Author Topic: Unusual mass shooting in Maryland: perpetrated by a woman  (Read 1694 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Unusual mass shooting in Maryland: perpetrated by a woman
« on: September 20, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-maryland-shooting/maryland-woman-kills-three-people-and-herself-in-warehouse-gun-rampage-idUSKCN1M0266?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FtopNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Top+News%29

The shooting was done by a 26 year old woman and was precipitated by problems at work.  Perhaps our resident database expert on shootings can comment, but it is apparently pretty unusual for a woman to do this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Unusual mass shooting in Maryland: perpetrated by a woman
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
Anyone want to bet on the building being posted?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 11:23:17 PM »
I don't track the shooter's gender but I can say that I don't recall any incidents that I felt qualified for inclusion in my database that were perpetrated by women. Until now -- I have added this one to the database, and I'll await input as to whether or not the gun was obtained legally, and whether or not the facility was posted as a gun-free zone. (Or, if not posted, so construed by personnel policies. That's a distinction because, as an example, when I took a part-time job at Barnes & Noble, the store wasn't posted but the personnel manual said employees could not possess firearms on the premises. That's why I quit.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 11:51:44 PM »
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-harford-shooting-20180920-story.html#

Hawkmoon, the Sun article states that the 9 mm Glock was registered to and owned by the shooter.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 12:21:13 AM »
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-harford-shooting-20180920-story.html#

Hawkmoon, the Sun article states that the 9 mm Glock was registered to and owned by the shooter.

Okay, that answers that. Still to be determined: Was the Rite Aid facility a "gun free" zone?

Interestingly (to me, anyway) -- one of the articles on this incident mentioned two other mass shootings, in both of which four people were wounded. One of them was in what was described in every article I could find as a "courthouse" in Masontown, PA. That's interesting, because PA state law is verey specific in that courtrooms are gun free zones, but if the courtroom(s) and associated offices are in buildings housing other facilities, only the court portion is gun free. I was finally able to figure out from photos that the building is the Masontown Borough Municipal Center, and the court is a local magistrate's court. The shooting occurred in the front lobby of the building, not in the courtroom or the judge's office.

So, either by accident or design, the articles (many articles) reported the incident in a way that implied the shooting took place in a gun free area when, in fact, it didn't.

From the Sun arrticle:

“Three workplace active shooting attacks in just the last 24 hours should spark outrage in every American,” former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords said in a statement Thursday. Giffords was shot in the head at a “Congress on Your Corner” event outside a grocery store in the Tucson area in 2011 and has become an anti-gun violence activist.

“If gun violence feels like it's become an everyday occurrence, that's because it is,” she said. “But every time you hear news of another shooting, remind yourself that this level of gun violence is not normal. No other developed nation experiences this kind of daily heartbreak and horror.”

Shooting are still not really "everyday" occurances in the U.S. but they are too frequent. But ... before we blame it all on eeeevil GUNZ!, let's stop and remember that prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, prior to the Lautenberg Amendment, prior to the federal and all the state anti- "assault weapon" laws, Americans could buy all the guns they wanted anywhere and any time they wanted. And guess what? We didn't have mass shootings "every day." The problem is not the guns, therefor the problem must be something else. And it's figuring out what that something else is (or are, since it's likely not a single factor) that should be the focus of legislative intentions, not prohibiting law-abiding people from exercising a Constitutionally-guaranteed right.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 12:32:01 AM »

But was it [ominous tone] military-grade?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 07:47:35 AM »
The evil National Rifle Association is the real perpetrator here!

They got in her head! She's a victim!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »
The only other mass shooting I can recall being committed by a woman is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama_in_Huntsville_shooting

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »
As to whether the building was posted or not...It was in Maryland.  The entire state is pretty much posted.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 11:01:16 AM »

From the Sun arrticle:

Shooting are still not really "everyday" occurances in the U.S. but they are too frequent. But ... before we blame it all on eeeevil GUNZ!, let's stop and remember that prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, prior to the Lautenberg Amendment, prior to the federal and all the state anti- "assault weapon" laws, Americans could buy all the guns they wanted anywhere and any time they wanted. And guess what? We didn't have mass shootings "every day." The problem is not the guns, therefor the problem must be something else. And it's figuring out what that something else is (or are, since it's likely not a single factor) that should be the focus of legislative intentions, not prohibiting law-abiding people from exercising a Constitutionally-guaranteed right.
The "something else" items that contribute to this all have better lobbyists and buy more advertising with the media. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »
There are a number of female members of the NRA, and female politicians who take their money. As we know, all of them are responsible for gun violence, domestic violence, global warming, the lack of creativity in Hollywood, the declining bee population, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 02:25:36 PM »
^^^Declining bees are the worst.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
As to whether the building was posted or not...It was in Maryland.  The entire state is pretty much posted.

Yeah, I know ... but that's conjecture. I don't want to compile statistics based on conjecture. One of my points of data extraction is shootings in gun-free zones vs. shootings in non-gun-free zones. For the statistic to be useful, it can't be based on guesswork.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 02:42:43 PM »
^^^Declining bees are the worst.

Just tell them to get their lazy bee asses out of their cute little bee chaise longues and get back to work.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 03:07:19 PM »
Supposedly the murderer was a transsexual.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
Just tell them to get their lazy bee asses out of their cute little bee chaise longues and get back to work.
I was going to say something about the African Killer Bee invasion, but I don't want to be accused of anything.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »

Have a link for that?

If true, we suddenly cross off the "Mass Shooting Performed by a Woman" and it becomes far less unusual.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
Yeah, I know ... but that's conjecture. I don't want to compile statistics based on conjecture. One of my points of data extraction is shootings in gun-free zones vs. shootings in non-gun-free zones. For the statistic to be useful, it can't be based on guesswork.

Hawkmoon, will this do? https://content.riteaid.com/www.riteaid.com/w-content/images/company/governance/code_of_ethics.pdf

Quote from: From above link
Weapons and workplace violence

Associates may not carry weapons or explosives on
Company time or on the Company’s premises. Similarly,
the Company will not tolerate any level of violence in the
workplace or in any work-related setting. Violations of this
policy must be referred to the associate’s supervisor
immediately.
For further information regarding the Company’s policy
concerning weapons and workplace violence, please refer
to Policy 2.1.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 04:55:50 PM »
Have a link for that?

If true, we suddenly cross off the "Mass Shooting Performed by a Woman" and it becomes far less unusual.

You mean to say, that transsexuals commit more mass murders than women ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »
Hawkmoon, will this do? https://content.riteaid.com/www.riteaid.com/w-content/images/company/governance/code_of_ethics.pdf

That'll do 'er. Gun-free zone it is.

And, of course, it worked just as well in this instance as it works everywhere else.

Thank you.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 06:29:40 PM »
I don't track the shooter's gender but I can say that I don't recall any incidents.....

I'm pretty sure the shooter in this case doesn't track their own gender either....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
The only other mass shooting I can recall being committed by a woman is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama_in_Huntsville_shooting

Right you are. That one is in my database, but I had forgotten that it was perpetrated by a woman. As I commented, I don't track the shooters' gender. I'm just looking to compile statistics showing that declaring a place to be "gun free" while not taking any steps to ensure that guns can't be brought in is worse than counterproductive. At the moment, discounting 9/11 because it didn't involve firearms, that count stands at

• Killed by guns in non-gun-free zones -- 208
  • Killed by guns in gun-free zones -- 429
  • Wounded/injured by guns in non-gun-free zones -- 225
  • Wounded/injured by guns in gun-free zones -- 1330

There are still five events for which I have been unable to determine the gun-free status of the location. Those five won't make a major difference either way. The trend is obvious and overwhelming. Declaring a place "gun free" does nothing to prevent shootings in that place.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »

"mentally ill woman shoots co-workers."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
Yeah, this one is gonna get rabbit holed pretty quick, definitely does not fit the standard narrative.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/21/maryland-rite-aid-distribution-center-employee-shot-herself-twice-in-head-diagnosed-with-mental-illness-in-2016.html
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
You mean people who can't look at their junk and determine their gender have other deep seated mental problems? Racist!

I have only known two trannies and they were well known useless human beings long before any of us knew they liked to tuck it before they danced. Mentally unwell.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.