Author Topic: US = 10th Worst Country for Women  (Read 1063 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
US = 10th Worst Country for Women
« on: July 25, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »
I mean, come on. All you can do is look at their map, see all the unnumbered countries in certain parts of the world, and laugh. Or maybe cry.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/07/25/worlds-greatest-thinkers-run-with-thoroughly-debunked-conclusion-that-the-us-is-the-10th-worst-country-for-women/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: US = 10th Worst Country for Women
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »
Fake news, fake studies.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:28:40 AM »
I find it odd that India is the worst below all those Muslim countries.

This story was apparently rejected by @TheOnion so it was posted here. https://twitter.com/bigthink/status/1154227429134745601
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 11:47:44 AM »
I find it odd that India is the worst below all those Muslim countries.

A large part of India is majority Muslim. Having spent some time there, I could agree it isn’t the most free place to be a woman, but I think these ratings need to be looked at with a truckload if salt.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
For their sample set of 10 they basically just hand picked the 9 worst counties and then threw in the US as 10th. Surprise, surprise, surprise, the US came out as the 10th worst. Similar to what they do in many global warming studies.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
It sounds believable to me.  It would explain why most American women are so eager to move to those nine countries, if only those nasty men would let them.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
Experimental / sampling artifact.  Only American women typically have the opportunity to actually bitch about their supposed "plight," thereby skewing the rankings.

I've seen that before and I'm starting to call it "The Mascara Factor."

Hey, I'm not being anti-feminist !  I'm being pro-scientist by hunting down possible extraneous variables in the 'sperimental model.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:48:05 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
Post that on liberal college campuses, and lefty women will probably be falling over themselves to move to wonderful places like Libya, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Iran, Rwanda, Burundi, and a host of others that DIDN'T make this  Top 10 worst list . . .   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 06:05:58 PM »
Post that on liberal college campuses, and lefty women will probably be falling over themselves to move to wonderful places like Libya, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Iran, Rwanda, Burundi, and a host of others that DIDN'T make this  Top 10 worst list . . .   >:D

*snort*

And miss the continued opportunity to bitch about how "oppressed" they are?

You forget, woman like to complain. It's what we do and if we can't find legitimate to complain about, we'll make something up.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 09:03:08 PM »
*snort*

And miss the continued opportunity to bitch about how "oppressed" they are?

You forget, woman like to complain. It's what we do and if we can't find legitimate to complain about, we'll make something up.
Not a problem - in the countries I mentioned (and many others!) left-wing women will discover they have plenty to complain about.   >:D   ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain