Author Topic: Hypermiling  (Read 9895 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Hypermiling
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »
Anyone else trying this?  From 30mpg to 40 on the way in to work, and about 30 from 23 on the way home.  All without emitting a cloud of smug.  Actually, I'm not emitting anything, since the car's off much of the time...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Hypermiling
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »
From what I've heard, it's a good way to get hit in the rear, or to hear a lot of horns.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »
From what I've heard, it's a good way to get hit in the rear, or to hear a lot of horns.

I've heard this as well.  I (personally) don't wish to sacrifice safety to save a few bucks.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »

I've heard this as well.  I (personally) don't wish to sacrifice safety to save a few bucks.

It's actually not that much of a variation on my normal driving.  Usually hitting the speed limit and slapping it into neutral on the downhill on surface roads.  Difference now is to kill the engine on the downhill and roll-start when I need to and leave 5 minutes early from work (unbelievable the difference in traffic.).  In five years driving my current route, I've had people pass me on a double stripe maybe twice a year just to meet them at the stoplight a mile down the road. 

I won't do it on an interstate, though.  You would get your ass run over.  I'll do it on backroads, but not to the same extent.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
Difference now is to kill the engine on the downhill

Uh. I don't know about you, but I can't turn my car off with the key unless it's in "P", which locks the steering. That is to ensure that you cannot start the vehicle while it's in gear, letting it take off unexpectedly.

Why on earth would you want to be messing with the ignition while coming off a hill, anway? Talk about a distraction.

Also, there are FEW things more infuriating than some slowpoke going 20mph below the speed limit on a double-line two lane back road! If you're going so slow that you're causing people to illegally pass you on a double yellow, you're presenting a hazard, since they could have a head-on.

If you're that worried about mileage to take it to that extreme, either:

1) Don't drive
2) Bus

smiley

Drive the car as it's designed to be driven. IMO.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 12:01:14 PM »
We used to call that "Mexican Overdrive".

My 1960 Chevy Apache 20 would actually go faster downhill using the technique. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:19:14 PM »
Difference now is to kill the engine on the downhill

Uh. I don't know about you, but I can't turn my car off with the key unless it's in "P", which locks the steering. That is to ensure that you cannot start the vehicle while it's in gear, letting it take off unexpectedly.

Why on earth would you want to be messing with the ignition while coming off a hill, anway? Talk about a distraction.

Also, there are FEW things more infuriating than some slowpoke going 20mph below the speed limit on a double-line two lane back road! If you're going so slow that you're causing people to illegally pass you on a double yellow, you're presenting a hazard, since they could have a head-on.

If you're that worried about mileage to take it to that extreme, either:

1) Don't drive
2) Bus

smiley

Drive the car as it's designed to be driven. IMO.
To clarify:
1.  I'm not going below the speed limit.  I hate that, too.  I'm not forcing anyone to pass me.  It's the jackholes that are wanting to go 45 in a 30 to hurry up and wait at the next light.  cf. Biker post.
2.  I'm driving a stick.  I don't think you can roll-start an automatic.
3.  Killing the engine on a long downhill is something I've been doing since high school and didn't have enough money to keep the tank full when diesel.  I'd have to back and check the distance, but I've driven the speed limit with the engine off for over 15 minutes coming back in to Denver in college.  Not something to do in traffic, but if you've got the space around you.

I've actually seen the biggest gains by leaving 5 minutes early from work.  It's worth about 6mpg.  This isn't a treehugging thing, or even necessarily a monetary thing.  It's just a different way of driving.  Consciously planning when I'm going to hit the next light keeps my mind engaged.  It's less distracting than you think.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »
what do you drive that won't let you turn it off in neutral?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 12:29:08 PM »
what do you drive that won't let you turn it off in neutral?
Probably an automatic.  You can turn it off, but I don't think you can start it on the move without using the starter since there's no clutch to pop.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »
i see... to make it safer for the children
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 12:45:46 PM »
I guess you are in a unique situation where you have favorable downhill runs.  I don't.  All flat down here along the Gulf Coast.  If I tried to coast my truck, I would slow down. 

As fas as poking along to coast to stop lights, sometimes I do that, sometimes I don't.  Going faster, sometimes you make the light, sometimes you don't.  I have always thought it was 50/50.  It really depends on the stop lights where you are. 

I only have a 7 mile commute one way so I am not driving far these days.  The 3 school zones I pass through during the school year slow me down a lot anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »
I guess you are in a unique situation where you have favorable downhill runs.  I don't.  All flat down here along the Gulf Coast.  If I tried to coast my truck, I would slow down. 

As fas as poking along to coast to stop lights, sometimes I do that, sometimes I don't.  Going faster, sometimes you make the light, sometimes you don't.  I have always thought it was 50/50.  It really depends on the stop lights where you are. 

I only have a 7 mile commute one way so I am not driving far these days.  The 3 school zones I pass through during the school year slow me down a lot anyway.
I'm in North Texas.  Part of the difference in mileage to/from work has to do with the downhill runs.  A lot of it has to do with the fact that when school's not in session, I can leave whenever I please.  It's usually just me on the road at 6:30.  I've noticed even on the flat stuff, if you can get up to 10% (or what you feel comfortable with YMMV;)) over, you can coast until you hit the speed limit, pop start it, and repeat.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 03:13:22 PM »
Hypermiling is for people with a hell of a lot more patience than me.  rolleyes
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »

I'm in North Texas.  Part of the difference in mileage to/from work has to do with the downhill runs.  A lot of it has to do with the fact that when school's not in session, I can leave whenever I please.  It's usually just me on the road at 6:30.  I've noticed even on the flat stuff, if you can get up to 10% (or what you feel comfortable with YMMV;)) over, you can coast until you hit the speed limit, pop start it, and repeat.

I take it you have a vehicle with no power steering and no power assist for the brakes? If not, when something happens and you suddenly need them (you never know what's gonna happen, nor can you always be prepared for it), you are going to be in trouble. No, I don't believe you'd have time to pop start it in a real emergency, beside the fact it's probably illegal (I know it is in 18 wheelers) and you'd be setting yourself up for a large ticket, or worse, if someone were gravely injured due to using that technique.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
That's why it was fun in my '60 Chevy.  No power steering, no power brakes, piece of cake.  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 05:38:07 PM »
The trick is to only drive on downhill roads. Wink

Congress should pass a law that says that all roads have to be downhill  laugh

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
Congress should pass a law that says that all roads have to be downhill

Would you be terribly surprised if they did? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
Tried something similar to that back in... 2005, I think it was.  Was driving from Roswell to Alamogordo, NM, and was coming down through the mountains.  In a '94 Crown Vic, in neutral, going 70-ish, steering was a whole 'nother experience.  Was really weird as to how silent it was (aside rfom evceryone else in the carr yelling at me to "turn it the @#*(& back ON already!!!").  Total elapsed time was about 1.5 - 2 min.

Never again...  sad  Probably did a hell of a lot of damage to the transmission when I kicked it out of neutral.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:27 PM »
I'm not sure how DPS would know you're doing it, but it is illegal here in Texas.

Transportation Code § 545.406.  COASTING.  (a)  An operator moving on a downgrade may not coast with the gears or transmission of the vehicle in neutral.
For entertainment purposes only.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 11:24:01 PM »
I'm not sure how DPS would know you're doing it, but it is illegal here in Texas.

Transportation Code § 545.406.  COASTING.  (a)  An operator moving on a downgrade may not coast with the gears or transmission of the vehicle in neutral.

If you have an accident, it's a rather serious conviction, I believe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
Dale Jr. just won the Michigan race yesterday by doing this. laugh
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:59 AM »
I guess I'm one of the few drivers that consider the engine an important safety feature.....

Sounds like hypermiling is a great way to transfer your gas savings to your mechanic to replace all the hyper-worn parts (transmission, belts, starter, etc.) you're gonna have....

Wanna save gas? Pick a route with the fewest stops and keep your cruise at about 55-60mph (where legal). Leave earlier if you have to. Works for me....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 05:22:16 AM »

If you have an accident, it's a rather serious conviction, I believe.

Also, if you have an accident, there's a real good chance the vehicle will be in the same state it was before the accident. Out of gear and ignition in the off position.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 05:41:03 AM »
I drive a manual transmission, and I've been known to coast in neutral for short distances. Never turned the engine off, however.

I'm wondering Xavier, do you have power steering or brakes? If so, this is a really bad idea. Coasting in neutral is one thing, disabling your steering and brakes to enhance mileage is another entirely.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 05:42:37 AM »
One of the articles about this, the guy was proud of the fact that, with a stock sedan, he usually took 25mph ramps at 50mph, tires screeching, so he wouldn't have to use brakes and reduce mileage.

I think for some people, this is a form of OCD.