Author Topic: Buy it cheap while you can  (Read 8988 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Buy it cheap while you can
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
I'd advise the same for powder and primers, not to mention non-AR mags etc. Couldn't even get 1911 mags at a lot of places for a while.

I don't shoot anything that requires mags thank $DEITY.  As for primers and powder, I'm very well stocked on primers (more than a decade's worth at current rates of consumption).  I'm mostly good on powder except for my "go to" powder for my 6.5x55.  I have enough to get through the next year or more though.  What I learned from all this is to not standardize on a single powder (ie pet load) and NOT stockpile it.  I have many alternatives on my shelves, just not with loads worked up. I have somewhere around 12k rounds of 22lr, mostly procured before the first panic.

What I lack these days is time to shoot, which is another reason I'm not adding more guns to the stable.  I have pretty much every "need" covered anyway.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15:04 AM »
Ares Defense SCR is the way to go when it comes out. Everything else looks very weird (hammerhead stock adapter, monsterman grip, Exile machine thing).

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/10/video-unreleased-ares-defense-scr-surfaces/

Sounds great, as long as they aren't all butchered, like the Saigas.

Would also like to see it with wood furniture.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »
Unless the supreme court starts striking down AW bans, there WILL be more runs...

There are several times in the last 10 years you could have easily doubled your money selling a gun to panickers.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
Stupid question time.  Is there such thing as AR furniture without a pistol grip?  (yeah, I know Mini-14)  I mean something kinda like a Mini that you can make with AR receivers and mags.  Extra points if it's walnut.

I would expect something like that might be legal in CA (but I could be way wrong) if the only "feature" was the detachable magazine.  Either way, it would confuse ppl so that's a plus :D

Monsterman grips. Not wood though.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »
There are several times in the last 10 years you could have easily doubled your money selling a gun to panickers.

Yup.  I built my first and only AR after the sunset in 2004.  I sold a well-used AR (few thousand rounds through it), some ammo, and accessories to a panicky buyer for a nice profit (over what I originally paid for everything) in 2008.  I turned that money into a 20g SxS shotgun, S&W M17-2 revolver, and a couch.  I've received more satisfaction from those two guns and the couch (excellent napping couch) than I ever did from the AR.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »
If we weren't buying a new house, I'd be building another AR now. 
As a bonus, the new place will have enough room for a well and proper work bench, which will also be a great reloading bench.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 11:43:20 AM »
I don't shoot anything that requires mags thank $DEITY.  As for primers and powder, I'm very well stocked on primers (more than a decade's worth at current rates of consumption).  I'm mostly good on powder except for my "go to" powder for my 6.5x55.  I have enough to get through the next year or more though.  What I learned from all this is to not standardize on a single powder (ie pet load) and NOT stockpile it.  I have many alternatives on my shelves, just not with loads worked up. I have somewhere around 12k rounds of 22lr, mostly procured before the first panic.

What I lack these days is time to shoot, which is another reason I'm not adding more guns to the stable.  I have pretty much every "need" covered anyway.

Chris

So, if I'm reading all of your posts right, it's less "I'm glad I'm not into AR's" and more "I'm glad I'm already stocked up for a decade on the stuff I like." Pretty sure that solution works for people who like AR's too.  ;)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »
So, if I'm reading all of your posts right, it's less "I'm glad I'm not into AR's" and more "I'm glad I'm already stocked up for a decade on the stuff I like." Pretty sure that solution works for people who like AR's too.  ;)

Nah, it's more along the lines that I'm glad I'm not into a platform that is so fully in the sights of gun banners that I feel compelled to buy guns and related supplies to combat the fear that they may be banned at any moment.  It's a roller coaster ride I don't feel compelled to hop onto. 

That I'm fairly well stocked on consumables says more about my mental wiring with regard to consumables in general than anything specific to guns. 

As for guns and collecting, while I feel I'm a fairly knowledgeable student of S&W revolvers and their history,  my collection started to feel gratuitous when I realized I was buying guns that would only be shot infrequently.  I decided not to add any more unless they were truly special ones like the K32 I bought last year.

