Author Topic: my wife needs a job......  (Read 19500 times)

Avalanche2082

my wife needs a job......
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
we have been together since high school, she has never had a job and has no experience or skills besides being a homemaker. The economy has hit my job and she will now need to find work. My other problem is I don't want her to be working where there will be other men looking at her all day or bossing her around. Do any of you have any ideas as to what she could do for work? Maybe a work at home job that actually works and not ebay?  Thanks.

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: my wife needs a job......
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »
Are you freaking kidding me? Please tell me you are not being serious.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »
Escape artist?  cheesy

Actually, a position as a hotel desk clerk is a decent first job for an adult who needs work experience.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
You don't want men looking at her? Get a burkha.

Seriously, I'm sure this is a case of things sounding worse online than they really are, but you don't paint a very good picture of your relationship.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »
I'm with Balog in hoping that this is a case of internet miscommunication.

In any case, if she has a bachelor degree, there's a company that hires online tutors for $10 an hour.  I signed up with them, but I stopped short of doing the tutoring because I didn't have childcare.  It's popular among sahms.  I forget the name of the company, but Google might help.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
Avalanche, your concern for having your wife enter the workplace is entirely reasonable.  There are lots of situations where someone sheltered from interaction with unfamiliar men, or from working period, will be uncomfortable and under a lot of stress, doubly so when the new job is due to financial pressure at home.  You are right to be aware of it and to look for situations that won't be so unfamiliar to your wife or present as much of a risk for harrassment.

Your first bet would be women's clothing stores, a perfume/make-up type retail job, or something similar.  If you are religious, you might also want to inquire with your group...see if there is a women's organization or childcare facility that might be able to take your wife on.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »
Avalanche, your concern for having your wife enter the workplace is entirely reasonable.

...and SS will be perfectly happy to recommend a friendly retailer of burkas, for your convenience.

Meanwhile, if *she* isn't comfortable with an ordinary workplace, then his suggestions make some sense. 

Avalanche2082

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »
shootinstudent those are some very good ideas, my wife really likes someof those ideas.  Any other ideas possibly something she could do at home? No, she has no degrees, and if it helps shes 23 years old.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
Avalanche, your concern for having your wife enter the workplace is entirely reasonable.

...and SS will be perfectly happy to recommend a friendly retailer of burkas, for your convenience.

Meanwhile, if *she* isn't comfortable with an ordinary workplace, then his suggestions make some sense. 

He clearly said she has never worked before, been with him since high school, and has lived entirely as a homemaker.  I'm going to say that those facts alone rightly give cause for concern now that she's off to work.

I don't agree with the practice of burka wearing, myself, but I also don't agree that women should be ridiculed or prohibited from wearing burkas should they so choose, as long as they don't invite ridicule by [incorrectly] bragging about how pious they are for wearing it.

Women should wear what they are comfortable wearing-if we want people to be modest (men and women), that is another issue, but immodest dress is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »
Private housecleaning ...?

Pet sitting ? (going to folks' houses once or twice a day to feed/water/walk/etc)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »
shootinstudent those are some very good ideas, my wife really likes someof those ideas.  Any other ideas possibly something she could do at home? No, she has no degrees, and if it helps shes 23 years old.

It's really tough to make any significant income from home without having some sort of artisan/expert skill set, I believe. 

There's always childcare and babysitting, but you will encounter regulatory problems with that. 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
She's only 23, it's not like she's 50 and never worked. I'd say let her look around a little and maybe find something that she might like or might be interested in. The unemployment office is usually good for decent leads. 23 is the perfect age to NOT get in a low pay / low skill job that will put her in a rut and never let her out. Like Mc Ds or waiting tables. Unfortunately most meaningful jobs will require contact with both genders, so I'd get used to the idea that she will have to interact with other men. You sound like you question whether your relationship is strong enough to survive such a happening. If it isn't, better to find out now. If it is, so much the better for both of you. Taking a few courses in her free time wouldn't hurt her either. Math and English are good starting points.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 02:57:40 PM »
My other problem is I don't want her to be working where there will be other men looking at her all day or bossing her around.

Umm, I'm not aware of any job where she won't get bossed around. That's just part of having a job. Unless you own the company, you're going to get bossed around. A lot. That should be the expectation going in.

lacoochee

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »
I think the house keeping suggestion has a lot of merit.  She is obviuosly qualified to do that work, it need not be forty hours a week, she could in fact set her own hours.  Reporting her income would also be up to her as well.  I know tons of people who would like a half day of help once a week and I am sure that once she starts that by word of mouth alone she will ge more help than she can handle.  In fact, it may help with your employment situation as well, I would bet that she will come across a bunch of opportunities for you to make extra money doing handy man and yard work as she makes her rounds.

I also think it's ridiculous that you are being ridiculed for suggesting that you don't want your wife oggled or harassed in a job that would be unsuitable for her.  I hope the Lord blesses you with opportunities in the future and that your wife finds peace in whatever she decides to do.

Note:  shootinstudent your posts were very nice and considerate and have caused me to re-evaluate my opinion of you based on your posts.  You are obviously sincere in your convictions and walk the walk I can respect that, if not agree with the rest of it.
Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
You did not mention how much your wife needs to bring in to help with the finances.

Childcare is one of the better at home jobs,in my opinon for the ladiy that loves children.  My wife and I had a home daycare for 13 years.  The little buggers kept bringing in viruses and germs making me sick.  Then my wife took care of 2 children at their home for 5 years, until they moved out of town.  Here you can care for one family without a license.  Different states have different laws, ogf course.

Now she takes care of a 94 year old lady that needs some help around her house part time, 74 hours per month.

Elderly care is getting to be needed very much.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »
No, she has no degrees, and if it helps shes 23 years old.

Dude, it's been what, five years since she got out of high school?  This is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.  Get her some education.  Health care is the field with the quickest route from training->employment w/ benefits. 

Home daycare can be great or a regulatory nightmare.  More than one person strongly advised me against it.  Burnout is high for in-home care, especially with no help.  For a larger operation with some help, you need some capital.  Actually, in some states you need some capital just to get licensed.  Dunno about Florida.

(And SS, he didn't mention what his wife was concerned about, he mentioned what he was concerned.  I calls 'em as I sees 'em.  Get over it.)

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »
Lacoochee, I appreciate the compliment and I second your call for blessings.+

(And SS, he didn't mention what his wife was concerned about, he mentioned what he was concerned.  I calls 'em as I sees 'em.  Get over it.)

Yep, no problem with you calling it as you see it-I'm doing the same, and that includes calling you on criticizing Avalanche where I think you are not giving the situation a good look-see.

Nothing to get over-just a pretty straightforward disagreement.  I think the man's concerns are respectable based on what he's told us-concern for what others might be concerned with is part of having family, imho.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 04:12:38 PM »
Yep, no problem with you calling it as you see it-I'm doing the same, and that includes calling you on criticizing Avalanche where I think you are not giving the situation a good look-see.

Well, good on you.  You've got lots and lots of credibility in this area.

Avalanche2082

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 05:00:12 PM »
Thanks, for those who have agreed with my concerns. I live in a high crime area and she likes being home and I have lost a lot of loved ones, and my wife is all I have left, our relationship is stronger than anything I'm just concerned for her safety I do not want something to happen to her. She and I would really like for her to do something at home our house would not be big enough for a home daycare. I am looking for her to make maybe $300-$400 a month or maybe you all may have some suggestionson a job we can do as a couple, together? We have no children also so we are up for almost anything. Thank you so much.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 05:33:03 PM »
My DIL is a nanny for the two children of a couple of doctors.  She works at their home.

Check with home care nursing companies.  They are always looking for competent folks to help in home caring older people or the infirm.  If she has a heart for nursing, some of these companies will also spring for help with schooling toward LPN or RN or other associated medical skill sets that can be gotten through trade schools.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
Get her some education.  Health care is the field with the quickest route from training->employment w/ benefits.

Quoted for truth.

My sister, a rather irrational, unstable and physically/psycologically unattractive person NEVER lacks for work due to her training and skills in geriatric nursing.

My other problem is I don't want her to be working where there will be other men looking at her all day...

Dude, it is GONNA happen.  99.9999% is just that.  Looking.  It is in the genes.  Even if her male coworkers respect your wife for her skills and like her as a person, they are gonna look. Fact of life.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 07:12:45 PM »
Even if her male coworkers respect your wife for her skills and like her as a person, they are gonna look
If she is good looking, when she steps out of the house, they are gonna look.

Careing for the elderly can range anywhere from less than minimum wage, even if it shouldn't, to whatever the traffic can bear.  It can be for a few hours or full time, depending on what is needed.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 07:25:55 PM »
Even if her male coworkers respect your wife for her skills and like her as a person, they are gonna look. Fact of life.

Not knowing either of you, and being a rather enlightened male, I'd still check her out.  Unless she gets a job in a cemetary, that's just the way it is.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 08:07:41 PM »
I live in a high crime area and she likes being home and I have lost a lot of loved ones

I don't know where you live but if you are in danger of losing your job or losing hours maybe it is time you think about relocating to a better area and start looking for a better job yourself.  Don't listen to all the naysayers saying the economy is tanking.  It is in some parts of the country and in others things are growng by leaps and bounds.

I would also second the ideas of your wife getting some additional education.  My wife went to school on nothing but grants, didn't cost us anything out of pocket.  The financial aid is out there, you just have to apply for it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »
Even if her male coworkers respect your wife for her skills and like her as a person, they are gonna look. Fact of life.

Not knowing either of you, and being a rather enlightened male, I'd still check her out.  Unless she gets a job in a cemetary, that's just the way it is.

How does "I'll check out with my eyes any woman, married or not" equal enlightened?  And why are those folks who reject this notion required to accept such a state of affairs as "just the way it is"?