Author Topic: Goodyear gets woke, then gets pummeled  (Read 3499 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Goodyear gets woke, then gets pummeled
« on: August 19, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »
Goodyear Tire and Rubber got caught with their rainbow pants down when an employee shared photos of a "diversity training" meeting presentation slide. "We like and support people like BLM and LGBTEIEIO groups, but don't let us catch you wearing a MAGA had or talking about those hatemongers at Blue Lives Matter!"

Goodyear has issued a statement they think is wrapped in enough corporate-speak to 'splain it away. Unfortunately (for them, anyway), all it does is give support to the narrative presented in the original photo. Comments on their Facebook post presenting the statement are, shall we say, less than congratulatory.

https://www.facebook.com/GoodyearNorthAmerica/photos/a.1744229989151091/2849193141988098/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/GoodyearNorthAmerica/

Five bucks says their FB page is disabled by end of day, or at least comments are. I also imagine more than a few police depts and law enforcement agencies are in the process of canceling their tire purchase contracts.

Their stock price is also reflecting the public's disdain. It's down 3.7% since this morning and still falling.

*Edit to add* Guy I know who works at a local trucking service just told me the owner decreed Goodyear is persona non grata effective immediately. They buy about a $100k worth of tires a year, much of which has traditionally been Goodyear. They also buy $20k-$50k worth of hoses and fittings, many of which are Goodyear branded. Doesn't take long for numbers like that to add up.

Brad

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:47:04 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Goodyear gets woke, then gets pummeled
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
Ah, the face of left-leaning tolerance...

I'm working for a very large corporation that is going whole hog on how woke and inclusive and accepting it is...

I'm not going to test the waters by wearing a MAGA hat to find out just how inclusive and accepting it really is.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Ah, the face of left-leaning tolerance...

I'm working for a very large corporation that is going whole hog on how woke and inclusive and accepting it is...

I'm not going to test the waters by wearing a MAGA hat to find out just how inclusive and accepting it really is.

Thankfully, most of (if not all) the people I actually work with are staunchly conservative. I keep away from the union rabble and tend to keep my politics out of the workplace and generally refrain from engaging in political and religious discussions with my co-workers even when we are in agreement.
As long as I'm drawing a paycheck from the company I'll refrain from publicly commenting on any company political statements as well.
That being said, I'm really hoping to be able to retire by the end of the year.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 03:38:53 PM »
I wonder what percentage of their tires go on cop cars?

I don't understand why these companies, when they do crap like this, just don't lowest common denominator it and ban everything, including BLM. Once a business starts picking sides like this, they get into trouble. Especially because it seems they always diss the people who buy their product to appease people who don't buy their product.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 04:37:10 PM »
I wonder what percentage of their tires go on cop cars?

I don't understand why these companies, when they do crap like this, just don't lowest common denominator it and ban everything, including BLM. Once a business starts picking sides like this, they get into trouble. Especially because it seems they always diss the people who buy their product to appease people who don't buy their product.
Makes you wonder if the upper management agrees with the slides or if it was just a corporate diversity group taking a radical stance.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 04:52:16 PM »
Makes you wonder if the upper management agrees with the slides or if it was just a corporate diversity group taking a radical stance.
I'd bet the latter, but I'd also bet that the corporate diversity types own HR, so it is probably a distinction without a difference.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
Down 5.8% in two days.  They may have felt that one.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 05:15:31 PM »
At root, it's all extortion. 

Validate me or I'll burn down your house and eat your children.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:39:00 PM »
Despite the fact this has to be enforced by coercion and fear it is very organic and grass roots  ;/

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »
My stupid *expletive deleted*ing peace corps sister works at their corp HQ,  can't wait to here her BS take on this one.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 07:31:38 AM »
I'm seeing a bunch of stuff now that this thing at Goodyear was an individual branch manager doing this, by himself. Anyone know for certain?

Just found this article that appears to put more perspective into the whole mess, but it still doesn't clear up where the No MAGA slide came from.

https://fox8.com/news/audio-from-goodyear-training-session-reveals-more-about-the-companys-zero-tolerance-policy/

I've had one set of Goodyear tires in my life -- the new Eagles that were on my 1992 Plymouth when I bought it. They were not very good tires at all. They didn't wear well, they didn't grip well, and when I replaced them I went with a set of Coopers that were about 1/3rd cheaper and were FAR better tires. So I've never really been inclined to purchase Goodyear products... I guess I've been passively boycotting them for... 30 or so years?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 08:09:59 AM »
I’m sure that Joe and Martha Voteblue will buy a set of Goodyear’s for the Prius to show support. But the guy like Brad mentioned is the one that matters. I’ve boycotted Goodyear for years since they can’t make a decent race car tire.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 08:29:21 AM »
Those on the right need to exercise their economic muscle and make the meme "go woke, go broke" into a reality.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 09:18:17 AM »
I'm seeing a bunch of stuff now that this thing at Goodyear was an individual branch manager doing this, by himself. Anyone know for certain?

