Author Topic: Kansas gun bill  (Read 3226 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Kansas gun bill
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:16:14 PM »
Okay, so I interjected this in another thread, but thought I should have a proper one here to discuss it.

Kansas just passed this into law:
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/sb102_enrolled.pdf

Eric Holder isn't happy, and in response to his angry letter, our governor told him to pound sand:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/15293-kansas-governor-to-ag-holder-we-will-continue-to-defend-2nd-amendment

Among other things, this bill did an end run around registering suppressors as NFA weapons with the feds if they aren't going to leave the state.

So, where do you expect this to go?  What impact does this have on the relationship between the feds and the states, and what impact does or will this have on the greater gun rights conflict going on right now?

Personally, I expect this to get shot down hard; but the feds didn't shoot down legalized pot [yet], so who knows? 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Kansas gun bill
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »
We just need 26 states to tell the feds to shove it  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
Don't worry... John Roberts knows how to read the Constitution on this issue.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
I do have to admit I like how gun control and Obamacare have turned into a pissing match between the current administration and many of the states.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
I do have to admit I like how gun control and Obamacare have turned into a pissing match between the current administration and many of the states.

Legalized pot too, although the current administration seems to be generally okay with that one.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »
Legalized pot too, although the current administration seems to be generally okay with that one.

Huh, what?

IIRC, BHO has prosecuted the WoSD more vigorously then GWB.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »

It warms the cockles of the libertarians.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »
IIRC, one of the states - Montana? - passed a law exempting firearms that don't cross the state line from Federal gun control laws. Has there been a test case yet?

Hmmm . . . here's a question for our legal eagles: what if a state declared that all US citizens with established residency in that state were members of the State Militia and were expected to be armed, with a list of acceptable firearms that mirrored (for example) Feinstein's new AW ban proposals? Exactly how would the Feds go about subverting something that was such a "pure" exercise of the Second Amendment?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »
IIRC, one of the states - Montana? - passed a law exempting firearms that don't cross the state line from Federal gun control laws. Has there been a test case yet?

This is still in the courts.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
Huh, what?

This.   =(

Not only has The One offended all our allies and rammed mandatory health insurance down our throats, He has out puritaned the Puritan Prohibitionists  :mad:  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »
Hmmm . . . here's a question for our legal eagles: what if a state declared that all US citizens with established residency in that state were members of the State Militia and were expected to be armed, with a list of acceptable firearms that mirrored (for example) Feinstein's new AW ban proposals? Exactly how would the Feds go about subverting something that was such a "pure" exercise of the Second Amendment?

Interesting.  I don't think the feds could subvert that approach.  IIRC, even the Heller and McDonald dissents said that state militias had the right to KABA.  I would love to see a state do this.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Huh, what?

Oh?  Apparently I have some research to do.  I was unaware that the feds had actually done much with respect to Colorado and Washington's legalization laws.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:58:48 PM »

political posturing and chest pounding to appease the masses. Much sound and fury signifying nothing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
political posturing and chest pounding to appease the masses. Much sound and fury signifying nothing.

Pretty much, makes for great entertainment watching the reactions of both sides.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »
Oh?  Apparently I have some research to do.  I was unaware that the feds had actually done much with respect to Colorado and Washington's legalization laws.

You are unaware of how they slammed down hard on the Montana medical MJ providers  ???   :O   ;/

Ten years in prison for growing and selling weed legally under state law, but of course if you rob or rape someone you get off with a couple years suspended  :mad:

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:19 PM »
If they really wanted to make a statement, they'd just make a law prohibiting KS cops  - over whom the Feds have no authority - from helping Federal LEOs on these issues.

There's only, what, 5000 BATFE agents in the whole country? They can't run after every illegal suppressor owner.

The way it's written it's designed to get smacked down.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

erictank

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »
You are unaware of how they slammed down hard on the Montana medical MJ providers  ???   :O   ;/

Ten years in prison for growing and selling weed legally under state law, but of course if you rob or rape someone you get off with a couple years suspended  :mad:

Well, you've gotta have your priorities straight, right?  ;/

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 09:52:25 PM »

Yea, actually.  I'll admit that I haven't really followed the medical marijuana movement; my attention has been on the gun stuff.  I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that this administration cracked down on those hardcore criminals gardeners.

On the Kansas law; I'm inclined to agree after some thought - this is pandering.  It will mean nothing, because the feds are NOT going to let go of their use of "interstate commerce" to regulate things that are neither moving interstate, or in commerce.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »
On the Kansas law; I'm inclined to agree after some thought - this is pandering.  It will mean nothing, because the feds are NOT going to let go of their use of "interstate commerce" to regulate things that are neither moving interstate, or in commerce.
Still, it makes me want adopt 'em as honorary Southerners.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 01:54:22 AM »

The movement seems to be going all right in California.

We just need a massive amount of people to do it and then a test case.  >:D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Kansas gun bill
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »
You are unaware of how they slammed down hard on the Montana medical MJ providers  ???   :O   ;/

you overlook the 600  pound ape.
they aren't allowing the dealer/growers to deduct the normal costs of doing biz. are holding them liable for taxes on gross receipts.
thats real leverage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Kansas gun bill
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:49 AM »

you are joking right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 06:20:06 AM »
If they really wanted to make a statement, they'd just make a law prohibiting KS cops  - over whom the Feds have no authority - from helping Federal LEOs on these issues . . .
Isn't that already the case? Didn't the Obama administration make it clear that they considered it illegal for state/local LEOs to enforce Federal laws when they went after Arizona on the illegal immigration issue?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 08:48:26 AM »
Isn't that already the case? Didn't the Obama administration make it clear that they considered it illegal for state/local LEOs to enforce Federal laws when they went after Arizona on the illegal immigration issue?

I think he is saying that they should just refuse to provide any kind of aid to federal law enforcement.  Most states don't allow local or state police to enforce federal laws, but still provide some kind of support.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »

It was going all right in Montana for some years.

Then the feds raided every provider operation in the state at the same time.