Author Topic: University student (veteran)might be punished fir calling out fake veteran  (Read 1578 times)

brimic

• friends
Heard about this on the way home.  Read it, the man us facing possible expulsion by the pc police tomorrow.
Phone number for university is on website.

http://wisconsindailyindependent.com/iraqi-war-vet-gets-disciplined-for-exposing-a-fellow-students-stolen-valor/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
I know nothing about this university, but what are the odds that someone (either the little *expletive deleted*it liar himself, or another snowflake) complained and the school is going through the motions to say "We looked into it, and handled it." when this hearing is the only actual planned result.

I note that the actual hearing hasn't happened yet, and the Vet put this on blast to the internet.  That might not have been the best plan. I know of no school anywhere that doesn't have an appeals process on their little psuedo-judical circle jerks.  Once the school actually did something to be outraged about might have been a better time to scream this from the rooftops.

Just not seeing the outrage here I guess.  He and another student got into it in the lunchroom.  By his own admission, there was loud voices and profanity.  Kinda the definition of disorderly.*  Disorderly conduct is being investigated.  So far, that's it.  As much as Stolen Valor pisses me off, every vet in the land isn't a self-deputized vet monitor.  The vet is responsible for his actions while telling off the liar.

*Post thought: I wonder what the odds are there's a cell phone video of this discussion somewhere (possibly in the school's possession)?  Seems like kids these days video everything.

brimic

• friends
Hopefully you are right, but I have a bad feeling that he will get rolled for not drinking the liberal kool-aid.
If it were a student shouting down a veteran for being a veteran, I doubt there would be any disciplinary action.

Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
This is America, where what you "identify" as is more important than what you are
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
This is America, where what you "identify" as is more important than what you are

True, and *expletive deleted*ing retarded.  One day reality will bitchslap many of these folks.

Hopefully you are right, but I have a bad feeling that he will get rolled for not drinking the liberal kool-aid.
If it were a student shouting down a veteran for being a veteran, I doubt there would be any disciplinary action.

I might be wrong.  Like I said I don't know anything about the institutional culture of this university.  But I've read enough internet outrage at this point in my life I read stories like this with a gimlet eye for what is not said.  Like the fact that this university hasn't actually done anything yet, except ask for an accounting of his actions.  That is actually reasonable if they had a report of two students cursing in the lunchroom.

Also, while I giggle all over those Stolen Valor videos on Facebook where fat sacks get pwoned in malls, it's worth remembering that Stolen Valor is only, actually, illegal if you claim vet status to get something you would not otherwise be entitled to.  That is to say, despite what Red Pill wants to think, simply telling this vet that the liar was a Marine Officer is not, actually, illegal.  Douchey, morally bankrupt, and worthy of public humiliation certainly.  But not against the law. Which puts the would be Avenging Vet in a tricky situation. To wit: If the vet crosses any legal or policy lines while enacting the so richly deserved humiliation, the Vet, not the liar, is in the wrong. That's worth remembering if you run across someone you think is faking it.

I sympathize with the vet, and I hope I am correct and the school is just doing it's due diligence on a reported altercation.  However, my inner CSD makes me ask what, exactly, "I was loud and did swear a couple times" means.  This guy may very well have crossed the line into violating university policy in his passion. 

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
As has been said, the hearing is supposedly to deal with the question of whether or not his conduct was disorderly.

There are better ways to deal with someone falsely claiming a status they do not actually posses.  I'm betting there is some sort of Honor Code.  Or Lonergan could have reported the incident to the administration as possible fraud to see if the d**che was claiming veteran status/eligibility (in which case it would be a stolen valor crime).

From personal experience with general d**chebaggery I know how difficult it is to refrain from imitating your First Sergeant before his third cup of lifer juice.  But when calmed down I realize that suggesting that the fraudster stop claiming to be something they are not, on threat of exposure, is possibly a better way of handling things.

For those wishing to gather a little support in dealing with stolen valor/false status claims, I highly recommend http://thisainthell.us/blog/ .  They do a great job documenting things, including claiming medals/awards not issued, and are not shy about taking their documentation to the press for public exposure.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
No room for righteous indignation when the cause being defended is a historically cause of the "right".

If he was a Palestinian young man cursing out a Jew he would be lauded for speaking truth to power and the narrative would be different. The school will not defend the honor of the military.

^ insert any typical "victim" and "oppressor" as defined by the left.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I might be wrong.  Like I said I don't know anything about the institutional culture of this university.  But I've read enough internet outrage at this point in my life I read stories like this with a gimlet eye for what is not said.  Like the fact that this university hasn't actually done anything yet, except ask for an accounting of his actions.  That is actually reasonable if they had a report of two students cursing in the lunchroom...

I sympathize with the vet, and I hope I am correct and the school is just doing it's due diligence on a reported altercation.  However, my inner CSD makes me ask what, exactly, "I was loud and did swear a couple times" means.  This guy may very well have crossed the line into violating university policy in his passion.  

