Author Topic: Upper Case B, Lower Case w  (Read 2605 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Upper Case B, Lower Case w
« on: July 20, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »
Tell me we're not simply going for black supremacy versus equality. None of these people want equality. BLM and white guilt liberals want role reversal for the past.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/07/20/associated-press-updates-its-style-guide-to-capitalize-black-while-white-remains-in-lowercase-to-avoid-subtly-conveying-legitimacy-to-white-supremacy/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Upper Case B, Lower Case w
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
Anyone who's been paying attention shouldn't be surprised at this latest example of racist pandering by the media.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »
Is there some woke contest going on that I don't know about?  Maybe a woke decathalon or a woke-olympics?

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
Is there some woke contest going on that I don't know about?  Maybe a woke decathalon or a woke-olympics?

It's more like the woke World Super Series Bowl.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 11:50:32 PM »
 :facepalm:   This:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 12:03:11 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 07:21:22 AM »
Started my career in an AP newspaper shop in 1989.

The AP Style Manual was *expletive deleted*it then, it's *expletive deleted*it now. I refuse to work anywhere where it's the primary manual.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 12:23:23 AM »
Strunk & White "Elements Of Style"

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-Fourth-William-Strunk/dp/020530902X/

My "bible" in College English and Technical Writing (my major).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 12:28:16 AM »
Strunk & White "Elements Of Style"

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-Fourth-William-Strunk/dp/020530902X/

My "bible" in College English and Technical Writing (my major).

3rd edition was the last good Strunk and White. After that, they started attacking the generic masculine and other deviated preversions.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 03:03:06 AM »
I probably used the 3rd or 2nd back when I was in college in the late 80's/early 90's. I just "grabbed" the first one that came up in the simple search for Strunk White "Elements Of Style"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 12:12:14 PM »
Hoo, boy.

This thread caused me to fire up Amazon in search of the third edition of Elements of Style. They had it, I ordered it, and it has arrived.

Once it arrived, I thought it looked vaguely familiar. There's good reason for that ... I already had two copies of it (both the third edition) sitting on the reference bookshelf on my computer desk.  :facepalm:

Nonetheless, I'm not going to return it. There will soon come a day when it's not available. I've done the same thing with real thesauri. It's virtually impossible to find a "thesaurus" today that isn't just a dictionary of synonyms, masquerading as a thesaurus. Not the same thing, at all. I have at least a half dozen real thesauri (including three copies of one compact, paperback edition), and I don't plan to dispose of any of them. You almost can't get them any more.

You won't find a real thesaurus in Barnes & Noble -- I've looked. You can still find them on Amazon, though:
https://www.amazon.com/Rogets-International-Thesaurus-Barbara-Kipfer/dp/0061715212/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TMRYKJEUGZB6&dchild=1&keywords=roget%27s+international+thesaurus+8th+edition&qid=1596039169&sprefix=Roget%27s+%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-3

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
Easter eggs...it won't be long.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »
Nonetheless, I'm not going to return it. There will soon come a day when it's not available. I've done the same thing with real thesauri. It's virtually impossible to find a "thesaurus" today that isn't just a dictionary of synonyms, masquerading as a thesaurus. Not the same thing, at all. I have at least a half dozen real thesauri (including three copies of one compact, paperback edition), and I don't plan to dispose of any of them. You almost can't get them any more.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference?  Honest question, the only thesaurus I have used is just a dictionary of synonyms.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference?  Honest question, the only thesaurus I have used is just a dictionary of synonyms.

In what I call a "real" thesaurus, the book is split into two parts. The second half is an alphabetical index of words. For any word that carries multiple meanings or shades of meanings, each is listed as a separate subheading, followed by a numerical reference. The first half of the book is arranged numerically, and that's where you look up the words that might be used to convey exactly what you're looking for.

Example (from one of the smaller, pocket editions):

settle: establish 150
... be located 184
... come to rest 265
... subside 306
... decide 480, 609
... pay 807
-down: become stable 150
... locate oneself 184

So from the index we can see that the word "settle" can serve a number of different shades of meaning. From the list, you choose the one or two that are closest to what you want to say, and look those up. So, for "settle" in the sense of "decide," we find the following:

480: V judge, conclude, opine; come to (or arrive at) a conclusion; ascertain; determine.
deduce, derive, gather, collect, infer.
estimate, form an estimate, appreciate, value, count, assess, rate, rank, account; regard, consider, think of, size up [colloq.].
decide, settle; try, pronounce, rule; find, pass judgment, sentence, doom, decree; give (or deliver) judgment; adjudge, adjudicate; arbitrate, award; confirm.
review, comment, criticize; examine.

And that's all just from the first of two numerical references for "settle" in the sense of "decide." The dictionaries of synonyms just don't (and can't) convey the multitude of shades of meaning that the true thesaurus does.

Now ... if anyone is tempted to fire up Amazon and buy a "real" thesaurus ... get the 7th edition, not the 8th. There have been a LOT of complaints about the 8th edition. Basically, it seems that the 8th edition tried to save pages, so in the index they list only the key word and the numerical references, without telling you what shade(s) of meaning the numerical references relate to. Serious writers have been up in arms, and are pretty much in agreement that this makes the 8th edition functionally useless.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »
That does seem much more useful.  Thanks for the description  =)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »
In what I call a "real" thesaurus, the book is split into two parts. The second half is an alphabetical index of words. For any word that carries multiple meanings or shades of meanings, each is listed as a separate subheading, followed by a numerical reference. The first half of the book is arranged numerically, and that's where you look up the words that might be used to convey exactly what you're looking for.

Example (from one of the smaller, pocket editions):

settle: establish 150
... be located 184
... come to rest 265
... subside 306
... decide 480, 609
... pay 807
-down: become stable 150
... locate oneself 184

So from the index we can see that the word "settle" can serve a number of different shades of meaning. From the list, you choose the one or two that are closest to what you want to say, and look those up. So, for "settle" in the sense of "decide," we find the following:

480: V judge, conclude, opine; come to (or arrive at) a conclusion; ascertain; determine.
deduce, derive, gather, collect, infer.
estimate, form an estimate, appreciate, value, count, assess, rate, rank, account; regard, consider, think of, size up [colloq.].
decide, settle; try, pronounce, rule; find, pass judgment, sentence, doom, decree; give (or deliver) judgment; adjudge, adjudicate; arbitrate, award; confirm.
review, comment, criticize; examine.

And that's all just from the first of two numerical references for "settle" in the sense of "decide." The dictionaries of synonyms just don't (and can't) convey the multitude of shades of meaning that the true thesaurus does.

Now ... if anyone is tempted to fire up Amazon and buy a "real" thesaurus ... get the 7th edition, not the 8th. There have been a LOT of complaints about the 8th edition. Basically, it seems that the 8th edition tried to save pages, so in the index they list only the key word and the numerical references, without telling you what shade(s) of meaning the numerical references relate to. Serious writers have been up in arms, and are pretty much in agreement that this makes the 8th edition functionally useless.

I'm so glad you went through that exercise.  Thank you.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 04:10:49 PM »
When they have to go into multiple attempts to explain it, they know they *expletive deleted*ed up, they're catching a lot of heat for *expletive deleted*ing up, but they're too stupid/stubborn/woke/douchy to admit they *expletive deleted*ed up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »
And now the Washington Post, which decided to capitalize W, is now coming under fire.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washington-post-draws-backlash-over-decision-to-capitalize-white

Apparently when you're the wokest son of a gun in town, you're still not woke enough.

Some of the twitter comments are... well... wow. Just wow.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »
Some people wrote something about some other people.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
The planet names are next. How can we be so cruel as to make black children look up into the sky and see white gods over them. They might start doing poorly in school because of the shame.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »
And now the Washington Post, which decided to capitalize W, is now coming under fire.

You mean the washington post.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
The planet names are next. How can we be so cruel as to make black children look up into the sky and see white gods over them. They might start doing poorly in school because of the shame.
In order to rectify this, I propose that when the presence of a 10th planet is officially verified, it be named Malcolm.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »
In order to rectify this, I propose that when the presence of a 10th planet is officially verified, it be named Malcolm.

But when a tenth planet is officially verified, it won't be the tenth planet, because "science" has now decreed that Pluto isn't a planet, it's only a planetoid.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
Earth needs to check it's planet privilege and stop holding other heavenly bodies back.

It's only [solar] systemic planetism that has allowed the inner planets to hoard all the heat and light at the expense of the downtrodden outer planets.