Author Topic: Just when you thought it couldn't get any stranger out there.  (Read 3659 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Just when you thought it couldn't get any stranger out there.
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 01:25:49 PM »
I'll never forget the used Fiat wagon I boght in Cali with the rainbow decal in the back window. I was a hippy type (sans tambourine) so I thought, "Cool, a rainbow decal!" I drove that car for YEARS before I found out that the rainbow was a gay pride symbol. Kept it there afterward anyways, I like rainbows...

Doesn't mean I'm gay, I don't think... shocked

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 01:27:12 PM »
But what if you ARE Jewish or Muslim and you DO like pork? There's a quandry... Cheesy

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 01:44:31 PM »
What if you're Jewish or Muslim, and you're a cop?

Tongue

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 01:51:07 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Quote from: mustanger98
Quote from: The Rabbi
What's wrong with hog roasts?
Nothing's wrong with hog roasts as long as you like pork and you're not Jewish or Muslim. If you don't like pork, why bother. It don't mean there oughta be a law against it.
Fixed it for you.
I thought of that too, but I was also figuring there's more than one way to dislike pork as you just illustrated... either don't like the taste or texture or something, or dislike it based on religious conviction.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 01:52:19 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
But what if you ARE Jewish or Muslim and you DO like pork? There's a quandry... Cheesy
I have run into a Jew who didn't mind pork. It surprised me. But then, not everybody has the same idea of what's kosher.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »
Perhaps Rabbi's point was that Jews don't necessarily "dislike" pork; that's not the same as having a moral conviction against it.  Sometimes things appeal to you, but you don't do them because you believe they are wrong.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 01:54:50 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Perhaps Rabbi's point was that Jews don't necessarily "dislike" pork; that's not the same as having a moral conviction against it.  Sometimes things appeal to you, but you don't do them because you believe they are wrong.
See my post #32.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 08:40:51 PM »
mustanger, I was responding to your post number 32, and I'll raise you a post 36.  I like the idea of "having" as many beautiful young ladies as possible, but I believe it is wrong.  So no matter how much I like it, I still think it's wrong.  A Jew's religious prohibition on pork (or anyone's moral view of anything) is not a matter of like or dislike, but of ascent to an external law.  If one's likes and dislikes correspend to your moral code, so much the better.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 09:11:58 PM »
My moral code is to do what makes me happy (not necessarily what feels good) unless it directly and measurably damages other people.

This includes not getting my boxer briefs in a bunch about other people's sexual behavior. Like monogamy. Seriously, what idiot thought of that idea? That's completely wrong, people should be free from constraints! Actually, I read a book that was written along time ago that said that it was wrong, so it must be, and thus I'm going to denounce it.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 09:13:59 PM »
Quote from: doczinn
I don't think anyone wants you to accept it as "good."
Not true.  A good many homosexuals and their sympathizers are rather insistent on gaining acceptance from society.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 09:22:33 PM »
That's why in the next sentence I qualified it by saying what I think most gays and most libertarians want. True, there are some gays who are so asinine as to be offended that I don't like what they do because I find it disgusting. And there are some libertarians so moronic as to believe we must accept all people as the same, even if we find the type of sex they engage in to be disgusting. But they're in the minority.
D. R. ZINN

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 09:23:19 PM »
Sorry, doc.  I thought when you said "anyone" you meant "anyone."

Quote from: Winston Smith
My moral code is to do what makes me happy (not necessarily what feels good) unless it directly and measurably damages other people.
So pleasing yourself is your highest goal?  That will leave you hollow, my friend.  I was talking about an external law, by the way, not one that comes from your own impulses.  

This includes not getting my boxer briefs in a bunch about other people's sexual behavior. Like monogamy. Seriously, what idiot thought of that idea? That's completely wrong, people should be free from constraints! Actually, I read a book that was written along time ago that said that it was wrong, so it must be, and thus I'm going to denounce it.
So you won't care about "two consenting adults," but you get "bunched" over my point of view, over the constraints I choose, and over my reliance on an old book?  How do you decide what you should care about?  Are you actually trying to tell me monogamy is wrong, or are you joking?  By the way, that constraint business is called self-control.  I could tag whatever willing female was handy, but then I could also chainsmoke and eat like a pig.  None of the three are healthy.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 09:36:46 PM »
Well, there's your mistake.
D. R. ZINN

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 10:41:36 PM »
I have run into a Jew who didn't mind pork. It surprised me. But then, not everybody has the same idea of what's kosher
Yes, I have found there to be various levels of Kosher and I know plenty of Jewish folk who'll sit right down and gobble up a fair porton of my slow roasted baby backs. But I also throw a turkey on the grill for those who won't. Just like any other religion there are those who adhere in varying degrees.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 10:46:52 PM »
I've also had plenty of homosexual friends over the years. Personally, I couldn't care less what they do behind closed doors. It's none of my business. As long as they understand I'm NOT a homosexual and I make that clear from the get go.

"You may be gay, but I'm NOT!" usually does the trick. Tongue

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 10:56:36 PM »
Fistful, my briefs are in a bunch about you saying it's "RIGHT" and not "RIGHT FOR ME"

No monogamy is not wrong inherently, monogamy is WRONG FOR ME RIGHT NOW.

Yes, being happy and spreading said happiness is my highest moral goal. Being happy is important because you can't transmit something you haven't got. I've been religious in my past and still felt hollow. Now i'm just moderately spiritual and I feel pretty darn good.

I just go through life assuming that what people do is what they want to do. And I respect them just the same as they respect me. And I don't say WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG unless it tangibly harms me or another.

Your beliefs tangibly harm others because it denies them the ability and freedom to fully enjoy equivalent status in their relationships that happen to be with the same gender.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »
But I also throw a turkey on the grill for those who won't.
Same grill?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »
Quote from: Iain
But I also throw a turkey on the grill for those who won't.
Same grill?
hahaha
Jack
APS #22
Right?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2006, 01:45:22 AM »
Same grill?
Sure, there's plenty of room so we don't get turkey on our pork or pork on our turkey. No complaints yet anyhoo...