Author Topic: US appeals court deems gun law unconstitutional  (Read 1639 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
US appeals court deems gun law unconstitutional
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/19/us-appeals-court-deems-gun-law-unconstitutional/

A federal appeals court in Cincinnati deemed a law unconstitutional that kept a Michigan man who was committed to a mental institution from owning a gun.

The three-judge panel of the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled that a federal ban on gun ownership for those who have been committed to a mental institution violated the Second Amendment rights of 73-year-old Clifford Charles Tyler.

Tyler attempted to buy a gun and was denied on the grounds that he had been committed to a mental institution in 1986 after suffering emotional problems stemming from a divorce. He was only in there for a month.

If this holds up past the Supreme Court, if it gets there, how closer are we to getting NFA overturned?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: US appeals court deems gun law unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/19/us-appeals-court-deems-gun-law-unconstitutional/

If this holds up past the Supreme Court, if it gets there, how closer are we to getting NFA overturned?

I don't really understand how this case and the NFA are related?  ???
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
I don't really understand how this case and the NFA are related?  ???

I read it as the courts are saying that any law that is restrictive in nature is unconstitutional therefore the NFA is unconstitutional because it is restrictive in nature.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »
I read it as the courts are saying that any law that is restrictive in nature is unconstitutional therefore the NFA is unconstitutional because it is restrictive in nature.

All SCotUS rulings have held some restrictions are legal. I doubt this will have any effect on that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
It might be a crack in the door to allowing felons to restore their rights though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
It might be a crack in the door to allowing felons to restore their rights though. 

Not sure about Federal offenses, but at least here in Ohio there is already a law in place for a person "under disability" for a prior conviction to have the right restored.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

JN01

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »
The Feds cut funding for 2nd Amendment rights restoration, but provide funding for states to provide a program to do it.  Some states have declined to do so.  Court recognized that a fundamental right (2A) may be denied to those with mental issues making them dangerous, but there must be a system in place for EVERYONE to have those rights restored if that mental condition no longer exists.  Volokh summary: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/18/second-amendment-and-people-who-had-been-committed-to-a-mental-institution-28-years-ago/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
Washington also has a process for restoration of firearms rights.  I know a few counsel who make a tidy living off of that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 11:51:39 PM »

That's not what the court said at all. Tyler's case was dismissed at the district court level because the government said he hadn't stated a claim, and the court bought that. The appeals court said that Tyler HAD stated a claim: that his Second Amendment rights were violated. The appeals court sent the case back to the lower court with a directive that IF the gooberment doesn't dispute the facts [supporting Tyler's claim that he is not a danger to anyone and therefore should not be deprived of a fundamental right], the court must find the law unconstitutional.

Which means it ain't over yet, and if the gooberment can show sufficient reason to convince the court that Tyler is a danger, the law presumably will not be found unconstitutional.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JN01

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »
From the decision:
The government at oral argument stated that it currently has no reason to dispute that Tyler is a non-dangerous individual. On remand, the government may, if it chooses, file an answer to Tyler’s complaint to contest his factual allegations. If it declines to do so, the district court should enter a declaration of unconstitutionality as to § 922(g)(4)’s application to Tyler.