Author Topic: "Hands free" laws?  (Read 17227 times)

The Annoyed Man

Re: "Hands free" laws?
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
The entire earth is God's waiting room.  Old people have already enjoyed longevity.  Young people may not be so lucky.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »
Why not?  You've clearly decided that all cell phone users are dangerous?  Why not all old people?

Well, first, who's 'old'?  I'm 62, the same age as Bush and 10 years younger than McCain.  Am I too old to drive according to you?  Then Bush and McCain are too old to be President.  And Reagan was 79 when he left office.  But we know Alzheimer's had taken over by then. 

Or are you just yappin' to hear your jaws slam together?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »
Paddy-

I know senile 65 year olds.

Your post demonstrates perfectly that there are variables to be considered.  One persons age where they slip into being senile is not someone elses.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »
Umm, actually, I knew a guy that died of Alzheimer's in his early 50s...

And thanks for pointing out my typo, blackcash. In no way diminishes your (seeming) attitude...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 02:38:37 PM »
Why not?  You've clearly decided that all cell phone users are dangerous?  Why not all old people?

Or are you just yappin' to hear your jaws slam together?

Hi, Kettle, this is Pot...did you call?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »
I really think it is a mistake to ban or restrict things just because some people don't use them properly or safely. 

When I used to commute in Houston, I pulled out the cell phone sometimes when I was sick of talk radio and just needed to pass the time to avoid going stir crazy in traffic.  You just keep your speed down and keep up with those in front of you.  If you have to make lane changes and such, you stop talking.  It can be done responsibly. 

The other thing to mention is that most all cities have intersections and sections of roads that are just plain dangerous to navigate even for experienced drivers.  Hell, the road construction people sometimes set up some very dangerous situations when they lay out warnings and such for construction work. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:45 AM »

This lady is not in danger.  She will already be through the intersection before that truck gets there.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
The other thing to mention is that most all cities have intersections and sections of roads that are just plain dangerous to navigate even for experienced drivers.

That would be the entire city of Boston.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 09:59:45 AM »
And thanks for pointing out my typo, blackcash. In no way diminishes your (seeming) attitude...

Jes sayin'...  Don't think you'll be too successful due to the industry and your apparent lack of ability with the English language.

Dude, get over yourself.

I earned a 3rd-sigma score* on the verbal portion of the SAT, have had articles published in magazines, and authored many a proposal section.

Yet, some of my thread postings contain spelling and/or grammatical errors.

Could it be that the norms surrounding spelling and grammar in thread posts are more relaxed than they are for published periodicals and that most post authors know this and post without referencing Strunk & White?

Perhaps knowing the venue, audience, & expectations is part & parcel of writing.

* To the right of the mean
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
Wow, go get a gold star, put it on the fridge and go tell yo mamma.  The point?  Nobody cares.
Did someone run over your dog or something today?
Read the URL of the website plz kthx.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »
oh no  the college kids are out again
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 10:21:04 AM »
Wow, go get a gold star, put it on the fridge and go tell yo mamma.  The point?  Nobody cares.

Chill dude!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
oh no  the college middle school kids are out again

Fixed that for you.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 10:52:09 AM »
And again, why do we not have an "ignore" button?

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 10:54:29 AM »
As it is already illegal to operate a car in California in a distracted manner, I don't see what this law will accomplish other than to increase ticket revenue, and give cops another reason to pull over and harass good people.  The reason being, the only change this law will make (since someone driving in a distracted manner may be pulled over anyway right now) is that the people on the phone who are driving while paying attention may now be pulled over.  Also, this law does not outlaw the sending of text messages while driving, for those over 18.

• friends
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 11:12:33 AM »
i stand corrected  properly chastened
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 02:05:56 PM »

This lady is not in danger.  She will already be through the intersection before that truck gets there.  Smiley

That, and it appears that the semi is stopped at a stop sign, which means that she probably had the right-of-way. Wink
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »

Reiterating what Charby said. WAY too new to cop an attitude. It's Armed POLITE Society.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »

That, and it appears that the semi is stopped at a stop sign, which means that she probably had the right-of-way.

And, because she's looking at the cellphone rather than the road,  she's about to rear end the car in front of her.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
It actually looks like her eyes are on the road. Tongue
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

• friends
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »
young and short i'll bet  bad combo

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2008, 06:03:20 PM »
Yeah, her eyes look like they are focused straight ahead to me also.

I would have to point out that I am one who has actually done some reading while driving.  At one time, I drove back and forth from Houston to Beaumont a few times a week.  Sometimes, you just need a mental distraction to get your mind off how long and straight the road is and how tired I was.  I might only read a couple pages over 10 minutes constantly looking at the road and the book. Smiley  It is enough to get the mind thinking and I believe I was more alert overall doing that than I would have been zoning out doing nothing.  Books on tape are much better.  I would never do it in city driving.  Too many cars and too many turns and on/off ramps.  Too much going on not to have your mind on driving. 

The main thing with reading, talk radio, music, phone calls, or whatever your distraction is, you have to recognize when you need to forget the distraction and put your mind on driving.  You have to maintain a basic awareness of the road and other vehicles around you.  If you are unable to do that, you really need to turn off the distractions. 

Do we need to outlaw readings while driving?  Cheesy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 08:06:53 PM »
Looks like she is turning based on the way the steering wheel looks.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friend
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 09:08:06 PM »

At least it is here in CT.  Hell, I see COPS talking on cell phones all the time.

At the risk of stirring the pot..... COPS (as you call them) in CT, , are exempt from the ban when engaged in LE communication.

Now, I'll pop some Orville Redenbacher's Popcorn and watch that tidbit of information float around....   angel

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »

Just for the record, blackcash88 will be away for the duration of the internet, he is very busy shopping for refridgerators, and simply won't have time to post.

And yes, I'm sure he will not be on the phone, wearing a seatbelt, driving with two hands on the wheel, and not street racing through a school zone.

M
One day at a time.