Author Topic: Civil unrest?  (Read 16920 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Civil unrest?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »
Okay. Timeout.

There might be some riots, but it is NOT going to be World War III or the zombie hordes. Chill. :)

I'm not the world's greatest shot.

Need more ammo. Plus, I am anticipating increased taxes on ammo should Obama win.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
I'm not the world's greatest shot.

Then in all seriousness, it's your responsibility to go to the range more or get an instructor.

As mine told me, "You own the consequences of every missed shot. It doesn't stop when it misses."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:37 AM »
Both of the evil rifles (M14 and AR-15) will be charged, as well as the "misunderstood" rifle (Camp 45).  Magazines loaded.  1911 on hip.  Probably about 400 rounds total in mags, though if I need to pull the trigger that much then I've got serious, serious problems.  Frankly, my neighborhood is pretty conservative going by the yard signs.

Watching something other than election coverage on TV... hopefully a good movie or a TV series on DVD.  I don't want to know until Wednesday, though I hope that doubt and confusion reign supreme for at least a week, and absolutely every vote gets counted.

Then, off to Home Depot for PVC and plumber's glue, and a trip to a couple nice places in the mountains that I like.  Nothing fancy getting mothballed, just a couple Mosins.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 10:06:30 AM »
Y'know, that's the kind of comment that gets taken out of context and reposted on places like Kos. :P

I suppose.

But if they can't see the satire, (or the "Full Metal Jacket" reference) screw 'em.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »
Only 120 rounds?

I've got nearly 400 rds for my AR-15, about 200 rds (and some components...about 200 rds worth) of .30-30, 200 or so rounds of buck and slugs for the shotgun, 120 rds of .38Spcl, and 60 rds or so for the Mosin-Nagant, plus about 1500 rds of .22LR, and I'm still feeling severely understocked.

Not only do I have to defend the home, but I may have to get friends and family out of the more populated areas...

That's about what I have on stripper clips.  I might have about 300 rounds of 7.62x39 total.
About 50 rounds for the shotgun ready to go.  If I can get out later today I'll probably buy more rounds for the shotgun, as its my numero uno HD choice. 
I just don't see any scenerio where I need that much.  Maybe I might need to fend off some rioters or looters, but I'm not that close to the inner city where the worst of any civil unrest would be. 
Even in large numbers, most people aren't going to stay there when thier fellow rioters start dying.  If the crowd is that big and I have to just open fire, I just don't see them sticking around for me to expend 400+ rounds of ammo. 

If we're going to be on the move, a light load out will help me get my family out faster.  Handguns, shotgun and SKS would go with, everything else would get hidden in the house if there is time.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
Still pretty Republican here, so likely no issues. I would not want to be near Roxbury, Dorchester or Mattapan, or Lowell or Lawrence either, all of those in MA. Those could burn, depending.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 10:31:47 AM »
And that's how you know you've gone way too far.

400 rounds for an AR-15 is NOT too far.

Now if he has them all IN MAGAZINES...
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »
if they can't see the satire

They don't want to see satire.
They want to see a reason to shut this place down.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 10:39:49 AM »

There is such a thing as too far when it comes to ammo for small arms.... but it's well beyond most folks' financial means or willingness to accomplish.

You could have a million rounds of ammo and be just fine.

400 in mags is a reasonable amount to use to defend your home or neighborhood.  I could see even a thousand rounds in mags or more as reasonable for static defense.

Not everything can be solved by a pistol and and old shotgun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008, 10:41:20 AM »
What I mean to say is that a can of 5.56 ammo is around 1000 rounds, and it's easy to buy and have one around.

But loading all of it into mag may or may not be OTT.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »
What I mean to say is that a can of 5.56 ammo is around 1000 rounds, and it's easy to buy and have one around.

Well, it used to be. Now it's about $350-$400.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 10:51:14 AM »

But loading all of it into mag may or may not be OTT.

OTT = Over the top?

Gun owners really need to be careful with accusations of anything being over the top.  That's how 50BMG's get taken away, or handguns, or concealed permits, or silencers, or machine guns, or AP ammo, or "destructive devices."

Guns exist to provide for safety, self determination and liberty.

1000 rounds in mags?  Not OTT IMO.  Quite sane if your intent is never to surrender your home in the event of a concerted effort to take it from you, and sound strategies in place to keep that home secure.

OTT implies that doing so is dangerous.  How much more dangerous is a man with 1000 rounds in mags, than a man with 200 rounds in mags?
--Lysander Spooner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:28 AM »
I just don't keep mags loaded because I'm afraid of killing the springs. :)

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »
It's not the tension that deteriorates springs, it's the cycling thereof.

OTT implies that doing so is dangerous.

Methinks the complaint isn't that it's dangerous, it's that one faces diminishing returns on expanding the investment. If 1000 rounds isn't enough, you're probably doing it wrong. Remember: if you're expending that much, someone is doing the same to you - and odds are you're just not gonna make it through being on the receiving end of that much fire.

Don't get me wrong: having lots around is fine, esp. as it's a consumable, shelf stable, and will only rise in value. But at $400/case, it's the particular application that indicates spending the money & resources elsewhere after some point.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »

I wish I could afford enough mags to put 400 rounds into.

You better watch it with calling that "over the top". There are people who buy mags by the 100 count case.

I wish I could be one of them...

*Cries softly*

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
Gun owners really need to be careful with accusations of anything being over the top.  That's how 50BMG's get taken away, or handguns, or concealed permits, or silencers, or machine guns, or AP ammo, or "destructive devices."

First of all:

I support the eventual repeal of the NFA.

Second:

You have the right to purchase, say, an S-1000 Solothurn. Yet I also have the right to criticize your purchase of a 20mm semi-auto rifle as being, yes, OTT.

In no way does it make it 'too dangerous'. Rather, the added expense of effort and money is not worth the miniscule increase in comfort and safety.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
Well, some ammo I'm glad I bought when it was cheap.

Surplus SS109 for $150 a case. Ha.

And even more, the big black lunchboxes of GP-11 for $79 each for 480 rounds of match-grade 7.5x55 Swiss. Those are now almost $250.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »
I'm not too worried about riots.  Rioters and looters rarely drive to a more affluent area.  Usually the just trash where they live.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »
I'm not too worried about riots.  Rioters and looters rarely drive to a more affluent area.  Usually the just trash where they live.

This is true.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »
I'm not so much worried about looters & rioters where I live, but I live close enough to the "Obama-nation" that I'll keep my SMLE loaded with FMJ....worked well for British "riot control"....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
It's not the tension that deteriorates springs, it's the cycling thereof.
I thought keeping 'em consistently loaded could mangle the feed lips - at least on AR mags. The PMAGs come with a dust cover to avoid that.

I highly doubt that there'll be any looters here. Sure, we've got enough minority folks, but this is a dry county. Smart rioters go where there's liquor stores to be robbed.  =D

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »
I'm not so much worried about looters & rioters where I live, but I live close enough to the "Obama-nation" that I'll keep my SMLE loaded with FMJ....worked well for British "riot control"....

There was a very amusing video from India of how the people in the villages near disputed areas defend themselves. Amusing in a good, smile-inducing way. When asked what she would do if jihadists came to her village, one elderly grandmother sort, carrying an SMLE like she knew exactly what she was doing with it, proceeded to rapid-fire ring one gong after another at pretty damned distant ranges. Know how when someone reallllly knows an SMLE, their working of the bolt is almost a blur? That's what she was doing. It was like "Go granny!" :lol:

That would be an unpleasant surprise for any AK-waving jihadists. .303 from someone who knows what they're doing is nothing to look down at!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »
I'm just west of Chicago, you know where Obama will be holding his rally.  News of his defeat could turn this "celebration" into a riot. 

I'll be ready.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »
I suppose.

But if they can't see the satire, (or the "Full Metal Jacket" reference) screw 'em.

I missed a FMJ reference along the way?  TANJ.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2008, 12:32:02 PM »
Funny thing, a week ago yesterday, I made it over to my storage facility and brought home a few of my more tactical rifles, the magazines to go along with them, and all of my ammo. The magazines have subsequently been loaded and stowed for future use.  In addition, all of my handguns are ready to "rock & roll". While I live on the outskirts of a smallish Texas town, I don't expect much of a problem. However, one NEVER knows. We have a fairly large "minority" population here and they've been known to become a little "rabid" in the past.

All in all, it IS a sad state of affairs to even need to contemplate the idea of riots just because of an election.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum