Author Topic: Just when you thought it couldn't get any stranger out there.  (Read 3660 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Just when you thought it couldn't get any stranger out there.
« on: August 28, 2006, 11:06:43 AM »
Flag 12-year-old gave to parents as gift spawns protests

MEADE, Kan. -- A 12-year-old's gift to his parents _ a brightly colored flag that he said reminded him of Kansas and the Wizard of Oz _ has spawned one of the biggest controversies to hit this town of 1,600 people in a long time.

On Sunday, Police Chief Loren Borger, his colleagues and 16 troopers from the Kansas Highway Patrol kept an eye on protests over the rainbow-colored nylon banner that J.R. and Robin Knight decided to fly on the flagpole in front of their business, the Lakeway Hotel.

Townspeople gathered on downtown corners with their video cameras Sunday morning to watch as members of a Topeka-based church _ whose protests of funerals of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq spawned restrictive legislation in a number of states _ picketed the hotel because of the flag and five local churches for not doing enough to keep it from flying in their town.

While the flag reminded the Knights' young son of Dorothy and Toto, it's also recognized as a symbol of gay pride. Robin Knight said she and her husband didn't put the flag up to make a political statement, but rather because "it has pretty colors, it's bright, it's summery."

Soon after the flag went up, the local newspaper ran a picture of the banner on its front page, noting its significance in the gay community. Afterward, someone threw two bricks at the bed and breakfast, one of which broke through a window and destroyed two neon signs.

When someone cut the flag down, the Knights ordered two more and said they'll buy even more if they have to.

On Sunday, as the daughter of Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps protested with 10 of her 11 children, three brothers and two sisters, onlookers shook their heads at the spectacle.

"It's just not right," said Suzan Seybert, a 30-year resident of the southwest Kansas community, as she watched Shirley Phelps-Roper's children chanting about homosexuals burning in hell. "I think it's despicable to start to teach your children at such a young age the word 'hate'. It's just the worst thing you can do."

Mike Thompson, who teaches a class at Colby Community College on the sociology of discrimination, brought some of his students to see the protests. Among them was Kati Near, who grew up in Meade.

"I think a lot of people think we're all just a bunch of bigots," she said, adding that she was embarrassed by what was going on in her hometown.

From the balcony off the honeymoon suite of his bed and breakfast, J.R. Knight blared music such as Starship's "Nothing's Going to Stop Us Now." Nearby, in the Lakeway's parking lot, a car's bumper sticker read, "Kansas: As bigoted as you think," which is a play on the state's "As big as you think" motto.

Robin Knight said earlier this month that the anger spawned by the colorful flag has strengthened the family's resolve to keep the banner flying, noting that caving in to the pressure would send the wrong message to her son.

"It's our business," she said. "It shouldn't be dictated by other people.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 11:11:15 AM »
WTF? Meade, KS is all one can really say about that.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:11:32 AM »
I guess there isn't a lot to do in Meade.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:20:55 AM »
Two (or three) reasons why a heterosexist such as myself is glad they're flying the rainbow flag.

1.  They're distracting the Phelpsies from a funeral somewhere.

2.  It's time to take back the rainbow.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Two (or three) reasons why a heterosexist such as myself is glad they're flying the rainbow flag.

1- Agreed.

2- Yup, and there's a place in the Bible where it says after the flood, God placed his bow in the clouds as a symbol of his promise not to destroy the earth and mankind again. He didn't say anything about gay pride.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:58:47 PM »
They shouldn't be protested for flying the flag.

They SHOULD be protested for playing anything from Starship.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 03:15:49 PM »
Agreed.  I really like the rainbow.  It really pains me that is has been co-opted by the forces of evil.  (And before someone comments to the contrary, I agree that Phelps & Co. are also evil.)

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 05:48:01 PM »
The proper term for the Phelps cult is indeed "forces of evil".

Proper term for gays...I dunno, "forces of buttbonkery" maybe but "evil"?  Sheesh.  Seems a silly thing to worry about.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 06:58:34 PM »
He didn't say anything about gay pride.
But where does He say "Let he who is without sin cast the first brick"?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 07:01:49 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba
But where does He say "Let he who is without sin cast the first brick"?
Nowhere, if you're Jewish.  Smiley

Quote from: JimMarch
  Seems a silly thing to worry about.
Taking the principled opposition of conservatives and recasting it as fear or hatred: an ingenius trick that has served the left well.  I doubt very much you're a lefty, Jim.  All the more reason you shouldn't go along with their hogwash.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 01:22:17 AM »
It isn't "lefty" to simply not care who else boinks who, as long as it's consenting adults.

