Author Topic: Lost on Lake Vostok  (Read 5159 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Lost on Lake Vostok
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »
I could swear I read a zombie story involving something like this, where they penetrated into the buried for millions of years lake and loosed upon the world the Zombie Apocalypse virus. That or maybe they uncovered the Antarctic Stargate.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/02/02/russian-scientists-lost-in-frozen-land-lost/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Lost on Lake Vostok
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
Didn't the last version of Phirania have an element like this in it?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »

When the winter arrives in the next few weeks, the temperature can get twice as freezing. 

Twice as freezing?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »
Twice as zero is moar than 9000 less than divide by zero double plus one.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
Nnooooo! Do not divide by Zero! You will d00m us all!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
I like how they describe kerosene in the article, like folks don't have a clue about kerosene.

I wonder if a comrade lit up a cigarette and burned everyone up with 65 tons of Kerosene.

Or did a John Carpenter movie become a true story?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
I'd think 65 tons of kerosene burning on an ice shelf would create on helluva thermal bloom, big enough for satellites to easily detect.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
That writer is in serious need of a vocabulary.

"lost in the land of the lost"  ;/

Why not "missing in the land of the lost" or "disappeared in the land of the lost" ?

You guys can bitch and moan all you want about grammer. I'll take on the diction fails.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:07:11 PM »
. "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock
Nnooooo! Do not divide by Zero! You will d00m us all!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
I like how they describe kerosene in the article, like folks don't have a clue about kerosene.

I thought that was funny too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 02:13:41 PM »
I'd think 65 tons of kerosene burning on an ice shelf would create on helluva thermal bloom, big enough for satellites to easily detect.

Brad

Its only 18,500ish gallons of fuel oil, that is about a 1/3 of a oil refinery tank. I'm not sure if something like that on fire under ice would show up on a satellite, maybe if it happened at night.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »
why are we blowing up kerosene?

Technically, these dude's are not lost. They know approxamatly where the scientist are. The officials just don't know what has happened to them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »
why are we blowing up kerosene?

I think they burned themselves up.

They are using kerosene as an antifreeze to keep the drill hole from closing.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:29:39 PM »
I think they burned themselves up.

They are using kerosene as an antifreeze to keep the drill hole from closing.

Well, that would be kind of stupid of them. It's not like water, but kerosene isn't the most volitile of fuel types.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
I could swear I read a zombie story involving something like this, where they penetrated into the buried for millions of years lake and loosed upon the world the Zombie Apocalypse virus. That or maybe they uncovered the Antarctic Stargate.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/02/02/russian-scientists-lost-in-frozen-land-lost/?intcmp=features

John W. Campbell's classic "Who Goes There?"  (the source of the Carpenter movie).

A group of scientific researchers, isolated in Antarctica by the nearly-ended winter, discover an alien spaceship buried in the ice, where it crashed twenty million years before....
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
John W. Campbell's classic "Who Goes There?"  (the source of the Carpenter movie).

"The Thing,"  made in the '50s with James Arness as carrot man from space and again in the 80s by Carpenter.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 10:22:35 PM »
They stumbled on the Aliens and the Predators duking it out in their Antarctic base.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 12:52:31 AM »
Well, that would be kind of stupid of them. It's not like water, but kerosene isn't the most volitile of fuel types.

I'm trying to think how to respond to this... Lets see harsh cold environment, kerosene doesn't freeze, high flash point, floats on water.. hmmmm

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
Twice as freezing?

64F, but somehow, still 0C.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 06:13:32 AM »
I'm trying to think how to respond to this... Lets see harsh cold environment, kerosene doesn't freeze, high flash point, floats on water.. hmmmm

Doesn't it gel somewhere around -40?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »
Its only 18,500ish gallons of fuel oil, that is about a 1/3 of a oil refinery tank. I'm not sure if something like that on fire under ice would show up on a satellite, maybe if it happened at night.

Mate, they've had satellites that could read your license plate from orbit for thirty or forty years. The stuff up there today can probably pick up a cigarette, never mind a refinery burning up. Against a thermal backdrop of "very cold."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
Mate, they've had satellites that could read your license plate from orbit for thirty or forty years. The stuff up there today can probably pick up a cigarette, never mind a refinery burning up. Against a thermal backdrop of "very cold."

Can't tell if serious. . .
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »
Problem is that not many, if any are in that severe a polar orbit to image the Lake Vostok area.

They probably have an orbital inclination of more like 30-45 degrees to cover the more inhabited continents that contain nations, people, militaries, and weapons of interest.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »
They found something and have snuck back to Moscow to keep the secret from getting out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams