Author Topic: The Great Resignation is the Great Reshuffle  (Read 1210 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The Great Resignation is the Great Reshuffle
« on: May 15, 2022, 11:57:05 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/all-of-those-quitters-theyre-at-work/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3acXFPo10UaWEE5X0_eQxGsHvZ-1s-IbWd37RsJuGCnmoPPLEkzLeZd5s#Echobox=1652628397

People are quitting and going to where they are treated and paid better.  Our healthcare system wants me to be the regional director of risk management for Washington state, but they want me to work in a downtown Seattle office five days a week.  I told them no, since that would entail a commute of four hours a day, and if they really want me, we will have to discuss a hybrid model.  We will see if we come to terms.  Since I am still planning on retiring in a year, no great loss if I skip that job.  I did that four hour commute from 2018 to 2020, and never again at my age.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: The Great Resignation is the Great Reshuffle
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »
My wonder with you end of career types is that a few million of them are going to look at their retirement assets getting beat up this year and delay retirement until some recovery. That makes the entire job market less mobile.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »
My wonder with you end of career types is that a few million of them are going to look at their retirement assets getting beat up this year and delay retirement until some recovery. That makes the entire job market less mobile.

We are already seeing nursing and other staff revoking their planned retirements due to the current market returns.  This may be because this is a very high cost of living area.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 01:57:21 PM »
We are already seeing nursing and other staff revoking their planned retirements due to the current market returns.  This may be because this is a very high cost of living area.
My cousin's son (mid-20s) is an RN. He's been working the ER at a hospital on Chicago's north side for some years - he had a job waiting for him as soon as he graduated. Good money, but long commute since he lived in a southern suburb.

Recently he took stock of his job, and decided to switch to becoming a traveling nurse. According to his mom, he's getting paid more - a LOT more, as in over double the pay - and his current assignment is only a 10 minute commute.

So . . . it seems that in today's job market, there are opportunities for skilled workers with a good work ethic. And some established businesses (like the healthcare system in the OP and the hospital my cousin's son was working at) seem to be having trouble wrapping their heads around the situation.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 02:00:29 PM »
How much more money are they offering you?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »

Not enough to make me embrace that four hour commute five days a week.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 02:22:37 PM »

Enough you'd consider staying in an apartment during the week?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 02:32:37 PM »
Enough you'd consider staying in an apartment during the week?

It's Seattle. That'd put him into a negative income situation.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 03:08:16 PM »
It's Seattle. That'd put him into a negative income situation.  =D

Well, I was thinking more of a business suites hotel or something like that, but that would still be expensive as hell.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 04:19:51 PM »
The sad part is that the office building is 45 miles each way from my home, but during the typical rush hour in this area, it would generally be two hours each way, or four gallons of gas plus $ 325/month parking.  Back when I was making that commute, it was quicker and much cheaper to drive 20 miles to Everett and catch the light rail or Metro bus to and from downtown Seattle. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 05:33:14 PM »
As I expected, my leaving IBM a few months ago has started a mass exodus of the older workers in my department.  (almost the entire dept is retirement eligible) I wasn't all *that* important, but everyone was spread way too thin already and there's no one to pick up my work.  Nobody really *knows* what I did, and there is no one to train them.  I gave them 2 years notice and they didn't do anything with it.  The other "dinobabies" that IBM hates have said *expletive deleted*ck it and are also leaving, taking all our knowledge and experience with us.  I've been told that all the new-hires are leaving too.  The product I supported should totally collapse soon, along with all the revenue it provided.  The customers with maintenance contracts that IBM can't possibly fulfill (especially the Large User Group) should start rebelling soon and I hope filing lawsuits.  I think it's funny.

I saw there was a puff piece in the New York Times recently about IBM's CEO.  (Google pushed it to me)  Don't know what that's about.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:01:49 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 05:39:37 PM »
I agree on the commute not being worth it.  Even if it was a good deal of money, the time and headache of a long daily commute can't be worth that. 

My company started allowing 2 or 3 days a week working from home for engineers at our corporate office (going back to "normal" after COVID).  Makes commuting into Houston a lot more attractive than it used to be.  Still happy where I am at.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 05:45:08 PM »
My current commute is two days a week to a clinic 24 miles away which takes about 40 minutes. I can live with that.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 12:57:14 AM »
Heh - turns out that a president of a local corp knows some of my local shooting buddies, and it was on the short list of places that I'm going to apply to - because I'm sick of where I've been - it isn't the customers, by the way... It is the management and that they're scared to fire the bad apples...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 07:15:55 AM »
A few months ago AT&T started touting that it's "time to return to work!"  Talked about coming back into the office, blah blah blah..

Since then?

Maybe a few dozen additional people have actually returned to this office -- most of the people who are in the building have actually been here the entire time because of the work we do.

AT&T has pretty much said absolutely nothing additional about people returning to work, and as it looks right now, they're disassembling HUGE cubicle zones in this building and either putting the stuff in storage or are tossing it out, not sure which.

Our lease on this building ends in a couple of years.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:48:06 AM by K Frame »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 08:52:39 AM »
We helped pay for a course for our DIL get certified for medical coding.  She started her  new job working from home last week.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 09:55:23 AM »
This spring I got put on 60 hour weeks. Extra pay has been nice, but I have an interview after work today.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 10:23:30 AM »
Heh - turns out that a president of a local corp knows some of my local shooting buddies, and it was on the short list of places that I'm going to apply to - because I'm sick of where I've been - it isn't the customers, by the way... It is the management and that they're scared to fire the bad apples...

More proof that often it's who you know, not what you know, that lands a good job.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 11:00:20 AM »
A few months ago AT&T started touting that it's "time to return to work!"  Talked about coming back into the office, blah blah blah..

Since then?

Maybe a few dozen additional people have actually returned to this office -- most of the people who are in the building have actually been here the entire time because of the work we do.

AT&T has pretty much said absolutely nothing additional about people returning to work, and as it looks right now, they're disassembling HUGE cubicle zones in this building and either putting the stuff in storage or are tossing it out, not sure which.

My employer owns the corporate office building.  They leased out another floor or two during COVID.  Now the only people with a permanent desk are people that still have an office.  Cubicles are for the day only.  They can't bring everyone back full time if they wanted. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 12:13:51 PM »
I don't know about y'all, but things aren't all about the money. The job has to be interesting and involve accomplishing something. Money merely means that I don't worry about it.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2022, 12:26:57 PM »
I don't know about y'all, but things aren't all about the money. The job has to be interesting and involve accomplishing something. Money merely means that I don't worry about it.

Short-term it can be all about the money.  Long term it's not; you'll be miserable and the money is usually not worth it.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2022, 10:20:52 PM »

Since then?

The AT&T I worked for would have either thrown it away in the most environmentally unfriendly way possible or locked it all in an empty room and lost the key, never to be used or seen again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2022, 06:58:40 AM »
"The AT&T I worked for would have either thrown it away in the most environmentally unfriendly way possible or locked it all in an empty room and lost the key, never to be used or seen again."

From what I understand, they're going with option 2.

But at least top men are on it. TOP men...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2022, 02:21:06 PM »
At the big Co building in down town Tulsa there were several rooms like that. One of them had several dozen very nice swivel desk/office chairs in it, you could see them from the small window. We had desk chairs with property inventory stickers dating to the late '50s. Could not get a replacement chair for a worn out office chair to save your life. In one corner of the 2nd floor equipment room there was a pile of broken chairs that would have filled two dumpsters had we been allowed to throw them away.
In one of the storage closets there were boxes full of relays and vacuum tubes that hadn't been in use for decades,  a pallet of 60/40 solder*, a half dozen wide carriage manual typewriters, two of them still new in the original box.
Hell, if they were serious about finding Jimmy Hoffa they could start by looking in old AT&T Central Office buildings.

* a few rolls of which may have disappeared just before I retired.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2022, 05:55:58 PM »
Sweeten the pot.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG