Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 14923 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »
Cougar- where Iain said. Ft. Mercer,  Rio Bravo, Plainview area.

I'm up there right now searching for specific plants and can't walk 20 feet without a cougar attack.
Dusk/Night is the best time to encounter them. Have a full load of medicine before going after cougar... you'll need it.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Iain

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2010, 06:22:56 AM »
Full load of medicine and full load of horse pills and try and stay on the horse. Take Dead Eye refillers as well, because killing animals doesn't refill it. Trot through on your horse and wait for the cougar growl, think the horses tend to notify you of nearby dangers too. Buy an improved campsite and use it to save and get home quickly. Really annoying collecting a grands worth of animal bits and then getting mauled.

There's an area just north west of the ranch. by the railroad tracks, that seems interesting hunting wise. Marked as boar on the map, but every time I go there I get a lot of something. Hawks everywhere at one point, decent money in hawk feathers. There was that time though when the twentieth wolf was one wolf too many.

You guys been in multiplayer yet? Was in there last night, there were two other people in free roam. Hunted one of them down and killed him twice and he left. An APS posse of three might be fun some time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:29:22 AM by Iain »
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 06:34:14 AM »
Keep your back to a rock outcropping...that way the cougar can only approach from one direction. They are so insanely fast in-game.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:06 AM »
Yeah finding cougars isn't hard. Surviving them, not so much....   :laugh:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Iain

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »
If you do the first mission with the snake oil salesman you get upgraded Dead Eye. That allows you to paint several shots and then fire them in quick succession. Yet to meet a cougar that can survive 6 to the forehead.

When they are running the drop dead and tumble at speed that the cougar does after said 6 to the forehead is impressively realistic-y.

A trip into free roam and up to Tall Trees is in order later. Want to meet a bear. It'll probably go over all Timothy Treadwell, but it'll be fun.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »
I think I'm going to need to figure out how the dead eye dealie works. Sadly, I'll be packing up the Xbox today for the move.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »
Sounds like fun. No console . . . hope they port it to PC sometime soon.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
I should look to see if the first two games are on PC...
Usually if a game is on Xbox it'll eventually make it to PC.  One of the reasons a friend of mine only has a PS3 and refuses to get an Xbox.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »

Yep, I find myself hating my Xbox360 though my little brother (the only reason I have one) loves it.  Any game I buy for me will be on the PC.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »
Spent a bit of time on the multiplayer this evening. Free roam is a fair bit of fun with a posse, I joined up with a couple of teenagers who squabbled like an old couple. Quick way to level up too. Take on Mercer's Fort a half dozen times and you'll no longer be riding a mule.

The death match is fun too, not a quick way to level up.

My PSN name is adonai_bezek if anyone wants to add me for RDR fun.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:06:03 PM by Iain »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
Damn moving truck broke down on its way here and we had to push the move back a day.  Took the TV and Xbox back out of the boxes  :laugh:

Played till 0100 last night.  Figured out dead eye and used it to kill about 7 of those stupid cougars.  I still can't figure out why if you start shooting at one cougar, more start showing up.  Something in the software encourages it to produce more animals of the same kind in the area...pretty much I go up hill from the ranch and there is a knob at the intersection of the tracks.  Stand on the knob and its a free for all.  Built up a war chest of over a grand so far.  Plan on saving some more jack and then upgrading the horse, etc.
JD

Iain

• friend
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2010, 06:03:34 PM »
Yep was about to talk about that area between there and the railroad bridge across to Tall Trees by the waterfall.

Spent about half an hour there earlier and killed over 30 wolves. Seen a pack with over 10 animals. Took out 7 with one Dead Eye.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:07:09 PM by Iain »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2010, 07:14:51 AM »
Yeah now that I've got animal killing down its not too hard.   :cool:
JD

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2010, 01:59:34 AM »
Lately I've just been playing the in-game poker. Texas Hold 'Em is such a great game to begin with but in this one you can play a tiny little challenge and deal yourself an extra card off the bottom of the deck. Makes the game even more interesting...

taurusowner

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2010, 03:47:25 AM »
You may have already figured this out, but if you ride your horse over the body of a killed animal and skin it while your horse is standing on top, the game will skip over the skinning animation and just give you the animal parts.  Makes hunting a little quicker.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »
A note for hunters - bison do not respawn apparently. I killed all but one Cody-style on my first visit to the Plains and now he just wanders around on his own.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2010, 08:02:50 AM »
should have left a heifer. :angel:

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Have y'all run into the "Just one more box of dynamite" random encounter?
Lol.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2010, 10:29:42 PM »
Since you've probably heard the dialogue by now...

Irish: "God made whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world".

and

John: "How are you feelin', Irish?"
Irish:" Oh, I'm between fair and middlin', Johnny-boy."
John: " You're going to feel between dead and dyin' if you cross me again"
/grin/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31:15 AM »
Irish: "God made whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world".

From the movie Crossfire Trail.

Probably predates the movie, but it's the first I'd heard it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »
Played from 2300-0230 last night :)

Need to kill 3 more wolves with a knife.  Where can I hunt wolves where there probably won't be cougars?  I was slashing and stabbing and had a pile of dead wolves and here comes a *expletive deleted*ing cougar while my health was depleted by fighting wolves. 
Got my lasso.  Yeah fun, you get to hogtie people.  Been trying to hogtie a deer but that hasn't been successful  :laugh:
JD

Iain

• friend
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »
Played from 2300-0230 last night :)

Need to kill 3 more wolves with a knife.  Where can I hunt wolves where there probably won't be cougars?  I was slashing and stabbing and had a pile of dead wolves and here comes a *expletive deleted* cougar while my health was depleted by fighting wolves. 
Got my lasso.  Yeah fun, you get to hogtie people.  Been trying to hogtie a deer but that hasn't been successful  :laugh:

You can go deer surfing, just lasso one and jump off your horse.

For wolves, not always guaranteed but the area to the north of the ranch, heading across to the railway crossing into Tall Trees, is usually fairly productive and tends to be light on the cougars.

Finished the game, played a bit of multiplayer which is fun in Free Roam posse mode, but I suck at fighting other human players.

Made over $2000 on one hunting spree largely within the confines of my own land (in the last unlocked area for those who haven't got that far) Wolf after wolf after wolf.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
Been playing mutli player.  Just totally pwn3d a 5 member posse in Armadillo for half an hour. They were so pissed that they accused me of cheating and kicked me  ;/  Nevermind that before they showed up, I was getting my rump kicked by some guy at about a 4 to 1 ratio.  And, while I was killing them, he killed me half a dozen times probably still. 
JD

Iain

• friend
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 05:26:04 PM »
Finished the single player Jamis?

Looks like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood will be the next purchase. Multiplayer sneak hack and slash.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »
Haven't yet. Might finish the multiplayer out over the next weekend, wife's going to be gone for 5 days.
JD