Author Topic: That was good...What's on the table over the next several days?  (Read 5979 times)

peteinct

• friend
Re: That was good...What's on the table over the next several days?
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 08:08:58 AM »
I have to be in work both Christmas eve and Christmas day. So my crew got together and got a pre made roast beef dinner which we will be eating tonight. All I can hope is that the plant doesn't have any problems so I can digest my beef and mashed taters. pete

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007, 10:00:55 AM »
Up at my folks, where it's cold and so foggy you can't see your hand in front of your face, but the fire is going, so it's all good.

Bread is baking and ham and sauerkraut are cooking for our traditional Southern Kraut Christmas Eve dinner. Tomorrow it's turkey, pheasant (that's been in the freezer) and dove (fresh from the field over the last couple of days) with lots of gravy and plum sauce. I won't even go into the baked goods. Suffice to say I leave a pair of jeans up here that are an inch bigger in the waist than I usually wear.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »
We're having pork chops and homemade sauerkraut for dinner this evening, Ben.

I brought a bunch of kraut up with me.

I went to Walmart (not as bad as you'd think on Christmas Eve) to pick up a couple of pounds of shrimp, and the thick cut center loin chops were absolutely beautiful, so I had to get some of those.

Gave Mom the option -- shrimp scampi or chops and kraut for dinner tonight, with the other one on Wednesday. Tough choice for her. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

takhtakaal

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 06:20:23 PM »
Dinner tonight was strictly off the hook!

I outdid myself. For appetizers, we had a tortilla espa?ola (potato, onion and egg frittata), chorizo sausages in white wine, alcapurrias (fritter of a mashed potato-like root called yautia and smushed plaintains, around spiced ground beef and finely chopped smoked ham), and bastones de yuca (ground cassava with flour and eggs, rolled into a log and deep-fried). For the main meal, I did a pernil, a roast picnic shoulder of pork rubbed down with a marinade and studded with sliced garlic and a spice mixture called recaito, stuck into little pockets cut all over the meat, rice and gandules, and Dominican red beans stewed with potatoes, tomatoes, and spices.

Tomorrow, the cook takes a break. We're having Indian buffet.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 06:49:21 PM »
So many good things already mentioned, I hesitate to mention our meager repast for the holiday; a simple Tri-tip, marinated in teriyaki and pineapple, with a tossed field green salad.  The roast is currently soaking on the back porch and by morning it should have absorbed the marinade, grill on high for about a half hour and slice.  If I time it right, there is no need for sauce of any kind; it leaks out while its being cut.

Left-overs are practically candy.

Da Bianhua
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2007, 10:33:48 PM »
Saturday evening it was :

Foie Gras with a sweet white Bordeaux (moelleux)
Steak,  roasted persil  potatoes, sweet peas with a  three pepper sauce
and a red Bordeaux
Austrian christmas cookies (Vanillekipferln) 

Sunday evenig :

Irish stew cooked in a pint of Guinness
Cookies

Monday :

light lunch - smoked salmon and snails (!) with garlic herb butter

dinner - stuffed (chestnuts, bacon, liver and bread) turkey with its own juice mixed with carrots and cellery and red cabbage marinated in orange juice and red wine. C?te de Rhone to drink and christmas cookies and foam candy for dessert.

Tuesday :

The familiy (30 people) will be meeting in an Italian restaurant across the border for Christmas lunch, I don't know the menu yet but I'm not going to lose weight there either... 
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2007, 12:29:53 AM »
Laurent,

Sounds wonderful.

In what part of France are you.  You mentioned that you are close to Italy, which made me think of Nice, but there are many places you could be.

Merry Christmas.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2007, 02:54:37 AM »
Christmas Eve at my family's house, we had the traditional chicken-fried deer steak. Heavenly. In the past, my grandfather was the deer hunter; but, since he passed away, my BIL has taken over that wonderful duty. Wish I had time to help him out....  grin

Today we're at my wife's family's house. It'll be traditional fare....but pretty darn good. Her dad is doing deep-fried turkey.....another slice of heaven on a plate, please.....  grin

Merry Christmas to all y'all.......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2007, 06:07:14 AM »
Just home from wiring at the River, but had the foresight last week to buy a standing rib roast of beef. Fresh green beans from somewhere in the world not here, mashed taters, and maybe I'll bake an apple pie.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2007, 08:07:38 AM »
Turkey is in the oven, mince pie came out a little bit ago. Mom's peeling potatos for mashed, and we're going to try a new dish -- cheddar carrots. Sounded really good to both of us.

Anyone having any problems finding fresh cranberries this year? No problem finding them at Thanksgiving, but NONE of the stores around here had fresh cranberries, so it's a can of Ocean Spray instead of my ginger ale & orange cranberries.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2007, 08:08:46 AM »
Laurent,

Sounds wonderful.

In what part of France are you.  You mentioned that you are close to Italy, which made me think of Nice, but there are many places you could be.

Merry Christmas.

No you're absolutely right, I live in Saint Laurent du Var (hence the name) which comes right after Nice on the Mediterrenean Sea.  

Joyeux No?l,

Laurent

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2007, 03:31:28 PM »
    I'm going over to my cousin's house tommorrow. His wife will be cooking. She's Mexican-by-birth (now naturalized) and I can guarantee you her food will be both fantastic, and not something on the typical gringo menu grin Don't know what though.

Update on this...when I arrived I found Maria hacking up sugar cane with a very large knife.. she told me "Doug's turning into a Mexican, he wants me to make him some 'punch'e'" (a fruit and sugar cane mixture sweet), I don't like fruit so I passed on that...she had some guacamole sauce simmering on the stove...she said "I only put one little pepper in it...", I don't care for guacamole either, so I passed on that too... I watched Doug bite into the guacamole sauce, and immediately reach for a paper towel to wipe the sweat beading on his forehead...he said "Pica"

Now I had a large portion of fajitas with those hot towel wrapped tortillas and some homemade salsa...mmmmmm

I'm fixin to reheat some of the fajitas and some pork tamales she sent home with me right now....
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

takhtakaal

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2007, 03:35:17 PM »
     I'm going over to my cousin's house tommorrow. His wife will be cooking. She's Mexican-by-birth (now naturalized) and I can guarantee you her food will be both fantastic, and not something on the typical gringo menu grin Don't know what though.

Update on this...when I arrived I found Maria hacking up sugar cane with a very large knife.. she told me "Doug's turning into a Mexican, he wants me to make him some 'punch'e'" (a fruit and sugar cane mixture sweet), I don't like fruit so I passed on that...she had some guacamole sauce simmering on the stove...she said "I only put one little pepper in it...", I don't care for guacamole either, so I passed on that too... I watched Doug bite into the guacamole sauce, and immediately reach for a paper towel to wipe the sweat beading on his forehead...he said "Pica"

Now I had a large portion of fajitas with those hot towel wrapped tortillas and some homemade salsa...mmmmmm

I'm fixin to reheat some of the fajitas and some pork tamales she sent home with me right now....

Mmm. Didn't get to the avocados I bought yet -- the base of all good guacamole. I may just slice it up for salad to go with the leftovers. You like nopales, watie?

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »
... You like nopales, watie?

I haven't tried them. I'm very willing to try because I understand they are more grain in nature than vegetable or fruit...something I have found historically interesting...the more successful anglo farmers in this part of the world,  in times of bovine hardship, got through the hardest times because they squinted their eyes, and figured out what the spanish or american indian language only people were telling them..."burn the fields with the prickly pear , turn the cows loose in the burned fields, they can live for weeks on the carbs the prickly pear  has"
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2007, 04:02:58 PM »
My wife's week long cold and sore throat had been getting worse but pretty much peaked yesterday, the 24th. She'd been in bed till yesterday, when she moved to the couch.  She still has a sore throat. 

Being that I basically have a problem boiling water, assuming that I am able to identify the object in which the water can boil, and actually knowing where that object might be stored, and how to turn on the implement that heats the water is a mystery as well, I went to Subway for lunch and went a got a pizza for dinner from the only open business in our small town.  They were closing when I arrived about 6PM yesterday.  Perhaps it was the groveling and the tears, or perhaps the Christmas spirit that softened their hearts and the owners agreed to bake me a pie, else we would have starved to death.

Today, she was feeling better sp we drove into the metro area as planned and joined our kids and grandkids and other relatives at MIL's house.  Large crew.  We trade gifts and have sandwiches.  This year was meatloaf sandwiches, potato salad and beans.  MIL is 88, so we don't force her to make a large dinner anymore.  Better this way anyway. 

Thanksgiving and Easter are the major feasts for our family.  Christmas is just a time of laughing, joking, opening silly gifts and snacking.  I get all my Barnes and Noble gift cards.  Wooo haaaa.  The family has 4 generations involved now.  88 is oldest and 3 is the youngest.  Actually kind of fun because it's short and sweet, only a couple hours and then head home to watch A Christmas Story for the 4,478th time.  (That's the story of my life) and eat home made candy till my belly hurts.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

takhtakaal

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2007, 04:48:50 PM »
... You like nopales, watie?

I haven't tried them. I'm very willing to try because I understand they are more grain in nature than vegetable or fruit...something I have found historically interesting...the more successful anglo farmers in this part of the world,  in times of bovine hardship, got through the hardest times because they squinted their eyes, and figured out what the spanish or american indian language only people were telling them..."burn the fields with the prickly pear , turn the cows loose in the burned fields, they can live for weeks on the carbs the prickly pear  has"

Actually, nopales are the cactus and "leaves," the fin-like growths. The prickly pears are "higo chumbo," literally, "lowly figs." The nopales make a dynamite salad: http://ar.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061103175424AA1RbQy

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2007, 08:51:01 PM »
No you're absolutely right, I live in Saint Laurent du Var (hence the name) which comes right after Nice on the Mediterrenean Sea.  

Joyeux No?l,

Laurent

Ah, I love the Cote d'Azur.  My wife and I spent a quick four days in Nice and Cannes, and the immediate surrounding area.  We can't wait to get back there.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 10:24:13 PM »
Well, the next time you'll come over let me know
I'll take you to eat some Socca ( chick pea flower pancakes)
in the old town of Nice. We also have a new tramway and redid the mainsquare, it looks better than ever before.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »
Christmas day was just Mrs Charby and myself. My wife's birthday is also Christmas so I asked her what she wanted to eat, she said ham and scalloped tators or something grilled.

I grilled out a couple pork chops and a ham steak, baked scalloped tators in the oven and made a simple cold pasta salad. She decided she wanted mac and cheese also, and made this mac, cheese and corn concoction in the crock pot.

I also talked her into going out deer hunting with me in the afternoon, bad mistake because she made more noise that a platoon of cooking pot carrying boy scouts. I only saw one deer at 150 yards and my muzzleloader is sighted in at 50 yards.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536