Author Topic: Holy Human Trebuchet, Batman!  (Read 7037 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Holy Human Trebuchet, Batman!
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »
at the distance they were tossing people in the video, it looks like fun.
Except of course when you miss the net.

Ah yeah, I guess a belly flop would hurt like heck, I was imagining I could do a somersault then dive gracefully into the water.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 10:47:57 PM »
Ahem.  According to Wikipedia: "Sodium reacts exothermically with water."

Wikipedia doesn't do the process justice by calling it merely "exothermic".   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD85OUkEKKw  See the small amounts they were using?  Theoretically, imagine a chunk the size of a loaf of bread going into a pond.

As for thermite...   Well...  ahem.  Theoretically, when making thermite, you want to be sober.  If you are not sober, you might add too much of one ingredient.  So you pour in another ingredient to the appropriate level.  But you poured too much of that in, so you pour in the other to "level it off".  Repeat about...  30 times. Theoretically. 

Whoa.  Will you be my neighbor someday?  =D
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 10:55:04 PM »
Whoa.  Will you be my neighbor someday?  =D

I'm already sending you strange packages with tools, forensics samples and cash.   You SURE you want to be any closer than the opposite side of the country?   =D

I ahd friends like you to way back when.  It was a lot of fun most of the time, but it also had it's disadvantages.  Like trying to explain to your parents how you managed to get the local SWAT team called out on you.

They get used to it after the third or fourth agency.  You have two tricks that you can successfully use if you're GOING to get the police or feds knocking on your parents' door.  a) involve so many different agencies they just get used to it or b) make your activities so bizarre no one in their right mind would take it seriously.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 11:44:30 PM »
That much sodium must be damned expensive. Still...  :angel: :laugh:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 12:02:38 AM »
aprpos to nothin at all where would one get sodium? and how expensive?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:14:35 AM by Balog »

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 12:13:05 AM »
Theoretically, imagine a chunk the size of a loaf of bread going into a pond.

Water cannon indeed.  Yikes. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 12:13:34 AM »
$317 for... 454g

The theoretical loaf in question was a couple kilos.  ...  Which theoretically burned up in seconds.

It theoretically was worth it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 12:15:11 AM »
We need to petition Mythbusters to test this...

Also, http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/256004545/Sodium_Metal.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:18:15 AM by Balog »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 12:23:30 AM »
Yeah, if you're into bread loaf sized chunks you're probably better off going through an industrial supplier.

• friends
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 12:27:41 AM »
hypothetically  how far away should one stand from that?  said the guy who lives on a 200 foot tall bluff over a decent sized river
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 12:31:49 AM »
We had a crazy old chemistry teacher at my high school, who told tales of slowly, oh so slowly building his own chunk of potassium through some chemical process.  He said it was rather exciting when it came time for the creature to be baptized. 

I presume there is a way of doing the same for sodium, but when we presume, we make a pres out of u and me. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »
hypothetically  how far away should one stand from that?  said the guy who lives on a 200 foot tall bluff over a decent sized river

That has a LOT of potential.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
That has a LOT of potential.

its great for determining range capability with different loads in a tater cannon     though i aspire to greatness wanna build a schedule 80 hybrid cannon with a 10 foot golf ball rifled barrel.  my goal is to hit the crosses on st michaels island in md...  from across the river in va

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
its great for determining range capability with different loads in a tater cannon     though i aspire to greatness wanna build a schedule 80 hybrid cannon with a 10 foot golf ball rifled barrel.  my goal is to hit the crosses on st michaels island in md...  from across the river in va

"FORE!!"

Acetone has so many uses.

One of them is to clean the barrel of urethane foam guns.  See, once you attach a can of foam to the gun, you can't remove the can without ruining the gun unless you A) attach another can of foam immediately, or B) attach a "cleaning" can, and spray it until all traces of foam are purged from the device.  The "cleaning" can is nothing more than a pressurized can of acetone.  And when you are purging the foam from the gun, it tends to create a spray of atomized acetone in a cloud which I would conservatively estimate to be about 15 feet long and 5 feet in diameter.  The instructions on the can contain the words "OUT DOORS" in many places.

Now, word to the wise: If you even have an inkling to aim such a device at an open flame, I suggest you do not do so inside your boss' 20-foot tool trailer, but if you do, make sure he is the kind of boss who has a sense of humor about seeing the back doors of said trailer blow open as a slightly-less-hairy and slightly-more-stinky employee falls backwards out of it.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 01:17:55 PM »
"FORE!!"

Acetone has so many uses.

One of them is to clean the barrel of urethane foam guns.  See, once you attach a can of foam to the gun, you can't remove the can without ruining the gun unless you A) attach another can of foam immediately, or B) attach a "cleaning" can, and spray it until all traces of foam are purged from the device.  The "cleaning" can is nothing more than a pressurized can of acetone.  And when you are purging the foam from the gun, it tends to create a spray of atomized acetone in a cloud which I would conservatively estimate to be about 15 feet long and 5 feet in diameter.  The instructions on the can contain the words "OUT DOORS" in many places.

Now, word to the wise: If you even have an inkling to aim such a device at an open flame, I suggest you do not do so inside your boss' 20-foot tool trailer, but if you do, make sure he is the kind of boss who has a sense of humor about seeing the back doors of said trailer blow open as a slightly-less-hairy and slightly-more-stinky employee falls backwards out of it.

Ahhhh... that reminds me of my college days.

We replaced the furniture in our house. This left a 70's MASSIVE chair sitting on our front porch. My housemates decide it must be sacrificed in our bonfire ring. (We lived out in the country about a mile from college.)

My one housemate goes and fills one of those 3 gallon containers of gas. He then proceeds to douse the chair in the ENTIRE CONTAINER full of gas.

He lights a piece of paper and sets it upon the chairs seat cushion and runs to a safe distance (where I am standing).

After about 10-15 seconds of nothing happening, he turns to me and says, "Hey, would you go move that paper so the chair will actually catch?"

My response involved something about hell freezing over. So, he goes to move the paper.

As he gets to the chair and is bending down, what he now describes as a massive rumble begins. He has enough time to spin AWAY from the chair and approximate the fetal position while standing up. As I watch, the ensuing fireball engulfs him and extends ALMOST all the way to where I was standing.

Needless to say, I was a little worried.

FORTUNATELY, all that happened was he went sans leg and arm hair for a few months. AND I got a nice illustration about patience... and fire safety... and a cool explosion.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
Or throw him in the Pacific and see how many times he skips.

If you could somehow mount it sideways.....

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »

Have gun, will travel
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
Sodium Party.  =D

Be sure to scroll down for all the videos.
I promise not to duck.