finally, they called a shooter a "sniper" even though he only hit one target out of about 10 shots against people who were in the open and/or moving in straight lines.

So does the news.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
Heh.  The technical gaffes bothered me more, like the time they were searching for a "25mm pistol" (and the flatbed truck to haul it?)

Shouldn't be that much bigger than a 15.7mm.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 11:24:37 PM »
Sniping does not have to include an "accuracy" qualification.  Most modern usage implies that, but at root, it only means shooting at targets from concealment. 

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
I enjoyed the action,  of which there was too much.  Missiles taking out police vehicles is a little much.   
Lots of full auto fire and acrobat cops 'n'   robbers ..... 
Ok,  I don't believe it,  but I'm going to watch a few episodes and give it a chance.
How much do we see on most police dramas of shooting review boards  and bureaucratic stuff....so it's called fiction for a reason. 
In the 1970s  I once asked a real police officer what he thought of a then broadcast TV show called ADAM 12,  and he said the tv cops  never did the amount of paperwork he or his fellow officers did.
It's  TV.  It's  there to entertain.  Not a  documentary.

I did like the closing with the use of composer Barry DeVorzon's  original tv themes as a tribute.   That  was one of the first TV themes  to make it to radio,   I recall in my college years I'd  hear it played a lot.
I liked the original  series....tamer violence, but probably no more realistic than this iteration.

I'll see how this show evolves.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
Girl: "So like cops, only cooler?"
Scene: Two guys giving the, "so cool we can't stand ourselves" look as a response.

That was the preview commercial I saw for the show, hence I chose not to watch it. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 02:32:44 PM »

The only reason I watched.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be...away for a while.  (calls to SWMBO "Can you come here for a while?  Don't mind the tablet over there...")
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
I watched the first couple of minutes and then went off to read my book.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
Now the wife is watching this on the netwebs with the streamings.

It's still very, very bad.

:facepalm:

I really don't get her. We just watched this season's Bosch where they go to great lengths to get things right and she enjoys that but then turns right around and watches this SWAT drek and enjoys it as much.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
I finally watched an episode.

Well, part of an episode.

Can't even tell you which one it was, but yeah, it was BAD.

" A favorite...Justified...was completely unrealistic.  How many shootings was Raylan involved in over the course of six seasons?"

He must have killed more men that Cecil B. DeMille...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 07:33:09 AM »
I finally watched an episode.

Well, part of an episode.

Can't even tell you which one it was, but yeah, it was BAD.

" A favorite...Justified...was completely unrealistic.  How many shootings was Raylan involved in over the course of six seasons?"

He must have killed more men that Cecil B. DeMille...

A few minutes of SWAT was all I needed to see.

And yeah, so what if Raylan shot a ton of people...the writing was better, the plot was better, and the acting was better.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 07:36:55 AM »
"the writing was better, the plot was better, and the acting was better."

My biggest problem with Justified, and I mentioned it here in a discussion once, was that so many of the antagonists were circus clowns. Completely over the top almost caricature of villains.  Even Boyd was a circus clown. I'm supposed to be afraid of these people? Right...

The ONLY one that was scary, even downright terrifying, was Mags Bennett. I still think that that character, and Margo Martindale's portrayal, gave us the greatest TV villain ever.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 07:43:45 AM »
"the writing was better, the plot was better, and the acting was better."

My biggest problem with Justified, and I mentioned it here in a discussion once, was that so many of the antagonists were circus clowns. Completely over the top almost caricature of villains.  Even Boyd was a circus clown. I'm supposed to be afraid of these people? Right...

The ONLY one that was scary, even downright terrifying, was Mags Bennett. I still think that that character, and Margo Martindale's portrayal, gave us the greatest TV villain ever.

Pretty much true for almost every TV or movie villain, and most in books.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »
Not as bad as it was in Justified.

For the most part NCIS does a good job of writing villains.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »
Not as bad as it was in Justified.

For the most part NCIS does a good job of writing villains.
Occasionally you see a villain that doesn't think they are a villain, but usually they do bad things to pay for the kids operation or something.  You don't always see the guy who self-justifies every action they take as good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge