Author Topic: Top 10 Deadliest Animals  (Read 4299 times)

Paddy

Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« on: September 14, 2005, 12:23:29 PM »

grampster

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 12:51:17 PM »
The skeeter.  And DDT killed how many people?  Until DDT came along in 1877 and patented as an insecticide in 1939, 200 million people got malaria from mosquitos.  About 2 million of them died each year.  Every nation in malarial regions that sprayed DDT for mosquitos saw the virtual end of malaria.  Six years after DDT was banned in the '70's over 800 million people contracted malaria and an estimated 8.2 million died per year.  Regarding the value of DDT as opposed to it's so called bad effects could fill a book.  In fact Dr. Dixie Lee Ray's book "Trashing the Planet"  devotes a whole chapter debunking DDT as a harmful chemical.  In fact the value of it as a pesticide is almost inestimable.  Yet the Left wing eco-terrorists mounted a smear campaign of monumental proportions that denied all of the scientific evidence regarding it's value.
William Ruckelshaus, the EPA administrator, who banned DDT, later recanted and admitted it was a "political decision...not one based on science...and remains so today."

All of the generally understood and believed "facts" about DDT are nonsense.
I highly recomend this book.  It is a must read for everyone who really wants to know the truth about our environment.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 01:52:38 PM »
Humans.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Typhoon

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 02:13:40 PM »
I would have voted box jellyfish.  But, yes...  The mosquito wins simply based on the numbers...
To the stars!

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 02:23:15 PM »
I was going to say some sort of insect that transmitted diseases.  Mosquito sounds right
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

natedog

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 02:40:31 PM »
Man is certainly the deadliest, most malicious animal on earth.

MaterDei

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 03:14:43 PM »
Is a bacterium a plant, an animal, or other?  If it's classified as an animal then it gets my vote.  Otherwise I pick human.  Mosquitos are responsible from many more deaths than are humans but they aren't dangerous in and of themselves, are they?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 06:21:16 PM »
poison dart frog?
they maybe deadly, but how many people have died from their toxin?

that list is a bunch of hooey

hippos kill more people than buffalo

the most dangerous animal on the planet is a cell phoning soccer mom driving a minivan
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Antibubba

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 11:39:23 PM »
Stalin?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 05:09:05 AM »
I figured humans would be at the top as well, if for no other reason than we've wiped out more species than every other animal combined. (I think...) That, and that we're not limited to one island or one climate zone, but rather cover the globe and even reach out into space.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 08:53:37 AM »
Whatever animal they make McDonald's hamburgers out of. Them things are just evil.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Paddy

Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 10:23:39 AM »
hippos kill more people than buffalo
heh. You may be right:
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhippo.html

Standing Wolf

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 06:47:15 PM »
I figured humans would be at the top as well, if for no other reason than we've wiped out more species than every other animal combined.
Not to mention the millions of ourselves we've slaughtered.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Bugman

Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 09:40:31 AM »
All of the generally understood and believed "facts" about DDT are nonsense.

DDT are persistent accumulative.
 They not only do not dissipate in the environment they are stored in the  fat cells and are passed up the food chain where they accumulate in the bodies of everything that consumes them.

It causes severe nervous system disorders and has been linked to the death of Lake Apopka and severe neurological diseases of the people who worked the muck farms and those who lived nearby

There are many many less problematic chemicals better suited or at least as well suited for the task.

boing

Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 01:00:46 PM »
Mosquitos are harmless. It's the various species of Plasmodium parasite that cause malaria.

"Guns don't kill people. Bullets kill people."

Smiley

Iapetus

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 07:05:40 AM »
Quote from: MaterDei
Is a bacterium a plant, an animal, or other?  If it's classified as an animal then it gets my vote.  Otherwise I pick human.  Mosquitos are responsible from many more deaths than are humans but they aren't dangerous in and of themselves, are they?
Bacteria have a whole kingdom to themselves.

The last I heard, there were five kingdoms and two super-kingdoms:

Superkingdom Prokaryota:
Cingle-celled organisms with no cell nucleus.  Includes the Bacteria, and possibly some other things even more primitive.

Superkingdom Eukaryota:
Organisms with cells with nuclei.  Includes:

Protists: All single-celled eukaryotes, and some multi-celled ones as well.  Includes some things like amoebas and algae that were formerly classified as animals or plants, but it was eventually decided the boundaries were too imprecise.  What do you call a single-celled organism that uses photosynthesis, and can swim around using its flagella trying to avoid predators and catching food?

Plants: Multicellular organisms that use photosynthesis, and have some other defining characteristics I can't remember off hand (possibly "being made from cellulose").

Fungi: Once classified as plants, but then it was realised they are as different from them as plants are from animals.  And later discovered that they actually have more in common with animals than they do with plants.

Animals: Move.  Eat.  (Probably more to it than that).

Disclamer: it is atleat 7 years since I was taught this, and am writing from memory.  I may have missed something important or made a mistake.  (Or the definitions may have changed as well).

grampster

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 07:09:56 AM »
I've seen some humans who's boundaries are somewhat imprecise.  So what shall we call them?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Paddy

Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 07:31:56 AM »
grampster, they're Democrats.

grampster

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 08:56:17 AM »
HEH.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 09:41:47 AM »
Humans, the two-legged ape!

Have always heard Hippos were the deadliest animal in Africa.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

vernal45

• friend
Top 10 Deadliest Animals
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 10:15:43 AM »
my wife is #1, if she catches me trying to "sneak" a new gun in the house.  That does not happen to often, I have that action down to a science.  lol