Just found this article that appears to put more perspective into the whole mess, but it still doesn't clear up where the No MAGA slide came from.

https://fox8.com/news/audio-from-goodyear-training-session-reveals-more-about-the-companys-zero-tolerance-policy/

I've had one set of Goodyear tires in my life -- the new Eagles that were on my 1992 Plymouth when I bought it. They were not very good tires at all. They didn't wear well, they didn't grip well, and when I replaced them I went with a set of Coopers that were about 1/3rd cheaper and were FAR better tires. So I've never really been inclined to purchase Goodyear products... I guess I've been passively boycotting them for... 30 or so years?

The article, the public statement, and the audio confirms what the other articles said.

Goodyear has decreed no "political" statements are allowed. Except that SJW causes are deemed "not political."

Gee, how convenient.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
As of this morning there are 23K comments on the Facebook post linked above. I scrolled through a dozen or so pages and didn't see a single positive entry.

Good.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 12:47:00 PM »
Goodyear released a statement following the president’s tweet, saying in part that the company has zero tolerance for any form of harassment or intimidation.

We encourage everyone who may be different to wear a label.  Being just another Goodyear employee who is a part of the team is not allowed. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »
Look for, the racist label, when you are targeting, a person, or group...

Didn't Al Gore's Mom sing that to him as a lullaby when he was a baby?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 05:39:43 PM »
Now the Chairman/Pres/CEO has issued a letter that says pretty much what the press release yesterday said, only in slightly different words.

https://www.facebook.com/GoodyearNorthAmerica/photos/a.1744229989151091/2850579448516134/?type=3&theater

He tries to gloss over the slide's origins, attempting to make it appear as an employee's simple mistake rather than the fact that it was in an official HR training presentation. He mentions it was a "plant employee trying to explain what is acceptable to wear in the workplace". This infers it was some low-level functionary who didn't know better and misspoke (mis-typed?). Yet, in audio from the meeting they specifically state that an HR rep is standing by to answer questions. That strongly indicates the slide was developed, approved, and inserted into a presentation by their HR dept, a corporate entity both intimately familiar with, and a proponent of, corporate policy and ethos. Keep in mind that yesterday they plainly stated that the slide was not part of their training in any way shape or form. Now, they're admitting it was part of their training, but only because some unknowing employee had poor communication skills. Frankly, I believe both positions are straight-up bull feces, overt attempts at spinning their way out of getting caught red-handed.

He also says "We have clarified our policy to make it clear associates can express support for law enforcement through apparel at Goodyear facilities". Note the obvious omission of Blue Lives Matter. Given they are specifically named in the original slide, my guess is that employees are free to use expressions of support on apparel so long as it isn't Blue Lives Matter. He states again in the next paragraph that Goodyear supports law enforcement but, again, is careful to not use Blue Lives Matter in the wording. Hopefully someone posts the "clarification" all over the interwebs. It's sure to be a doozy.

Finally, and most telling, in the first sentence of the third paragraph, which essentially begins the meat of the entire letter, he expressly states Goodyear does not endorse a political organization. Yet neither this letter nor the previous press release mentions scrubbing BLM from acceptance due to their patently political base organizational function. They realized they chainsawed their own crank with real customers and are trying to backpedal, but in a way which doesn't address (or offend) the single biggest part of the problem.

Same song and dance, just a different band playing. Too bad their annual stockholders meeting is usually in April. I have the feeling if it were to happen now, Goodyear might find itself with a completely new set of senior executives.

Brad
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »
Looks like the CEO is doing a 180 or give the appearance of doing so

Goodyear’s CEO ‘clarifies’ company’s policy, says employees can express support for law enforcement through apparel
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/08/20/goodyears-ceo-clarifies-companys-policy-says-employees-can-express-support-for-law-enforcement-through-apparel/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
I've had one set of Goodyear tires in my life -- the new Eagles that were on my 1992 Plymouth when I bought it. They were not very good tires at all. They didn't wear well, they didn't grip well, and when I replaced them I went with a set of Coopers that were about 1/3rd cheaper and were FAR better tires.

I've had two. The Mustang I had came from the factory with them, and they were garbage. I replaced the set at about 15k miles, and every one of them had at least 2 patches in them. Total nail bait. My Challenger also came with them. Replaced them at about 9500 miles. Still had plenty of tread left; but I couldn't pull away from a stoplight on a damp road without lighting up the rears. Driving on the highway when it was raining was a complete white knuckle affair. Absolutely terrible in the wet. Switched to Michelins, and it was like night and day.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 10:55:42 PM »
Factory tires are crap. Brand doesn't matter.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 11:34:49 PM »

As a general rule, I agree. With the exception of a few sports cars, and higher level jeeps, car companies just buy the cheapest things that will keep the wheels from making contact with the ground. My experience was just that the two worst tires I've ever experienced also happened to be Goodyears.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 01:22:34 AM »

My theory is that OEM tires are spec'd to be smooth and quiet running when they are new.  And that's all.  (the quiet might not last past about 50% treadlife, and that can come pretty fast)  Traction, especially in light snow or on wet roads, doesn't really matter.  As an added bonus (for the carmaker) a tire like that is cheap.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 09:35:18 AM »
All Goodyear tires I've had were garbage. Only have bought maybe two sets but several cars I've bought came with them, all crap tires.

One of the sets I bought were Eagles, the sidewalls were so weak the car wiggled in turns. Drove straight back and had them remove them
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes