Author Topic: Civil unrest?  (Read 16921 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Civil unrest?
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm not remotely an alarmist.  I'm not remotely a survivalist.  I'm intentionally less than cautious about daily risks because I've made the assessment about what I want to worry about, and random violence isn't usually on the list.

But the blank hostility, the vandalizing political signs (including having our McCain-Palin sticker ripped off our car the other night), the talk of taking to the streets, have me concerned.

East Lansing is famous for its riots.  Generally, they follow big football games and are confined to East Lansing.  East Lansing is pretty solidly Dem.  Lansing is very mixed, in every way, including politically.  Some of our neighbors have become openly hostile to us.

I am not kidding at all, several of my profs and colleagues have mentioned being ready to take to the streets.

Good time for an evening out of town?  Head up to a smaller, less volatile town a ways off?  Stay home and make sure firearms are in their proper, handy places?  Get over it, and realize that talk is cheap and everything will be ok, at least in the immediate sense? 

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
Re: Civil unrest?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »
I know how you feel.  One side in particular seems to be very emotionally invested.  I had a student call me a racist because: 1) I support McCain (voting against Obama automatically brands you a racist) and 2) I must be a Republican if I'm voting for McCain and thus a racist because "all Republicans are racist."

I am particularly concerned about what will happen if McCain pulls an upset.  People are extremely invested and I'm already hearing talk that if Obama somehow loses it will be because it was stolen it from him.  I'm concerned about possible violence and riots should Obama lose.  Further, I've heard some NPR and black radio talk shows where there was talk of just that.

I live in Baltimore's Jewish community.  Like in many other cities, the Orthodox community is in a very diverse area, and not a very affluent area.  The area is primarily either Orthodox Jews or blacks.  There is already a lot of tension between the communities, and there have been several acts of violence over the past few years directed at the Orthodox community.  I guarantee that as the polls close I will have a loaded handgun on my person, a shotgun nearby and an AR or my .45LC Win 94 with me.  I'll also insist that my roommate go with me to the range tomorrow (he hasn't gone with me in a couple years) to see if he is up to having him hold onto a loaded revolver or carbine (the Win 94) to back me up.  I will be prepared and I don't blame you if you do the same- be well armed or get a hotel somewhere for the night.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:05:56 PM »
We're fortunate in that we live in a small rural community in Oregon, about an hour and a half south of Portland.  It's a fairly conservative area, although, it has it's share of Obama signs.  I've heard no local rumblings of discontent, no rumors of "taking it to the street" if a certain favored candidate should lose.  I suspect that sort of behavior would be met with a pretty strong push back were it to occur here.
The most likely place for civil unrest post-election is the Portland area.  I'm glad I don't live up that way anymore.

And long time, no hear chaim.  Good to have you back.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:08:09 PM »
Yep I'm throwing a gun in my truck tomorrow. I'm working late than going out for a going away party afterwards. By that time the results should be out and well..... Fill in the blanks.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
I'm a bit East of Rocketman, and likewise, I have no particular worry. Were any discontented people inclined to cause a ruckus over the election, I expect they'd have a very bad day, indeed. I do expect quite a lot of whinging from one city councilor in particular, as well as my boss, should McCain pull off a win.
Hi.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »
I agree with BW's statement that talk is cheap.  I certainly have no concerns up here in the Seattle area, and I tend to doubt if there is going to be something along the scale of the Watts or Chicago riots pretty much anywhere.  Every national election stirs up partisan feelings and comments and many people tend to be somewhat dramatic in their predictions and assessments. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
I'm in a fairly conservative area, but it's a college town.  

Limited violence is possible, but not likely. I'd give it about a 10% chance of happening here IF there is wide scale rioting elsewhere, and most of it will probably be confined to student neighborhoods or campus (which, unfortunately, I live in/near, being a student myself).  Otherwise, I doubt the hippies here would be brave enough to "lead the way" for the rest of the nation.  They know damn well how many households in this town own guns.

Also doesn't help them any that the police/sheriff's station and the national guard facilities are right next to campus, as is the cemetery.  Pretty convenient.   :angel:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »
I also live in a college town. I would expect a lot of yelling students and probably some limited graffiti / broken window / vandalized car (especially with McCain sticker) type vandalism. I have to say I am expecting to hear of at least  some limited rioting ala Rodney King from some of the bigger metro centers that are prone to such.

I would guess a lot of this will be predicated on how big (or probably more precisely, how slim) of a win McCain pulls off if he does win. Liberals around here still say that Bush stole two elections, not just the one with Gore, so anything but a big win will be looked at as a "stolen election".

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
I will stay home, but be well-armed and take the time to load up my usually-unloaded firearms with social ammunition.  Given how Obama's demographic responds to both good news (team wins national sports title: riots) and bad news (Rodney King: riots), assuming riots and mass violence is not some whacked out idea out of left field.  IOW, prudence is not paranoia. 

I don't know your particular circumstances, but unless you are in a pit of a violence-prone neighborhood already, being out & about on such a night is not my first choice.  Unless you are going to the home of friends/family useful in a fight.

There aren't that many riots that can not be curbed by two well-armed citizens willing to put lead in the center of mass of individual rioters.  Remember, all these riot/demonstrator confrontations that carry on for a while and get LEOs hurt hinge on one thing: the LEOs not willing to just shoot the silly bastards.  They disperse quite nicely in the face of determined, armed folks willing to shoot in self-defense to keep from being injured.  Kent State comes to mind, as well as the Korean shop keepers from the LA RK riots.

I would not wait until they are in my home before I opened, that's for sure.  And once I opened up, a high rate of well-aimed fire would be my course of action until the threat is gone.

Most academics are pathetically useless when it comes to action.  I doubt you'd have to worry about any of them doing anything more than talking.  But, if they get caught up in a riot and damage people & property, they ought to get COM, too.

To give you a hint of my "always" state of preparedness and what I will do different for Tuesday, here is a look-see:

Always
2 Quick access safes (his & hers) with the following (all loaded):
(his)
SW1911 .45ACP & extra mag
Taurus .357mag snubby & extra Bianchi Speed Strip
Kel-Tec  P40 .40S&W
(hers)
Kel-Tec P32 .32ACP
Springfield Armory Ultra Compact LtWt 1911 9mm & extra mag
LED light handy

Different for Election
SW1911: Load up my other two mags, place in my competition dual mag holder
SAUCLW1911: Load up other two mags for Wife's 1911, place in wife's off-side belly-band pouch
Rem 1100 12ga 18"bbl, +2mag tube: Load cruiser-ready with 000 buckshot
Wife's Rossi 1892 .44mag carbine: Load with my light cowboy loads (240gr LSWC) & keep coffee can of reloads up on a shelf, handy
96/38 Swede Mauser: Load up all remaining 6.5x55 into stripper clips (60-80 rounds).  I can shoot and load this bolt-gun REAL fast and make good hits, if I need to go beyond the 25 yards I would limit the Rem 1100 with buckshot to as a max range.
All flashlights get fresh batteries
Fire extinguisher checked (this PM) and made handy

If things get frisky, toddlers and dog go in back bathroom while mom & dad take care of business.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »
Well, our first stop of choice on a route away from population centers is at a place that is defensively advantageous. 

Our usual defense setup is less than optimal.  870 in the bedroom closet, #4 shot nearby, not loaded.  9mm. in the closet, mag in, no round in the chamber.  The rifles are in the basement, bolts stored separately.  My shotgun is usually case, ready to head out to the range.  I'm thinking we might just get a shotgun by each door, and load 'em.  I often carry the pistol in the house when I'm home alone with kiddo, but with one pistol for two adults, we're probably better off not having on one hip. 

Dunno.

Yeah, academics are mostly not to worry about.  Undergrads get out of control easily, but stick near campus.  My concern is run of the mill student rioting turning into widespread violence.  Lotta unhappy people here.  I can easily see a particular road about two miles from us being the center of serious looting and pillaging.  But two miles is a long way as these things go. 

Of course, my husband has a class downtown until 8. 

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 10:24:53 PM »
Reno is a collage town, but it is not the collage students I worry about.  We have had a large number of Blacks moving in from kalifornia.  I have to work that night and I am going prepared.  I will have the radio on all nigh and my wife is to call me on my cell if she hears anything.  I will be starting work at midnight, so, we may or may not know what the out come is and what is going on.  If there is rioting going on is town, I will not go in.  I have to stay home and protect my family.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 12:29:15 AM »
This is sad.  Not that a Black man is poised to win the election, but that we have reason to believe there will be violence, either way.   =(

To paraphrase Mr. Parker, from Way of the Gun, "Historical baggage is the ultimate monkey." 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:35:54 AM by Mr. Tactical pants »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:20:08 AM »
Every time I begin to dislike where I live something like this comes around and makes me glad I live in the UP.
Look, tiny text!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 02:53:10 AM »
Well, I can't find crap as far as magazines, but I know where all the ammo is...

I guess if I can't stop the hordes of marauding slackers with single shots from a .308, I'll have to hope that my neighbors in Cat Whiz have some .30-30s...

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 05:09:03 AM »
I'm thinking we might just get a shotgun by each door, and load 'em.

IMO, if someone kicks in the door, you just gave them a free shotgun to pick up and use against you. Right there for them to grab.

I would keep them in a closet or elsewhere where you can grab them, but NOT by the door.

This is sad.  Not that a Black man is poised to win the election, but that we have reason to believe there will be violence, either way.   =(

To paraphrase Mr. Parker, from Way of the Gun, "Historical baggage is the ultimate monkey." 

Yeah, well, I was born in Miami, I remember the Overtown riots. Call me un-PC for realizing that when sh__ happens, it usually starts in urban areas of a certain culture and income level, and that if you live near one, it's wise to be prudent in defense.

Go watch the videos of the truck driver in LA being pulled out of his truck, beaten, hit in the head with a brick, and then the guy who did that strutting off laughing.

History is not baggage. History is that which, if you do not learn from it, you are doomed to repeat. And that includes not being ready for riots. They happen.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 07:45:21 AM »
Tomorrow I will carry all day.  Wed I will, as well.  I've got a loaded shotgun in the house, and will be loading my SKS and keeping about 120 rounds for it handy.  I'm not too worried here where I live, but consider that if the Messiah actually loses, his supporters may decide that thier idea of a revolution involves taking conservatives out and beating them to death.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:06:29 AM »
History is not baggage. History is that which, if you do not learn from it, you are doomed to repeat. And that includes not being ready for riots. They happen.

I said "we have reason to believe there will be violence."  In other words, I agree that riots are a distinct possibility.  The historical baggage I spoke of was the history of racial problems in the country, to include the way Black progress has been squandered with left-wing bitterness and welfare-state dependency, in the decades since the MLK era. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »

I said "we have reason to believe there will be violence."  In other words, I agree that riots are a distinct possibility.  The historical baggage I spoke of was the history of racial problems in the country, to include the way Black progress has been squandered with left-wing bitterness and welfare-state dependency, in the decades since the MLK era. 

Oh, okay. I misunderstood. I agree with that.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 09:27:11 AM »
If the coyotes start rioting (I'm sure most of them are Democrats  :laugh: ), I'll be ready ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »
I've got a loaded shotgun in the house, and will be loading my SKS and keeping about 120 rounds for it handy.  I'm not too worried here where I live,

Only 120 rounds?

I've got nearly 400 rds for my AR-15, about 200 rds (and some components...about 200 rds worth) of .30-30, 200 or so rounds of buck and slugs for the shotgun, 120 rds of .38Spcl, and 60 rds or so for the Mosin-Nagant, plus about 1500 rds of .22LR, and I'm still feeling severely understocked.

Not only do I have to defend the home, but I may have to get friends and family out of the more populated areas...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 09:50:53 AM »
Only 120 rounds?

I've got nearly 400 rds for my AR-15, about 200 rds (and some components...about 200 rds worth) of .30-30, 200 or so rounds of buck and slugs for the shotgun, 120 rds of .38Spcl, and 60 rds or so for the Mosin-Nagant, plus about 1500 rds of .22LR, and I'm still feeling severely understocked.

Not only do I have to defend the home, but I may have to get friends and family out of the more populated areas...

Okay. Timeout.

There might be some riots, but it is NOT going to be World War III or the zombie hordes. Chill. :)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
Only 400 rounds for your AR-15?

I've got nearly 400 rounds in magazines, and another 750+ on strippers in bandoliers, and maybe another 500 in boxes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »
NO.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:58:43 AM by Mike Irwin »
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 09:58:53 AM »
Redacted to remove quoted text.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:59:14 AM by Mike Irwin »

Iain

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 10:00:01 AM »
Okay. Timeout.

There might be some riots, but it is NOT going to be World War III or the zombie hordes. Chill. :)

And that's how you know you've gone way too far.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also