Author Topic: Evolution?  (Read 9293 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Evolution?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 04:04:45 PM »
I reject the contention that somehow religion and science are at the opposite ends of a psychological/theological spectrum.

Thank you.

I personally don't see what the big deal about the Big Bang leading into evolution of our universe, and eventually life, is.  After all, God has forever, so why rush it?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 05:47:46 PM »
It seems to me that the bulk of the arguments against evolution can't possibly cope with DNA.  We are quite literally made by genetic material that's 99% identical to our cousins the chimps.  It's a little less close to gorillas and further still from other apes.  If humans were really sui generis creations, apart from all other life forms, we would have a completely different makeup and show no relationship to other living things.  But that's not the way it is.

That does not follow. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 06:00:29 PM »
So far, this thread has been fascinating for me (and, I hope, others) to read.

Please don't get into the "my belief can beat up your belief" mode.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 07:19:55 PM »
So far, this thread has been fascinating for me (and, I hope, others) to read.

Please don't get into the "my belief can beat up your belief" mode.

Huh?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »
Eleven Mike, I'm asking people not to get into regilious wars, i.e."my evoltion theory can beat up on your God."

That's about it.

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »
Well, I just got off work. I'm a bit tired and in need of an ale or two, so I hope you all don't mind if I postpone any answers in a thread as serious as this until tomorrow. smiley

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 01:38:30 AM »
Until college, I believed pretty much what I was taught in church and Sunday school (Protestant faith). In a senior physics seminar, the department head got on about mass and energy being interchangable and indestructible. When I asked "Where did it begin then?" he answered simply "God made it." This theoretical physicist actually sparked a train of thought that I've been wrestling with for over 40 years now. On my own, as that year marked the beginning of the demise of my faith in organized churches. But not my faith in God.

I see no conflict between unprovable faith in a supreme being and the observable fact that life does evolve in accordance with a lot of laws we don't completely understand. Recently, my thoughts regarding creation vs. evolution have focused more on the rules of life than the physical aspects. i.e., the software of life instead of the hardware.

Who wrote the laws that result in instincts, like a mother's love, or fight/flight?

Where did original intelligent thought come from?

Who created the law that says 2+2=4?

Why gravity?

Where did pollen originate?  grin

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2007, 01:51:55 AM »
The theory of evolution says that the universe was created when all of the matter in the universe compressed into a small dot and then exploded and created the universe. To me this is a much greater statement of "Faith" than believing that an intelligent Creator created the universe. To challenge this beginning to the theory I would ask several basic questions:

# Where did the space for the universe come from?
# Where did matter come from?
# Where did the laws of the universe come from (gravity, inertia, etc.)?
# How did matter get so perfectly organized?
# Where did the energy come from to do all the organizing?
# When, where, why, and how did life come from non-living matter?
# When, where, why, and how did life learn to reproduce itself?
# With what did the first cell capable of sexual reproduction reproduce?

There are many more but for the sake of brevity and being able to carry on a conversation I would shorten it to these right now.

Normally when I hear people discussing "the theory of evolution", they are just talking about the evolution of living organisms, not  the whole origin of the universe.

I'm also not sure why some religious people are so hostile to the Big Bang theory.  As far as I am aware, the Big Bang theory states (and there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest) that the whole of space was once compressed into a tiny point, which rapidly expanded.  Physicists are putting a lot of effort into working out what happened imediately after the Bing Bang, but it is at present impossible to know why happened before it (and so presumably why it happened), because time and space did not exist before then.

If you are religious, I don't see why the "what happened before and why" couldn't be "God".

Indeed, the Big Bang could simply have been what happened when God said "Let there be light".

On the other hand, as a geologist (or rather, someone with a degree in geology), I am convinced that all the evidence points to the Earth being around 4.5bn years old, and the diversity of life to be the result of evolution by natural selection.  (I could go into some of that evidence if you want, but not in this post).

It is also interesting that surveys of scientists' religious beliefs indicate that biologists (and I think geologists) are the least likely to be religious, while physicists are the most.

Kentucky

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2007, 05:40:23 AM »
I'm also not sure why some religious people are so hostile to the Big Bang theory.  As far as I am aware, the Big Bang theory states (and there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest) that the whole of space was once compressed into a tiny point, which rapidly expanded.  Physicists are putting a lot of effort into working out what happened imediately after the Bing Bang, but it is at present impossible to know why happened before it (and so presumably why it happened), because time and space did not exist before then.

It is also impossible to know that it happened. The theory of intelligent design says that in the beginning an all powerful, intelligent Creator created the universe and the laws that govern it. The evolution theory says that in the beginning dirt, acted upon by some unknown force, compressed the contents of the entire universe into a small dot "smaller than a period on a page" according to some textbooks. This dot then exploded and created the universe. (If this had really happened then we would see uniform distribution of the planets and stars, but it has been proven this is not correct. We would also be able to observe, using science, that all the planets and moons would be orbiting the same direction. Using science and our senses we observe that some of the orbit the opposite direction. Using real science we can debunk the big bang theory.)

Out of this random explosion of matter (whose existence cannot be explained) and energy (whose existence and guidance cannot be explained) the universe was formed, with all of it's complexity.

Which theory takes more faith? I cannot prove the existence of an intelligent Creator, but I can look around me and using science observe the effects of intelligent design. The evolution theory says that random matter with random energy created complex designs. This goes against the very laws of the universe, namely the Law of Entropy. The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that all things tend toward disorder. (Note since evolutionist have discovered this basic evidence against their faith there has been a frantic attempt to "rewrite" this Law. Using strictly science this cannot be done.) Has anyone on here ever seen anything that does not tend toward disorder unless acted upon by an outside force? (your yard, your kids room  grin , politicians are all good examples  grin ).

So we see that the evolutionary theory or faith contradicts the law of the universe, and any observable truths in science. Why then do people try so hard to use Evolution to explain the origins of the universe? This is also the answer to the question of why the big bang "is such a big deal". What you believe, or choose to believe, about the origins of the universe shape your world view. If you choose to believe that life is random happen chance of an explosion, and that we descended from animals, and that there is no existence beyond this world, then what laws of rules bind you in this world? There are no laws for morality, how you treat others, or how you act. This is exactly the reason that Evolution is so fervently supported by secular society, because it relieves them of any guilt associated with their actions.

If you believe there was an intelligent designer, then you have a natural urge to seek Him out. You also have a responsibility to obey the laws that are meant to govern mankind as a separate creature from animals and other "living things" on earth. This also explains the Creation of the laws written in the hearts and conscience of men, which allows you to know right from wrong, and tells a mother to love her new baby etc... This also explains the soul and emotions of man, which evolution has no answer for.

Now, I am not saying that everyone who believes in Evolution ACTS like animals and behaves that way. What I am saying is that a society which is taught that it came from monkeys, and has no obligation to answer to God for their existence or actions, will as a whole degenerate morally. This has been observed  in our own country the last 50 years. Evolution removes the restraints that bind us to act like human beings. You may choose not to murder your fellow human beings, and to be a "good" person but their is no reason to do so according to an evolutionary world view, and fewer and fewer people are choosing to hold themselves accountable.

Do you realize that Evolution is the justification for abortion? The murdering of millions of babies every year is justified by saying that they havent "evolved" into a human being until they exit the womb. (This has to be the most disgusting, vile, and thinly veiled lie to ever have such a drastic effect in our country). Adolf Hitler use evolution to justify his extermination of the Jews, claiming that they had not evolved as far as the pure Aryan race and were not really human anyway.

These reason this is such of a big deal, is because it has such a far reaching effect upon our societies.

A critic of the big bang theory, Ernst Peter Fischer, a physicist and biologist of Constance, Germany, reflects on its popularity. He refers to the:

& warning given by [physicist and philosopher] Carl Friedrich von Weizsäcker & namely that a society which accepts the idea that the origin of the cosmos could be explained in terms of an explosion, reveals more about the society itself than about the universe. Nevertheless, the many observations made during the past 25 years or so which contradict the standard model, are simply ignored. When fact and theory contradict each other, one of them has to yield.

On the other hand, as a geologist (or rather, someone with a degree in geology), I am convinced that all the evidence points to the Earth being around 4.5bn years old, and the diversity of life to be the result of evolution by natural selection.  (I could go into some of that evidence if you want, but not in this post).