Saying that the "who boinks who" decision on a consenting adult basis is linked to "evil" is silly, in my opinion.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 01:40:21 AM »
Ya know, generally I'm opposed to the throwing of rocks at people.  But in the case of one Fred Phelps and his progeny/followers, I'm willing to make an exemption.  They have become such a pestilent flock of fools....
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 12:00:38 PM »

I agree.  What's the connection between rainbows and being gay, anyway?  Shouldn't they have a flag with two universal men's room symbols (the stick figure looking guys) on it?

From the balcony off the honeymoon suite of his bed and breakfast, J.R. Knight blared music such as Starship's "Nothing's Going to Stop Us Now."
Now that's pretty gay.

Shouldn't they have played "Over the Rainbow" and the Muppet's "Rainbow Connection"?
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 02:29:48 PM »
Quote from: JimMarch
It isn't "lefty" to simply not care who else boinks who, as long as it's consenting adults.

Saying that the "who boinks who" decision on a consenting adult basis is linked to "evil" is silly, in my opinion.
What I said, Jim, is that you characterized 1911owner's moral convictions as fear.  This is a lie, or at least a projection, of the left, that you should not buy into.

But then, it's kind of silly for you to judge another for judging.  Smiley

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 05:53:41 PM »
worry is different than fear...

TWISTING WORDS A TACTIC THE LEFT WOULD USE THUS YOU'RE WRONG

May the fetus you save be gay!
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 08:04:14 PM »
I have no idea why anybody would care about any form of unconventional boinking between OTHER consenting adults.  I suspect fear is involved in some cases, probably not all. I don't know.  Paying the matter any concern whatsoever is silly at best, purely psychotic to the degree the Phelps cult takes it.

Hell, the mentality that would concern itself with other people's boinking preferences is far more alien to my personal mindset than same-sex boinking.

Is this clear yet?  They boink funny.  So what?  What in God's name is your interest or anybody else's, esp. the government's interest?

Do you WANT a government powerful enough to interest itself in something as inconsequential as private consentual boinking!?  Have you pondered what ELSE such a force might poke it's nose into?

There's -=way=- more troubling things going on in the world than unconventional boinking.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »
I'm getting used to this, now.  There is a whole range of things I disapprove of but would not care to outlaw - homosexuality being one of them, ranch dressing and grown men wearing shorts are a couple more.  Please see my new signature.  Sakes alive.  

It's really very funny that you get so terribly interested in what I think about other people.  Paying the matter any concern whatsoever is silly at best, purely psychotic to the degree that you take it.  OK, exagerating a bit there, but I hope you get the point.  If you can criticize my beliefs, then I can criticize the behavior of other people.  Isn't that fair?

I should add that it's rather sad to see a smart guy like yourself pretend that sexual behavior is devoid of consequences.  You should also be aware that sexual perversions and addictions usually proceed from some deeper problem; some unmet need or childhood abuse.  They don't exist in a vacuum, but reflect a problem with the whole person.  In other words, these people need help, not indifference.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »
The fact that I denounce it, doesn't mean I want to outlaw it.  Don't jump to conclusions.
Excellent.

Man, you don't know how often I could say that.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
I have to.  Too many knee-jerk libertarians out there, ready to cry, "Statist!"

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 10:48:01 PM »
Jim, what I have a problem with is people who want to force us to accept as "good", something that the Lord has declared is evil.  Something that is so evil that he destroyed Sodom, Gomorrah, and the other cities of the plain because of it.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 05:41:03 AM »
Jim, what I have a problem with is people who want to force us to accept as "good", something that the Lord has declared is evil.
I don't think anyone wants you to accept it as "good." Most gays and most libertarians simply want you to accept it as "none of your damn business."
D. R. ZINN

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 06:34:31 AM »
something that the Lord has declared is evil.
Exactly how I feel about hog roasts!

Cheesy

Good for you, Fistful. Lots of things I'd rather didn't exist, but would fight to the death to keep legal.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 06:47:04 AM »
Quote from: Barbara
What's wrong with hog roasts?

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Nothing's wrong with hog roasts as long as you like pork. If you don't like pork, why bother. It don't mean there oughta be a law against it.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 01:23:17 PM »
Quote from: mustanger98
Quote from: The Rabbi
Nothing's wrong with hog roasts as long as you like pork and you're not Jewish or Muslim. If you don't like pork, why bother. It don't mean there oughta be a law against it.
Fixed it for you.