Chris

erictank

• friends
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
Might need to find a way to shake out a few bucks and get another AR-15 lower, and that AR-10 lower I've been meaning to get. Maybe 80%ers for both? Don't have a machine shop myself, but...

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
I've actually got the pats and 80% lowers for two AR's waiting for me at home right now. That brings me to 5 total. The problem is that they are all different and I wouldn't want to dump any of them for a fast buck. After I fund my .308 general purpose rifle I might look at picking up some spikes lowers to stock away. From watching the crazies the best ROI would probably be complete Colt 69whatever's.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
Might need to find a way to shake out a few bucks and get another AR-15 lower, and that AR-10 lower I've been meaning to get. Maybe 80%ers for both? Don't have a machine shop myself, but...

Complete with jigs: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/stealth-arms-ar-15-80-forged-kit.aspx?a=1681932

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
That's a crap jig. I've been obsessing over the 80% stuff for a while now. The good jigs have steel inserts around the do holes to help with longevity. There are plenty of anodized 80%s out there too. For the extra surface hardness I'd go that way.

The two lowers waiting at home are actually polymer 80% lowers. Not from EP or Ares. I'm interested in phasing with them because they take less expensive tools to make. When I build them I'll let you guys know if they're worth a damn.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »
I was just at the Midwest Industries factory store a few days ago. They had cases of Bolt carrier groups and carbine barrels on the floor- all priced very reasonably. I could have walked out of there with a brand new BCM rifle if I had an extra $1100 burning a hole in my pocket.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

erictank

• friends
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »
That's a crap jig. I've been obsessing over the 80% stuff for a while now. The good jigs have steel inserts around the do holes to help with longevity. There are plenty of anodized 80%s out there too. For the extra surface hardness I'd go that way.

The two lowers waiting at home are actually polymer 80% lowers. Not from EP or Ares. I'm interested in phasing with them because they take less expensive tools to make. When I build them I'll let you guys know if they're worth a damn.

At $135 for lower AND jig, even if it only lasts for two lowers (heck even for ONE), that doesn't strike me as a horrific deal. Though longer-lasting is better, and anodized would be preferable. OTOH, it'd have to be reanodized afterwards anyways, to treat the cut surfaces, so that part's not really a dealbreaker for me.

I've stayed away from the polymer ones, simply because I don't have a good feel for whether they'd hold up to reasonable use. I look forward to hearing about your experiences there.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »
Palmetto armory has been putting all sorts of lower deals into their daily emails.  Many of them include Buy this rifle and get 2 lowers with it.  

I notice Primary Arms has some tempting deals on Daniel Defense rifles.  Even if you don't want additional AR's, it might provide an opportunity to upgrade the quality of your collection.  I've had an LMT lower for years.  I might finally get an LMT upper to go with it.

Hey, MechAg, want to thank ya for that. I bought a $160 full lower with Magpul stock/grip from PSA. They're a bit backlogged from their Easter sale, but worth the wait. I've seen uppers for $200-400. Something nice to be said for a $360-600 AR that's actually decent middle shelf components.   =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 01:29:19 PM »

You're obviously just a troll.   :-*
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 02:19:43 PM »
Hey, MechAg, want to thank ya for that. I bought a $160 full lower with Magpul stock/grip from PSA. They're a bit backlogged from their Easter sale, but worth the wait. I've seen uppers for $200-400. Something nice to be said for a $360-600 AR that's actually decent middle shelf components.   =D
I have been eyeing those cheap complete uppers also.  I already have middle of the road AR's though.  I want to actually work on upgrading.  The only reason to buy those for me is to stash it until the next run on guns.  I need other stuff first like a safe, not to mention some home repairs that will suck up income. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
I have been eyeing those cheap complete uppers also.  I already have middle of the road AR's though.  I want to actually work on upgrading.  The only reason to buy those for me is to stash it until the next run on guns.  I need other stuff first like a safe, not to mention some home repairs that will suck up income. 

Same. But this was too good to pass up.

Still need a larger safe, a NFA trust, generator, gardening, retaining walls, finish up some of the bathroom remodeling, install a wood stove, etc. Owning a home is fun. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.