Lets do go over these evidences, as I am not aware of any dating methods that have not proven to be unreliable.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2007, 05:50:50 AM »
"Lets do go over these evidences, as I am not aware of any dating methods that have not proven to be unreliable."

OK.

Just as a correlary though, what gives you the background to judge the validity of these dating methods?

What dating method do you propose in their place that is both more accurate and more reliable?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 06:16:25 AM »
That's the point Mike. Here we are embroiled in another conversation about pretty technical stuff, it does help to know exactly what background is behind many pronouncements.

Kentucky - to equate the idea that a foetus is not a living thing to the idea of evolution is something I've never heard. Frankly, it sound like an argument that only someone with a very vague and tenuous grasp of both abortion and evolution would make - where did you hear it?

Also, I'd be very careful about denouncing a theory based on the poor, and racist, grasp that some have had on it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 07:05:05 AM »
If god made the universe then who made god?

wacki

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2007, 07:10:28 AM »
I work in the biotech field.  I've created virii by cannibalizing spare parts from a dozen organisms.  If we wanted to create the same virus from complete scratch it could be done, just extremely expensive to execute.  If you consider viruses living organisms then have I created life?  I would think so.

Also, it's pretty easy to show evolution works.  A petri dish w/ growing media, a source of radiation to speed up the mutation rate (UV lamp), and some external 'natural' selector (say antibiotics) are all you need.  Entirely new species of bacteria and fungi can be evolved in a matter of days by repeatedly growing and then slaying populations of bacteria or fungi.  It's very simple and shockingly effective.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
wacki, you certainly were not creating life.  You were working with components of pre-existing life forms.  And notice that your laboratory evolution happened according to your intelligent design, not by accident.  And if it's so easy to create new species, why don't you go ahead and evolve some mammals or reptiles, or birds for us?  Or a fish, perhaps?  How far can you go with this "evolution"?

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2007, 07:23:27 AM »

For any monotheistic belief system of which I am aware, God exists necessarily.  He cannot be made, and it is impossible to imagine that he would not exist.  In other words, to a monotheist "God exists," is the most fundamental and irreducible fact. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2007, 07:34:37 AM »
Read Dawkins's "The Selfish Gene." Therein, among other things, he does a pretty good job of explaining the molecular replicator idea and gives references to experiments that show organic material can be spontaneously produced from inorganic material. I am not going to argue this point since Dawkins is a better writer then I am.

Ron, your argument about chaos is not fleshed out. If by chaos, you mean chaotic systems, e.g. fractals and chemical clocks, those are ordered and spontaneously so. If by chaos, you mean entropy, then you are flat wrong - open systems can experience increase in order at the expense of a concomitant change, e.g. energy exchange; the living body is a perfect example, crystallization is another. "Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"

The order in the universe ultimately comes from immutable physical laws that dictate how matter and energy interact. It might make some sense to believe that the divine manifests itself in those precepts, but the stance is experimentally indistinguishable from the materialistic one saying that the laws are blind and nonsentient.

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2007, 07:38:26 AM »
Kentucky, your quotes on the DNA thing are completely dated. That quote is from 1996. We have mapped the chimpanzee genome. Here's an article talking about it if you're interested:

New Genome Comparison Finds Chimps, Humans Very Similar at the DNA Level

Quote from: Mike Irwin
What dating method do you propose in their place that is both more accurate and more reliable?

I'm guessing the Be'Got system. Isaac begot Jacob, etc etc. angel

Quote from: Kentucky
I cannot prove the existence of an intelligent Creator, but I can look around me and using science observe the effects of intelligent design. The evolution theory says that random matter with random energy created complex designs. This goes against the very laws of the universe, namely the Law of Entropy. The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that all things tend toward disorder. (Note since evolutionist have discovered this basic evidence against their faith there has been a frantic attempt to "rewrite" this Law. Using strictly science this cannot be done.)

Quote from: Ron
The second law of thermodynamics is not suspended on earth because of the sun.

This is a very old, and very incorrect argument. It portrays a complete misunderstanding of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and as such there are many writings out there discussing the logical fallacies of using this argument from both proponents of the theory of evolution and its detractors. If you want to learn a little and don't mind reading:

The second law of thermodynamics and evolution.
Here's one from a church's website.

Quote from: Eleven Mike
wacki, you certainly were not creating life.  You were working with components of pre-existing life forms.

Synthetic Virus In Reach
We're getting there.

Quote from: Eleven Mike
  And notice that your laboratory evolution happened according to your intelligent design, not by accident.  And if it's so easy to create new species, why don't you go ahead and evolve some mammals or reptiles, or birds for us.  Or a fish, perhaps?  How far can you go with this "evolution"?

Evolution is not accidental. It is a natural process which produces things that reproduce efficiently in their environment.  It also takes time. A lot of it, for larger organisms!

For any monotheistic belief system of which I am aware, God exists necessarily.  He cannot be made, and it is impossible to imagine that he would not exist.  In other words, to a monotheist "God exists," is the most fundamental and irreducible fact.

And what is wrong with a naturalist replacing the universe in place of God in your statement?

This is exactly the reason that Evolution is so fervently supported by secular society, because it relieves them of any guilt associated with their actions.

Incorrect. Completely incorrect.

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2007, 07:55:26 AM »

Ok, so how is this "fact" (facts are usually provable with evidence) any different than the "fact" that the universe started in a big bang?

Here's something to lighten the mood in here a bit.

http://atheistdelusion.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

Kentucky

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2007, 07:56:44 AM »
Also, I'd be very careful about denouncing a theory based on the poor, and racist, grasp that some have had on it.

My point is that they grasped the significance behind evolution better than many do today. If we truly evolved in a random manner, and have no purpose beyond living until we die, then what is to prevent us from acting exactly as we want? And where do souls, emotions, and intellect come from?

In Mein Kampf, Hitler used the German word for evolution (Entwicklung) many times, citing "lower human types." He criticized the Jews for bringing "Negroes into the Rhineland" with the aim of "ruining the white race by the necessarily resulting ization." He spoke of "Monstrosities halfway between man and ape" and lamented the fact of Christians going to "Central Africa" to set up "Negro missions," resulting in the turning of "healthy . . . human beings into a rotten brood of s." In his chapter entitled "Nation and Race," he said, "The stronger must dominate and not blend with the weaker, thus sacrificing his own greatness. Only the born weakling can view this as cruel, but he, after all, is only a weak and limited man; for if this law did not prevail, any conceivable higher development (Hoherentwicklung) of organic living beings would be unthinkable." A few pages later, he said, "Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live."

The very origins of evolution are racist. Charles Darwin is widely regarded as being the father of modern evolution.
"From the Preservation of favored races in the struggle for life' [that is, Darwin 's subtitle to Origin of Species] it was a short step to the preservation of favored individuals, classes or nations - and from their preservation to their glorification . . . Thus, it has become a portmunteau of nationalism, imperialism, militarism, and dictatorship, of the cults of the hero, the superman, and the master race . . . recent expressions of this philosophy, such as Mein Kampf are, unhappily, too familiar to require exposition here." - Gertrude Himmelfarb, Social Darwinism in American Thought, 1962

This is what Darwin wrote, in his book,  The Descent of Man (1901, pp. 241-242)
At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate, and replace, the savage races throughout the world. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope, even as the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as now between a Negro or Australian [aborigine] and the gorilla.

H. Klaatsch, a prominent German evolutionist, concluded that human races differ not only because of survival factors, but also for the reason that they evolved from different primates. The Blacks came from the gorillas, the Whites from the chimpanzees, and the Orientals from the orangutans, and it is for this reason that some races are superior. He concluded that "the gorilla and the Neanderthal man" have a close biological affinity to "a large number of the living African blacks . . ."

Kentucky - to equate the idea that a foetus is not a living thing to the idea of evolution is something I've never heard. Frankly, it sound like an argument that only someone with a very vague and tenuous grasp of both abortion and evolution would make - where did you hear it?

Actually, I would argue that only someone who has no grasp of the history of either movement would argue otherwise.

Margaret Sanger is the founder of Planned Parenthood, the largest pro-abortion group in America. (And also the oldest I believe).

Planned Parenthood Federation of America (See Abortion section) was started by a racist, Margaret Sanger, who drew upon writings from socialists and eugenicists. She even published articles from Adolf Hitler's director of eugenic sterilization, Ernst Rudin, and spawned "The Negro Project," her strategy for eliminating the black population.[65] She believed in removing what she called "the dead weight of human waste." [59] In the last week of July 2002, a lawyer in Missouri filed a federal lawsuit against Planned Parenthood for their failure to fully inform women about abortion. The lawyer also agrued that Planned Parenthood is a racist organization that targets minority women.
The modern day abortion rights movement began as the American Birth Control League in 1921. Among its founding board members were Margaret Sanger, Lothrup Stoddard, and C. C. Little. The latter two people were known for their racist views, but Margaret Sanger continually shows up in the company of other racists. In fact, she was the guest speaker at a Ku Klux Klan rally in Silverlake, N. J. in 1926.

Robert N. Proctor (Racial Hygiene: Medicine Under the Nazis [1988]) observed: "Prior to Darwin, it was difficult to argue against the Judeo-Christian conception of the unity of man, based on the single creation of Adam and Eve. Darwin 's theory suggested that humans had evolved over hundreds of thousands, even millions of years, and that the races of men had diverged while adapting to the particularities of local conditions. The impact of Darwin's theory was enormous."

So, the Darwin was a racist. Margaret Sanger, who was a big fan of both Darwin and Hitler, was a racist. The roots of evolution are in racism, and it has been carried to it's logical conclusion by both Hitler and Sanger.

Alexander Sanger is the grandson of Margaret Sanger and Sanger is currently Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Population Fund and he also serves as chairman of The International Planned Parenthood Council.

But Sanger says that's the whole problem with the traditional pro-abortion argument. To rescue the pro-abortion movement from its dependence on deflated arguments, he points to evolutionary biology.

Here's how it works: "The new framework I am proposing is based on evolutionary biology. It is from a basis in science that reproductive rights emerge. This framework is not exclusive of a feminist or human framework. On the contrary, I will argue that understanding evolutionary biology and the role of reproductive control within it can lead to a stronger basis for the necessity of women's and human rights. I will argue that reproductive rights are beneficial to women, men, and families as they pursue their reproductive strategies."

In sum, Sanger wants to shift the debate from morality to biology. "In my view, the most compelling and honest way to do this is to justify abortion on a biological basis," he urges. "Abortion is, after all, a biological act. We can justify it as such."

Evolution is a KEY component of Eugenics, which is dedicated to removing the polluted blood of "lower races" from our society. I can supply quotes and history if needed.

On the subject of dating:

Just as a correlary though, what gives you the background to judge the validity of these dating methods?

I am not a scientist, nor do I hold a degree in any scientific field. I will endeavor to supply validation for any claim that I make though, including quotes and facts from well known and respected scientists of all fields.

As stated before, I am now aware of ANY dating method which reliably date objects over 10,000 years old. You seem who have a great deal of faith in some that can. I am simply asking that you supply some data to validate your claim that evolution is supported by dating and then we can examine that data to see if it holds up. If you have a degree in geology and I work in the log home industry, the advantage will obviously be yours!  grin

Finally, I do hope that everyone involved with this discussion will be able to remain calm and factual with our arguments. There is a tendency to become very emotionally involved when one's faith is questioned, and I am as guilty as anyone. If any of you feel that I have crossed a line at any time please let me know, I will strive to provide my data with a good attitude, and hope everyone agrees to do the same.

Kentucky

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2007, 08:09:27 AM »
Wow, I am never going to be able to keep up with everything that is being mentioned here.

Pew Pew Pew, please show me one example in nature of random matter meeting random energy and creating complex.......anything? The old analogy of a tornado coming through a junkyard and creating a 747 applies. It just aint gonna happen.

Another example, if I were to take a frog and put him in a blender it will de-animate him and reduce him to parts. Now, we already have ALL the DNA and components needed to create a frog in this blender, how long will I have to run the blender until the random energy in it re-creates the frog? If not the blender, what type of energy will need to be applied?

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2007, 08:13:30 AM »
Wow, only two pages and the thread gets goodwined, nice job Kentucky.

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2007, 08:15:07 AM »
Pew Pew Pew, please show me one example in nature of random matter meeting random energy and creating complex.......anything?

Snowflake.

Another example, if I were to take a frog and put him in a blender it will de-animate him and reduce him to parts. Now, we already have ALL the DNA and components needed to create a frog in this blender, how long will I have to run the blender until the random energy in it re-creates the frog? If not the blender, what type of energy will need to be applied?

Strawman.

Kentucky

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2007, 08:15:46 AM »
The Second Law of Thermodynamics
Answers to Critics

by Jonathan Sarfati

This article deals with three common questions about creationist thermodynamic arguments, and rebuts some common evolutionary counter-arguments:

1. Open systems
   2. Crystals
   3. The 2nd Law and the Fall

Question 1: Open Systems

Someone recently asked me about the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, stating that they thought it was irrelevant to creation/evolution because the earth is not an isolated system since the sun is constantly pumping in more energy.

This does seem to be a valid pointdo creationists still use this argument? Am I missing something here?
Answer 1:

The Second Law can be stated in many different ways, e.g.:

that the entropy of the universe tends towards a maximum (in simple terms, entropy is a measure of disorder)

usable energy is running out

information tends to get scrambled

order tends towards disorder

a random jumble wont organize itself

It also depends on the type of system:

An isolated system exchanges neither matter nor energy with its surroundings. The total entropy of an isolated system never decreases. The universe is an isolated system, so is running down see If God created the universe, then who Created God? for what this implies.

A closed system exchanges energy but not matter with its surroundings. In this case, the 2nd Law is stated such that the total entropy of the system and surroundings never decreases.

An open system exchanges both matter and energy with its surroundings. Certainly, many evolutionists claim that the 2nd Law doesnt apply to open systems. But this is false. Dr John Ross of Harvard University states:

& there are no known violations of the second law of thermodynamics. Ordinarily the second law is stated for isolated systems, but the second law applies equally well to open systems. &  There is somehow associated with the field of far-from-equilibrium thermodynamics the notion that the second law of thermodynamics fails for such systems. It is important to make sure that this error does not perpetuate itself.1

Open systems still have a tendency to disorder. There are special cases where local order can increase at the expense of greater disorder elsewhere. One case is crystallization, covered in Question 2 below. The other case is programmed machinery, that directs energy into maintaining and increasing complexity, at the expense of increased disorder elsewhere. Living things have such energy-converting machinery to make the complex structures of life.

The open systems argument does not help evolution. Raw energy cannot generate the specified complex information in living things. Undirected energy just speeds up destruction. Just standing out in the sun wont make you more complexthe human body lacks the mechanisms to harness raw solar energy. If you stood in the sun too long, you would get skin cancer, because the suns undirected energy will cause mutations. (Mutations are copying errors in the genes that nearly always lose information). Similarly, undirected energy flow through an alleged primordial soup will break down the complex molecules of life faster than they are formed.

Its like trying to run a car by pouring petrol on it and setting it alight. No, a car will run only if the energy in petrol is harnessed via the pistons, crankshaft, etc. A bull in a china shop is also raw energy. But if the bull were harnessed to a generator, and the electricity directed a pottery-producing machine, then its energy could be used to make things.

To make proteins, a cell uses the information coded in the DNA and a very complex decoding machine. In the lab, chemists must use sophisticated machinery to make the building blocks combine in the right way. Raw energy would result in wrong combinations and even destruction of the building blocks.

I suggest that thermodynamic arguments are excellent when done properly, and the open systems canard is anticipated. Otherwise I suggest concentrating on information content. The information in even the simplest organism would take about a thousand pages to write out. Human beings have 500 times as much information as this. It is a flight of fantasy to think that undirected processes could generate this huge amount of information, just as it would be to think that a cat walking on a keyboard could write a book.

For more information on mutation, variation and information, see our Question and Answer pages on these topics, or Refuting Evolution.
Return to top
Question 2: What about crystals?

To quote one anti-creationist, Boyce Rensberger:

If the Second Law truly prohibited local emergence of increased order, there would be no ice cubes. The greater orderliness of water molecules in ice crystals than in the liquid state is purchased with the expenditure of energy at the generator that made the electricity to run the freezer. And that makes it legal under the Second Law.2

Answer 2:

Rensberger is ignorant of the creationist responses to this argument. An energy source is not enough to produce the specified complexity of life. The energy must be directed in some way. The ice cubes of his example would not form if the electrical energy was just wired into liquid water! Instead, we would get lots of heat, and the water breaking up into simpler components, hydrogen and oxygen.

The ice example is thermodynamically irrelevant to the origin of life. When ice freezes, it releases heat energy into the environment. This causes an entropy increase in the surroundings. If the temperature is low enough, this entropy increase is greater than the loss of entropy in forming the crystal. But the formation of proteins and nucleic acids from amino acids and nucleotides not only lowers their entropy, but it removes heat energy (and entropy) from their surroundings. Thus ordinary amino acids and nucleotides will not spontaneously form proteins and nucleic acids at any temperature.

Rensberger also fails to distinguish between order and complexity. Crystals are ordered; life is complex. To illustrate: a periodic (repeating) signal, e.g. ABABABABABAB, is an example of order. However, it carries little information: only AB, and print 6 times.

A crystal is analogous to that sequence; it is a regular, repeating network of atoms. Like that sequence, a crystal contains little information: the co-ordinates of a few atoms (i.e. those which make up the unit cell), and instructions more of the same x times. If a crystal is broken, smaller but otherwise identical crystals result. Conversely, breaking proteins, DNA or living structures results in destruction, because the information in them is greater than in their parts.

A crystal forms because this regular arrangement, determined by directional forces in the atoms, has the lowest energy. Thus the maximum amount of heat is released into the surroundings, so the overall entropy is increased.

Random signals, e.g. WEKJHDF BK LKGJUES KIYFV NBUY, are not ordered, but complex. But a random signal contains no useful information. A non-random aperiodic (non-repeating) signalspecified complexitye.g. I love you, may carry useful information. However, it would be useless unless the receiver of the information understood the English language convention. The amorous thoughts have no relationship to that letter sequence apart from the agreed language convention. The language convention is imposed onto the letter sequence.

Proteins and DNA are also non-random aperiodic sequences. The sequences are not caused by the properties of the constituent amino acids and nucleotides themselves. This is a huge contrast to crystal structures, which are caused by the properties of their constituents. The sequences of DNA and proteins must be imposed from outside by some intelligent process. Proteins are coded in DNA, and the DNA code comes from pre-existing codes, not by random processes.

Many scientific experiments show that when their building blocks are simply mixed and chemically combined, a random sequence results. To make a protein, scientists need to add one unit at a time, and each unit requires a number of chemical steps to ensure that the wrong type of reaction doesnt occur. The same goes for preparing a DNA strand in a correct sequence. See Q&A: Origin of Life.

The evolutionary origin-of-life expert Leslie Orgel confirmed that there are three distinct concepts: order, randomness and specified complexity:

Living things are distinguished by their specified complexity. Crystals such as granite fail to qualify as living because they lack complexity; mixtures of random polymers fail to qualify because they lack specificity. [L. Orgel, The Origins of Life, John Wiley, NY, 1973, p. 189]

Even the simplest known self-reproducing life form (Mycoplasma) has 482 genes, and it must parasitize more complex organisms to obtain the building blocks it cannot manufacture itself. The simplest organism that could exist in theory would need at least 256 genes, and its doubtful whether it could survive.3 See How Simple Can Life Be?
Return to top
Question 3: Did the 2nd Law begin at the Fall?
Answer 3:

No, I would not say that entropy/Second Law of Thermodynamics began at the Fall. The Second Law is responsible for a number of good things which involve increases in entropy, so are decay processes in the thermodynamic sense but maybe not what most people would imagine are decay:

solar heating of the earth (heat transfer from a hot object to a cold one is the classical case of the Second Law in action),

walking (requires the highly entropic phenomenon of friction, otherwise Adam and Eve would have slipped as they walked with God in Eden!),

breathing (based on air moving from high pressure to low pressure, producing a more disordered equalized concentration of molecules),

digestion (breaking down large complex food molecules into their simple building blocks),

baking a cake (mixing the ingredients produces a lot of disorder), etc.

What is contrary to Scripture is death of nephesh animals before sin, and suffering (or groaning in travail (Rom. 8:2022)). It is more likely that God withdrew some of His sustaining power at the Fall. He still sustains the universe (Col. 1:17) otherwise it would cease to exist. But most of the time He doesnt sustain it in the way that He prevented the Israelites shoes and clothes from wearing out during the 40 years in the wilderness (Dt. 29:5). But this special case may have been the rule rather than the exception before the Fall. Return to top
References and notes

1. John Ross, Chemical and Engineering News, July 7, 1980, p. 40; cited in Duane Gish, Creation Scientists Answer their Critics Institute for Creation Research, 1993. Return to text.
   2. Boyce Rensberger, How Science Responds When Creationists Criticize Evolution, Washington Post, 8 Jan 1997. See Response by AiG. Return to Text.
   3. For a good discussion on thermodynamics; open, closed and isolated systems, order vs. complexity; and other difficulties for evolutionary origin of life scenarios, see Charles B. Thaxton, Walter L. Bradley and Roger L. Olsen, The Mystery of Lifes Origin, 1984, Foundation for Thought and Ethics, Lewis & Stanley, Dallas, TX (relevant chapters are online). See also detailed response to an evolutionist. Return to Text.

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2007, 09:40:13 AM »
Mr. Sarfati misunderstands the second law of thermodynamics.

A quick, easy overview of the second law and entropy.
A more in-depth, jargon-filled look.

Certainly, many evolutionists claim that the 2nd Law doesnt apply to open systems.

That is not the claim. The claim is that life is not violating the second law because there is an outside source of energy.

Raw energy cannot generate the specified complex information in living things.

No. And that is not the argument. But it is necessary to have an external energy source for something to both sustain and self replicate.

Undirected energy just speeds up destruction. Just standing out in the sun wont make you more complexthe human body lacks the mechanisms to harness raw solar energy.

What is his point? Direct sunlight is not the only way that energy from the sun is harnessed.

But the formation of proteins and nucleic acids from amino acids and nucleotides not only lowers their entropy, but it removes heat energy (and entropy) from their surroundings.

Great. So you've proved that for life to exist it needs and outside source of energy. Which it has.

The evolutionary origin-of-life expert Leslie Orgel confirmed that there are three distinct concepts: order, randomness and specified complexity

And all three things occur without any guidance, naturally. Crystals are used as an example because they show that order is naturally occuring. Crystals also self replicate under the correct circumstances. Self replication is the key to life and is found in nature. The biggest question in need of an answer is: What was the self replicator(s) that began the chain of life on earth? There is no violation of the second law here.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2007, 10:34:58 AM »
Evolution is not accidental. It is a natural process which produces things that reproduce efficiently in their environment.  It also takes time. A lot of it, for larger organisms!

Sir or Madam,

The point is that your laboratory evolution only takes place under controlled circumstances, when guided by a higher intelligence, yours.  Does this procedure really simulate the conditions under which similar organisms might have evolved?  If so, do you not find it ironic that the procedure still seems to require an intelligent agent to guide it?  If I came into your lab, as one not trained in these procedures, or in life sciences, would I even come close to achieving this "evolution"?  Would I not need to know exactly what to do?  How then do you propose that these elements could achieve this with no guidance at all, save natural selection?

Quote from: E Mike

Pew pew:  And what is wrong with a naturalist replacing the universe in place of God in your statement? 

gaston_45:  Ok, so how is this "fact" (facts are usually provable with evidence) any different than the "fact" that the universe started in a big bang?

I was responding to this question:  If god made the universe then who made god? 

gaston, the question seems to indicate that you don't understand theistic views of creation, and the views of most theists who oppose evolution.  I was trying to help you out.  Most of those who assert a creator god are talking about a god that is "the uncaused cause."  That is, he simply exists.  He does not need to be created, and in fact to speak of creating such a god is a non sequitir.  He is not an effect that requires a cause, he is THE cause.  This is required by his very nature. 

On the other hand, to assert that the universe is eternal and uncreated, one would have to show that this is consistent with the nature of the universe, in the same way that eternal, uncreated, necessary existence is consistent with the nature of the creator god proposed by theistic creationists.  So, I guess that's up to the cosmologists.