And that is how one loses cultural skirmishes...then battles...and then the war.  That is how decent men like the cop who shot "Gentle Giant Mike" Brown get hounded into hiding and the Ferguson police chief fired.  That is how we get decent small business owners' businesses destroyed by worthless deviants and their fellow travelers.  That is how we get illegal aliens paying in-state tuition.  Whether or not Lonergan is pure as the driven snow is of little matter in these days of cultural strife.  The enemy surely does not require unsullied champions or causes.  

You may not be interested in the war for the culture, but it is interested in you.  And it won't be fought along Marquis of Queensbury rules, with traceable logic, references to data, and the like.  It will be fought with appeals to emotion & tribe and by demonstrating power via rallying large numbers of irate and potentially violent supporters.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
I hope someone will follow this and report the results of the kangaroo court tribunal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
True, and *expletive deleted*ing retarded.  One day reality will bitchslap many of these folks.

This is why I'm rooting for zombies one day....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: University student (veteran)might be punished fir calling out fake veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 11:00:46 AM »

This is why I'm rooting for zombies  asteroid one day....

Fixed! ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »
Fixed! ;)

Nope, zombies.
Asteroids are too indiscriminate on whom they take out.
The victim class and the left are natural prey for zombies.

Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »
I like the part where he can only be on campus to attend classes.  Sounds like they are going to try and railroad him.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »
"Was told his lawyer cannot be present at the tribunal" What the everlovin' frakk?

I know it's a non-judicial university tribunal, but to tell an attorney he can't be present? I see many sparks and large amounts of not-good from that alone. Most attys I know would take that as a personal challenge to hang the university by its own petard. If the attorney is also a vet the "gonna rub your face in it" setting will automatically dial to 11.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »
"Was told his lawyer cannot be present at the tribunal" What the everlovin' frakk?

I know it's a non-judicial university tribunal, but to tell an attorney he can't be present? I see many sparks and large amounts of not-good from that alone. Most attys I know would take that as a personal challenge to hang the university by its own petard. If the attorney is also a vet the "gonna rub your face in it" setting will automatically dial to 11.

Brad

That occurred to me as well. The very fact that they told him that an attorney cannot be present would be a tip off to me that I would want and absolutely insist than an attorney present.

Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
That occurred to me as well. The very fact that they told him that an attorney cannot be present would be a tip off to me that I would want and absolutely insist than an attorney present.

Ditto.

A goodly number of years ago I briefly worked for a quasi-public agency. One of the members of the board of commissioners took an immediate dislike to me, both because I was the wrong color and because I didn't seem to show him the respect he seemed to think he was due. (In other words, I treated him the same as I treated the other commissioners, politely and professionaly, but no groveling or genuflecting.) So he trumped up some charge against me and I was told -- with approximately 25 hours notice -- that I was to be the subject of a disciplinary hearing. The hearing was to be conducted behind closed doors.

I did some quick research and found that, although the default for personnel matters was privacy, I had the option of a public hearing. So I immediately notified the board's secretary that I was formally requesting a public hearing, and that I was requesting sufficient time to engage an attorney.

I'm still waiting for the hearing to be convened ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 02:49:53 PM »

Brad

Yes, I was a "witness" at one of these things in grad school when one of my office mates was brought up for yelling at his advisor. She used the "hates women" shtick, and he was not allowed to have an attorney and was also allowed very limited testimony (him and his witnesses) compared to the professor and the University.

End result, he was kicked out one month before his dissertation defense.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
The victim class and the left are natural prey for zombies.

Not really.  Zombies need prey with brains.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
http://fox6now.com/2015/10/13/they-banned-me-from-campus-confrontation-lands-college-student-in-trouble/

Seems like the school canceled the hearing.  I wonder if that's it,  or are they waiting for attention to die off?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 09:31:57 PM »

Brad
The no attorney thing is almost boilerplate in these type of actions. And typically your " support person" must remain silent as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 09:48:31 PM »

Brad

As a law school dropout I spent five minute or so researching this last night.  It seems like the issue of whether the Due Process Clause applies (including "you have the right to an attorney") is somewhat vague in the case of university disciplinary hearings.  In no small part muddied by universities themselves.  Obviously universities are going to make that argument and I'm not sure I agree with them.  But there is case law to support the argument that you don't get an attorney at a university tribunal.  See CSD's comment.

A good excerpt from an article I found.

Students facing possible suspension or expulsion from public colleges and universities are entitled to due process because liberty and property are clearly at stake.  This raises the question of precisely what process is due.  As noted, because the liberty and property interests involved in suspension or expulsion from institutions of higher education are much smaller than those posed by criminal conviction, less procedural protection is required in a campus tribunal than in a court of criminal law.

The consensus established by the courts is that, at the absolute minimum, students in campus disciplinary cases are entitled to have notice of the charges against them, a disclosure or explanation of the evidence behind the charges, and an opportunity to contest this evidence.

My comment:  Notice the absence of the right to an attorney.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 11:42:33 PM »
http://fox6now.com/2015/10/13/they-banned-me-from-campus-confrontation-lands-college-student-in-trouble/

Seems like the school canceled the hearing.  I wonder if that's it,  or are they waiting for attention to die off?

The linked site is riddled with adware. Phone-locking popup ad when I followed it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB