Author Topic: What caliber for baboons?  (Read 1642 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What caliber for baboons?
« on: April 17, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/17/baboons-use-barrel-to-escape-texas-research-facility-officials-say.html

The article says they were captured by a highly-trained team.  Inquiring minds want to know how one captures a baboon. Nets, tranquilizer guns, Jif chunky smeared on a banana?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: What caliber for baboons?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
Peter Capstick wrote an article for American Hunter in the 1970s about dealing with a troop of baboons that had started causing big problems for villagers. It finally came to a head when the troop killed a woman and her child.

So, instead of sniping them with his .375 H&H as he had been doing, he and his trackers laid a trap around their nesting area. IIRC it involved a trench with burning oil and gasoline to move them in the direction he wanted, a bunch of flash bangs, and a Mac 10 submachine guns he bought from a former rebel.

He wiped out about a quarter of the troop, which induced it to find a new nesting area away from the villages they were harassing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »
From the video, all I can say is those guys chasing the one on the street are lucky it didn't feel inclined to turn on them.

The baboon would have torn them apart.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »
In his short story The Killer Baboons of Vlackfontein the late Peter Hathaway Capstick used various calibers on baboons, finally using a 9mm SMG. I used a .30/06 which was more gun than needed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
Peter Capstick wrote an article for American Hunter in the 1970s about dealing with a troop of baboons that had started causing big problems for villagers. It finally came to a head when the troop killed a woman and her child.

So, instead of sniping them with his .375 H&H as he had been doing, he and his trackers laid a trap around their nesting area. IIRC it involved a trench with burning oil and gasoline to move them in the direction he wanted, a bunch of flash bangs, and a Mac 10 submachine guns he bought from a former rebel.

He wiped out about a quarter of the troop, which induced it to find a new nesting area away from the villages they were harassing.

Man, can you imagine that being done today? It would be Hurambi x100.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »
LOVE this line...

When they try to bite you, you can't make them too dead.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »
LOVE this line...

When they try to bite you, you can't make them too dead.

That applies to pretty much everything that has reached maturity. (And some that haven't.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
That's why I love it.

Capstick may have been an arrogant ass but boy could he write a story.

I met him a couple of times when I was on staff at NRA publications.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »
Wasn't this how THE PLANET OF THE APES  got started? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »
.30-Ape Special
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
Man, can you imagine that being done today? It would be Hurambi x100.

Not enough dicks for that tribute....

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 09:41:42 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 09:50:45 AM »
That's why I love it.

Capstick may have been an arrogant ass but boy could he write a story.

I met him a couple of times when I was on staff at NRA publications.
I met him at an SCI convention - first very briefly at the A-Square rifle booth, and then then next day we sat and chatted a while over coffee for about a half hour. He seemed very personable, and gave me some good advice for my next safari.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »
It was reading Capstick's stories in American Hunter that really got me interested in cartridge collecting. The way he described rounds like the .416 Rigby, .458 Winchester, .404 Jeffrey, and his .470 Nitro really lit my interest in cartridges. Up to that time (late 1970s) I'd not thought much beyond the .22 Long Rifle or .30-06, or the incredibly interesting history of the metallic cartridge and its influence on history.